Scroll Work Tutorials

Decorating By Charb31 Updated 15 Mar 2010 , 11:24pm by dalis4joe

Charb31 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Charb31 Posted 25 Jun 2007 , 5:27pm
post #1 of 44

I have seen alot of cakes lately with scroll work on them, and in the comments below, numerous people have asked for a tutorial on scrollwork.

Would someone who is very good at this be willing to do a tutorial on it?

I love the look of it, but am just afraid to try it on a cake without additional info on it.

I'm sure I speak for others with this tut request.

Thank you so much!!

43 replies
MikkelPaige Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikkelPaige Posted 25 Jun 2007 , 5:32pm
post #2 of 44

AGREED!

Did you email the administrators of the website w/that request? Maybe someone has already volunteered or they have a good person in mind to ask.

Amy729 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amy729 Posted 25 Jun 2007 , 5:40pm
post #3 of 44

Add me to the list. I am a beginner and love the way they look. So elegant. I would love to learn!!!!

PaulaT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PaulaT Posted 25 Jun 2007 , 5:52pm
post #4 of 44

Hi everyone,
I'm no master at this by any means but like all of you I really like the appearance of good scrollwork. It very elegant looking and many brides like it as well. It takes a lot of practice and a good icing. So far I've found that using a little larger tip like a #3 or even larger lets you have more control. Also a nice soft icing makes a big difference too. Adding corn syrup, piping gel or just a nice soft chocolate works well too. For my last wedding cake I used the Wilton scroll plastic formers (can't recall the actual name) and made the indentations on the cake. I haven't used a tutorial - just tried teaching myself. Good luck - any more tips from anyone are sure welcomed!!

Manda1panda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Manda1panda Posted 30 Jul 2007 , 2:42pm
post #5 of 44

A tutorial would be wonderful. I've been searching for any posts with scrollwork in them to see if I can find some tips. Since I'm a visual learner like many other people, I too would like to see a tutorial. Great idea!

dalis4joe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dalis4joe Posted 14 Mar 2010 , 3:21am
post #6 of 44

Are there any updates on this? do we have a scroll tutorial? still interested!!

iris711 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iris711 Posted 14 Mar 2010 , 3:35am
post #7 of 44

add me to this list. thanks
icon_biggrin.gif

joy5678 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joy5678 Posted 14 Mar 2010 , 3:37am
post #8 of 44

I've looked everywhere for some help on this one.........add me to the list too!

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 14 Mar 2010 , 3:49am
post #9 of 44

Have you tried youtube?

xiswtsawluiix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xiswtsawluiix Posted 14 Mar 2010 , 3:53am
post #10 of 44

I would love to see the tutorial if there is one. Scroll work looks so elegant and pretty, but also so intimidating. Any suggestions to make the process easier would be so great!

dalis4joe Posted 14 Mar 2010 , 4:02am
post #11 of 44

I have searched you tube and NOTHING! icon_cry.gif

I know a lot of our family of CC'ers know how to do this work... pleaseeee make a tutorial....
Look at this.... is amazing work.... and I wanna learn icon_redface.gif
LL

kickasscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kickasscakes Posted 14 Mar 2010 , 4:31am
post #12 of 44

me toooooo

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 14 Mar 2010 , 4:41am
post #13 of 44

I will say sadly to you guys that even though I can do a tutorial on the subject, the scroll work is not something that can be taught.

Is basically like writing. You need a good consistency of buttercream that flows
well through the tip. I dont use a pattern, following patterns are more difficult than
creating them on your own.
Pracitce is the best way, it's like writing, the more you do it, the easier it gets.

Edna icon_smile.gif

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 14 Mar 2010 , 4:54am
post #14 of 44

Edna, do you use butter cream or royal icing? I thought all scroll work was done with royal....???

dalis4joe Posted 14 Mar 2010 , 5:16am
post #15 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonedna

I will say sadly to you guys that even though I can do a tutorial on the subject, the scroll work is not something that can be taught.

Is basically like writing. You need a good consistency of buttercream that flows
well through the tip. I dont use a pattern, following patterns are more difficult than
creating them on your own.
Pracitce is the best way, it's like writing, the more you do it, the easier it gets.

Edna icon_smile.gif

I agree.... but it's like icing a cake... I was icing cakes in a way that was not giving me the results I was looking for... by me looking at tutorials like Sharon Zambito... and your youtube tutorial... and Norm's.... I was able to adjust... modify... apply... hints... tips... ways to do it and since then... I am proud to say that I can do a buttercream cake with no qualms about it looking bad... it comes out great everytime... but I know that it's because of the research I did and because people like you.. and Sharon.. and Norm and others that were kind enough to share their techniques with us...

hint hint... you would be greattttt doing that tutorial!!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

debster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debster Posted 14 Mar 2010 , 12:59pm
post #16 of 44

I am soooooooooooooooooooooooooo weak in this area also!!!!!!! I did one last summer cause the lady begged for it and she was happy with it but I sure wasn't. I did find after trying to follow a pattern I said the heck with it and did the rest on my own. Even though it looked crappy what I did free hand was still better than the first with the pattern.

There is one that I LOVE and want to do it's white on white just partially on the side swept but somehow it looks like it's done with a wider tip and almost a stiffer icing lice Royal does anyone know what I'm talking about or should I try to post a picture? Thanks for any help here also!!!!!

iris711 Posted 14 Mar 2010 , 1:22pm
post #17 of 44

thanks Edna, I have seen some of your tutorials on YOUTUBE and they are fantastic, very easy to understand. Is it to much to ask for you to make one doing the scrolls? Again thanks. icon_biggrin.gifthumbs_up.gif

lchristi27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lchristi27 Posted 14 Mar 2010 , 1:23pm
post #18 of 44

How about using a stencil? It's not piped on, but it's not too hard, I know there are a few tutorials on here for doing it. And of course Sharon Zambito has it on her video's.

tonedna Posted 14 Mar 2010 , 3:58pm
post #19 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by lchristi27

How about using a stencil? It's not piped on, but it's not too hard, I know there are a few tutorials on here for doing it. And of course Sharon Zambito has it on her video's.

Stencils are beatuful, but definitively they dont give you the same fee as pipingl. The lines are flat, is a whole completeley different look.
Not to say is a beautiful technique.

I can make a tutorial, but Im not sure when. I am finishing my next DVD and I have a class in Texas.

In the meantime take a bag of piping and learn to press and move without breaking the icing. Is very important to learn to press and move at the same time.
Going too slow will only make your lines not straight. Going too fast without pressing enough will break your lines.

Edna icon_smile.gif

debster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debster Posted 14 Mar 2010 , 4:16pm
post #20 of 44

Edna.................I want to know how do you keep the s's and c's and swirls all the same size? Mine seem to be noticeably uneven in size. Thanks for any tips, you'll probably gonna say practice right? (Smiles)

tonedna Posted 14 Mar 2010 , 5:23pm
post #21 of 44

They are not completely perfect in size. That's the most ask cake I had over the years. Bride seem to love it. When I do my swirsl, I dont do the motion with my hand alone, the motion uses the whole arm.

The problem is that the majority of people, and I was one too, are scared of the piping. They try it once, and it doesnt look good, so they give up.

I didnt have a choice to give up, I had to make it happen, so I kept practicing on them until it gor easier.

Edna icon_smile.gif

iris711 Posted 15 Mar 2010 , 2:38am
post #22 of 44

Edna, will you be selling these dvd's? icon_biggrin.gif

tonedna Posted 15 Mar 2010 , 3:01am
post #23 of 44

I am working right now in one with smaller flowers. Is on the editing table as we speak..lol
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

dalis4joe Posted 15 Mar 2010 , 3:49am
post #24 of 44

Edna.... you are so wonderful... i just thought I'd let you know... you are very special in my book... a great decorator.. cake artists and always willing to help anyone and to share your know-how.,.. May God always continue to Bless you and yoru family... Thank You!

dalis4joe Posted 15 Mar 2010 , 3:51am
post #25 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonedna

They are not completely perfect in size. That's the most ask cake I had over the years. Bride seem to love it. When I do my swirsl, I dont do the motion with my hand alone, the motion uses the whole arm.

The problem is that the majority of people, and I was one too, are scared of the piping. They try it once, and it doesnt look good, so they give up.

I didnt have a choice to give up, I had to make it happen, so I kept practicing on them until it gor easier.

Edna icon_smile.gif

Hi Edna... if you don't mind..... ? for you...

Do you pipe the C's first then go back and pipe the tails on them... or do you do the tails as your piping the c's?

tonedna Posted 15 Mar 2010 , 3:58am
post #26 of 44

I usually finish the c with tail before I continue to the next one. That way I can tell better how my space is filling and what do I have to do next.
Edna icon_smile.gif

cathyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cathyscakes Posted 15 Mar 2010 , 4:04am
post #27 of 44

Hi Edna,
I just wanted to say that I love your stargazer lilly video, its awesome. thanks

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 15 Mar 2010 , 4:28am
post #28 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by madgeowens

Edna, do you use butter cream or royal icing? I thought all scroll work was done with royal....???

????????????

beemarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beemarie Posted 15 Mar 2010 , 4:51am
post #29 of 44

Yes, Royal icing or Bc? I would love to know as well. Thanks so much!!

tonedna Posted 15 Mar 2010 , 5:01am
post #30 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by cathyscakes

Hi Edna,
I just wanted to say that I love your stargazer lilly video, its awesome. thanks

Thanks Cathy!!!
Edna icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%