Back To School Bake Sales Already!!!!!

Decorating By notjustcake Updated 16 Aug 2006 , 3:02pm by koppeskreations

notjustcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
notjustcake Posted 16 Aug 2006 , 11:23am
post #1 of 7

We are back to school and the PTA has already issued a date for a Bake Sale. I am so looking forward to it. For some of use who don't know I am almost done with Wilton course 3 and can't wait to start practicing what I have learned. Has anyone ever done a Bake Sale at your child's school? Any tips or advice that you have for me? How many cakes is reasonable to donate and the size of the cake (although I have an idea since most families in my school have an average of three kids) Any ideas on themes or kinds of cakes. Anything will help if you have done this before thanks

6 replies
vickymacd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vickymacd Posted 16 Aug 2006 , 11:34am
post #2 of 7

With my 7 kids, I'm an expert at schools and bake sales!! Most PTA's are happy just to get ONE item from every family. Don't go 'whole hog' into it though. Most people will buy cookies, brownies, etc. AND most people will eat it as they are walking through the halls. Especially if this is an open house deal and families have their kids with them! If you trying to start a business, yes, decorate a cake and put your card there. But experience tells me that 'cheap' sells. Also, don't (if using cookies, brownies) try to package an entire dozen. Package individual brownies in a cupcake liner and bag it, tie it with a ribbon, decorate the cookie/cupcake/brownie. Trust me, this won't be the last bake sale you'll be expected to bake for, so don't wreck yourself over it. Good Luck!

notjustcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
notjustcake Posted 16 Aug 2006 , 11:45am
post #3 of 7

Thank you now I think cupcakes are better than I realy enjoy making cupcakes, I love the cake walk too. I am not looking to start a business at the moment I am pregnant now and first my babies then cakes but I enjoy making cakes I just can't keep them in the house I will totally eat it all in one day.

Momof4luvscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Momof4luvscakes Posted 16 Aug 2006 , 11:56am
post #4 of 7

My children's school has a carnival in which we have a cake walk. Guess who makes the majority of the cakes? I either do 6 inch rounds or package a box of 6 cupcakes. This is a big money maker for our school. It is the hit of the carnival!

shebaben Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shebaben Posted 16 Aug 2006 , 11:58am
post #5 of 7

You're correct - individual items are always appreciated. I've worked myself into that position at our preschool bake sales of people expecting 3 or 4 cakes, 10 dozen or so cookies, some cupcakes, etc. etc. etc. The Fall Festival/Halloween sale just about does me in each year, and the Christmas and Easter ones are getting just as bad! I often put my cookies on plates of a dozen and they sell well. Also, try baking a 6 inch or small loaf pan size cake or two for families without so many members; those have been appreciated, too. I don't do the decorating nearly so well as I would like to, but people often say that they're first in line to try to get some of my goodies - what a nice feeling!! thumbs_up.gif Let us know what you decide to try. PAT

jennifer293 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennifer293 Posted 16 Aug 2006 , 12:51pm
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momof4luvscakes

My children's school has a carnival in which we have a cake walk. Guess who makes the majority of the cakes? I either do 6 inch rounds or package a box of 6 cupcakes. This is a big money maker for our school. It is the hit of the carnival!

Our cake walk at school is the biggest money maker, last year was my first year getting to do cakes for this event (the mr and mrs frankenstein in my pics). Instead of using them for the cake walk they put them in the auction and auctioned them off they said they would bring more money. Our fall festival this year is Sept. 30th and I have already been looking around for cake ideas for this year..LOL I also had my mom and DH's mom and cousins bring cookies and cakes to donate for the cake walk.

koppeskreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
koppeskreations Posted 16 Aug 2006 , 3:02pm
post #7 of 7

I am so jealous all, my kids just entering school oldest in 1st, and they have done away with homebaked goods. You can only bring in prepackaged items, like hostess.

I hate it, I was so excited about sending my daughter to school with cool cupcakes, but no more.
icon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%