How Do I Put Together A 'starter Kit' For Making Cakes??

Decorating By cwhughes79 Updated 25 Jun 2007 , 7:30pm by CakesbyMonica

cwhughes79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cwhughes79 Posted 25 Jun 2007 , 6:26pm
post #1 of 13

I am taking a Wilton class at Michael's in July, but I would like to try working with fondant and such before the class.

What are newbie MUST HAVES for starting out?? This will be a hobby, not a business.

12 replies
roxxxy_luvs_duff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
roxxxy_luvs_duff Posted 25 Jun 2007 , 6:34pm
post #2 of 13

I would buy the wilton caddy(dark blue one) that comes with all sorts of goodies in it .iti s expensive but you can use the 40% coupon if you hae a micheals nearby. joanns has 50% off coupons sometimes

cwhughes79 Posted 25 Jun 2007 , 6:36pm
post #3 of 13

Will that include items use to work with fondant?

darandon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darandon Posted 25 Jun 2007 , 6:41pm
post #4 of 13

YOu could even pick up the Wilton class kit for the Fondant & Gumpaste class. It has all of the stuff you could play with.

jmt1714 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmt1714 Posted 25 Jun 2007 , 6:41pm
post #5 of 13

[quote="roxxxy_luvs_duff"]I would buy the wilton caddy(dark blue one) that comes with all sorts of goodies in it .iti s expensive but you can use the 40% coupon if you hae a micheals nearby. joanns has 50% off coupons sometimes[/quotehave to disagree. don't get the wilton caddy or any of their other storage items. go to a hardware store like lowes or home depot or even wal-mart and check out the tool chests and caddies and such there. also check sports sections for storage for fishing gear (lures, hooks, etc.). MUCH cheaper and have more options.

Get a basic set of tips - you will eventully figure out which you use the most, so get more of those. Don't invest in too much of the wilton stuff - look around here and you will see other sites for other brands of tools. Sometimes more expensive, but better quality, IMHO.

roxxxy_luvs_duff Posted 25 Jun 2007 , 6:42pm
post #6 of 13

http://www.wilton.com/store/site/product.cfm?id=3E30CE7F-475A-BAC0-5C84F2613EBB520D&fid=3E32F5E3-475A-BAC0-560B229FE201C5B8

this is what it comes with

for fondant i would just buy the big wilton roller and the roll and cut mat

fooby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fooby Posted 25 Jun 2007 , 6:44pm
post #7 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwhughes79

The only thing fondant-related to the kit mentioned above is the fondant smoother. You may want to research more on what kind of fondant tricks you want to achieve. If you just want to learn how to cover a cake, I guess a non-stick rolling pin and the roll and cut mat. These are both made by Wilton but there are other brands out there as well. The nice thing about Wilton products is you can buy them either at AC Moore or Hobby Lobby at 40% if you enrolled for discounts.

The great thing about the kit above is it will serve you well for the duration of all three Wilton courses. HTH.

roxxxy_luvs_duff Posted 25 Jun 2007 , 6:47pm
post #8 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by fooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwhughes79

The only thing fondant-related to the kit mentioned above is the fondant smoother. You may want to research more on what kind of fondant tricks you want to achieve. If you just want to learn how to cover a cake, I guess a non-stick rolling pin and the roll and cut mat. These are both made by Wilton but there are other brands out there as well. The nice thing about Wilton products is you can buy them either at AC Moore or Hobby Lobby at 40% if you enrolled for discounts.

The great thing about the kit above is it will serve you well for the duration of all three Wilton courses. HTH.

yes the kit willget you thru the wilton courses and was easier for me to buy than somehting else because it came with a lot of things you need when starting this as a hobby and if you buy from a store you dont ave to pay sipping. the kit has a fondant smoother and a small wodden roller

smbegg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smbegg Posted 25 Jun 2007 , 6:50pm
post #9 of 13

Well, here is what I did. I took course I and II. So I bought the course kits for those classes. They give you a good assortment of tips ect.

Invest in a good angled spatula to frost.

Then I bought the empty caddy to put everything in. I also bought the Wilton wedding pan set so I could have an assortment of pan sizes to work with. (though in hindsite, I am not so happy with the way the pans have an angle to them, but they are usable. I would just buy 2 each of a straight sided pan (the singles are not nesting, so they don't sloap) in 6", 8", and 9" round and a 9x13 those are the ones I use the most.)

If you want fondant stuff, course III is where you learn that. So you could buy that and/or the Wilton Gumpaste set (comes with a book, cutters and shapers). If you are wanting to work with fondant, I would suggest a good rolling pin and mat (viynal sheeting from Walmart sewing area works great!)

That's where I would go! Just know that you will not learn fondant in class I or II.

Stephanie

cwhughes79 Posted 25 Jun 2007 , 6:56pm
post #10 of 13

Thank you all so much!! I feel like I have some idea of what I need to start out.

Take Care!!

Hippiemama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Hippiemama Posted 25 Jun 2007 , 7:01pm
post #11 of 13

Everyone gave you good advice. Just wanted to say welcome to an addictive hobby!

CakesbyMonica Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesbyMonica Posted 25 Jun 2007 , 7:29pm
post #12 of 13

You should check to see if you have a cake hobby store near you, they often sell things cheaper and have different brands to chose from.

CakesbyMonica Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesbyMonica Posted 25 Jun 2007 , 7:30pm
post #13 of 13

Cake Castle Bakery & Supplies
(916) 394-4040

5601 66th Ave # C
Sacramento, CA 95823

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%