Royal Icing Drop Flowers- How Early Can They Be Made?

Decorating By JoJo4 Updated 18 Jun 2005 , 12:53am by JoJo4

JoJo4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoJo4 Posted 14 Jun 2005 , 6:38pm
post #1 of 6

Hello! I have to make 65 drop flowers for a cake I am making for next Saturday. The color flow decorations are drying and I was thinking of making the drop flowers ahead of time too - can i? Or will they go stale/bad? If I do make them ahead what do I make them on and how do I transfer them from whatever I have them on to the cake?? I've read that royal icing dries really hard so does that make it easy to transfer them or harder cuz they will break? I am very new to this so I have lots of questions. The flowers have to be in clusters, should I cluster them when piping them or do it after when I put them on the cake. Sorry for all the questions.

5 replies
crp7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crp7 Posted 17 Jun 2005 , 3:59pm
post #2 of 6

Sorry to be so long but I just saw your questions.

Royal icing dries hard and can be handled easily. You can make them ahead of time on wax or parchment paper and let them dry. Once dry you can keep them in a container at room temperature for a very long time. I have some I just used that I made about 6 months ago. I could not tell the difference in the taste.

Because they dry hard you will want to make extras in case some break when you store or use them. But that is not too much of a problem.

The drop flowers can be done separately then put into clusters on the cake. I made one like this and I just piped a line or pile of buttercream onto the cake where the cluster would go and then stuck on the royal flowers. You can look at my photos and see the yellow anniversary cake I made with the flower clusters hanging over the side. It was really pretty easy I just allowed to flowers to overlap in some areas to make them look more dimensional.

crp7 Posted 17 Jun 2005 , 4:34pm
post #3 of 6

I forgot to mention that since you can make drop flowers fairly quickly once you get your rythmn down when I make a batch of royal icing I jsut make a bunch of drop flowers in various sizes and save them for those quick or last minute cakes.

Cindy

JoJo4 Posted 17 Jun 2005 , 5:26pm
post #4 of 6

Thank you thank you!! I appreicate you responding. This is very helpful!!

crp7 Posted 17 Jun 2005 , 9:51pm
post #5 of 6

Be sure to post a picture when you are done!

Cindy

JoJo4 Posted 18 Jun 2005 , 12:53am
post #6 of 6

I sure will. This will be my first real elaborate cake. I've done a few buttercream transfers, but this one is a 3 tiered (pillar and stacked contruction) graduation cake. Should be interesting. I've done all the flowers and color flow which will probably seem easy when I get to the smoothing of the icing and assembling the cake! icon_biggrin.gif Thanks for your support.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%