Stacked Cake Recipe?

Baking By Tinarie Updated 21 May 2015 , 8:48pm by kakeladi

Tinarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tinarie Posted 15 Aug 2006 , 5:36am
post #1 of 4

Hi Everyone! I love to bake cakes but always have a problem with stacking my cakes. If I'm going to stack a cake do I need to use a certains recipe for my cake. I usually just make a bigger recipe for whatever cake I've choosen so I can make a stacked cake. I like the look of a stacked cake rather than a single layer. The best I can find is a book by Carol Deacon called "Perfect Party Cakes". It has a recipe for sponge cake. Does anyone make sponge cake and does it taste good? Thanks

3 replies
Cyndi1207 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cyndi1207 Posted 15 Aug 2006 , 5:44am
post #2 of 4

I just make regular recipes...sometimes with the extender to make the batter stretch. You can get that recipe here on CC. I've never done a sponge cake. I think if you were going to scuplt a cake or make a 3-d cake then you would need a firmer batter but for just stacking the tiers I think you're fine with a regular recipe.

Cheechtastic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cheechtastic Posted 21 May 2015 , 3:29am
post #3 of 4

WARNING! I used a doctored chocolate cake recipe that used DH cake mix with sour cream and pudding. The cake looked like it stacked beautifully so I covered it with fondant, stacked it and went to bed. The next morning I found it collapsed. The wooden dowel slide right through the cake and it toppled. It was a tough lesson!!

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 21 May 2015 , 8:48pm
post #4 of 4

This is a VERY OLD! post but incase someone needs the information I'll add this:  

As a general rule one does not need any special recipe of cake to stack tiers.

The most important thing is that each layer of cake is level and you use support (dowels/ straws) to support the upper tiers.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%