Pool/lifeguard Cake?

Decorating By MrsMom Updated 27 Jun 2007 , 5:04pm by MrsMom

MrsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMom Posted 25 Jun 2007 , 6:52pm
post #1 of 15

I have been scouring the galleries, trying to come up with ideas for my niece's bday cake in a couple weeks. My SIL wants me to incorporate a beach Barbie. At first I was thinking of making Barbie into a hula girl with the wondermold. Other ideas I had included making sand and water and having Barbie on the beach with a little paper umbrella and fish/octopus in the water, making a large beach ball and sandcastle, making a kiddie pool with MMF kids in it and having Barbie "supervising" from a nearby lawn chair, making a boat and putting Barbie on it, and making a large pool/ocean and having Barbie be the lifeguard.

I also fell in love with this cake, but don't know how to incorporate Barbie without having it look funny. (since she's so long and leggy! icon_smile.gif )

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_629283.html

Anyway, I tried searching for "lifeguard" in the gallery and didn't find anything...how would you do it? None of the ideas are really jumping out at me...which do you think sounds cute for a 3 year old girl?

14 replies
Zahrah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Zahrah Posted 25 Jun 2007 , 8:57pm
post #2 of 15

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_653683.html

I thought this was cute adn put it in my favorites. You can easily build off of this....

MrsMom Posted 25 Jun 2007 , 10:24pm
post #3 of 15

Thanks for the link...I actually have that one in my faves too!

My question is, though, would Barbie would strange/ginormous (I think I made that word up icon_razz.gif ) next to the pool?

ilovetocook Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ilovetocook Posted 25 Jun 2007 , 10:45pm
post #4 of 15

i think you could do something like that link above and put barbie on the side tanning or something and make the kids smaller i guess and maybe have a little fondant dog icon_biggrin.gif

weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 25 Jun 2007 , 10:48pm
post #5 of 15

Why dont you use a cupcake sliced in half and a whole cut out of the center and make Barbie wearing a life preserver? And then you can do the pool and the ground up nilla wafers for the sand and the drink umbrellas for the umbrella. Gummy fish for the water and fruit roll-ups for the towels? I would even dap some RI on her nose to make it look like sunscreen!! Or if you really want to get creative you can make a gumpaste lifeguard tower and have her sitting in it with the preserver as an accessory!

Zahrah Posted 25 Jun 2007 , 10:49pm
post #6 of 15

::chuckle:: Yes - she would look ginormous.

However, if you make the other pool party attendees mostly submerged like in that photo, you could make the body parts above the water (head for example) closer to Barbie's size.

MrsMom Posted 25 Jun 2007 , 11:47pm
post #7 of 15

Thanks, there are some good ideas here. Anyone else want to help?

blessBeckysbaking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blessBeckysbaking Posted 26 Jun 2007 , 10:40am
post #8 of 15

this is a fav of mine and you should be able to fit the doll on the cake some way I never posted b-4 hope it works.
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_50927.html

gakali Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gakali Posted 26 Jun 2007 , 10:58am
post #9 of 15

Thanks, Zahrah - that's my cake you posted the link to! Woohoo! I feel famous (sorry, I've only been doing this for a year or so - first time anyone's mentioned one of my cakes!!)! icon_lol.gificon_cool.gif I also have the other pool cake in my favorites (by twins5485 - just posted by becky). I agree that that one would work well for Barbie, since she's so big. Maybe you could just use little "Barbies" (from the dollar store, or it could get expensive!) and put them in the pool. It might look a bit odd with fondant kids and a Barbie lifeguard. It sounds kind of morbid, but you could pull heads off bodies and just have heads floating in the water - same thing with arms or legs (like having a little one doing a handstand in the pool). Would that scare the kids at the party?! icon_eek.gificon_biggrin.gif

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 26 Jun 2007 , 11:09am
post #10 of 15

you can probably make it deep, like this cake and stick barbie in it...just a thought.
LL

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 26 Jun 2007 , 11:10am
post #11 of 15

no....this isn't my cake. icon_confused.gif (lol)

Zahrah Posted 26 Jun 2007 , 12:23pm
post #12 of 15

Do you think it would be better to go with a sheet cake if you're wanting to do a full size Barbie? This would help with the size issue.

These cakes are all so creative. Someone please give me a reason to make a pool cake! Hhmmm?

MrsMom Posted 26 Jun 2007 , 2:00pm
post #13 of 15

Yeah, I could do a sheet cake. All I have right now is a 9x13, though. I'm just starting out, so I don't have many pans yet.

blessBeckysbaking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blessBeckysbaking Posted 27 Jun 2007 , 12:45pm
post #14 of 15

you can make a few 9x13's and set them side by side to have a larger sheet cake.

MrsMom Posted 27 Jun 2007 , 5:04pm
post #15 of 15

Yeah, I could do that too. I just wish Barbie wasn't so stinkin' big...it would be nice to be able to do a cute, compact cake. If she wasn't so BIG I could do just an 8x4 or 8x6 inch round!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%