Need To Vent...

Decorating By newlywedws Updated 1 Jul 2007 , 10:47am by Sionann

newlywedws Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newlywedws Posted 25 Jun 2007 , 12:45am
post #1 of 11

Okay for starters I realise I'm not "God's gift to cake decorating" I realise I'm a beginner, and that there are many other cakes out there that look alot better than mine. Having said that, I've got to vent a frustration of mine.

My self confidence has never been great - so I figured I should do some
"Me" stuff -just so I would realise that I do have talents regardless of whether it's newly discovered, what have you...

One of the things I did was to take the 3 Wilton cake decorating classes, and I hope to eventually finish the latest wilton fondant/gumpaste course, well the cake decorating helped in more ways than one...I no longer have a sweet tooth!

Tonight I was talking to a friend that is expecting a baby in August (she took some cake decorating classes w/ me and has seen the various cakes I've made) and she mentioned that b/c she wasn't able to find out the gender of the baby (hospital will not do another ultrasound) the baby shower will not be until after the birth...so I was curious who was making the baby shower cake (hoping she would ask me to make it) and she said "____ is doing it"

I'm not saying I'm mad or angry...but I've seen cakes this lady has decorated and while they're not that unfortunate looking, you can tell that she's never taken a cake decorating class. The frosting is never smooth looking, the cakes are dry - I'm not a fan of supermarket cakes, but in her case...I am. She even told the mom-to-be that if it's a girl she is going to decorate the cake pink - even though, she KNOWS that the mom-to-be can't stand the colour pink.
I'm not like that, I would rather give a person the say so in the colour, flavour etc., I will spend time making sure that if a guest has a food allergy that they will also be able to partake of a piece of cake...and I
don't go cheap on my products either -I buy quality stuff, to make sure I am able to produce a quality cake.

I just want to throw a cake at this other lady icon_mad.gif

It is getting on my last nerve b/c it seems that this other person is constantly doing stuff like this. She knows that I enjoy doing ____ so automatically she starts doing it just for self recognition, and it's not just this instance but other things as well.
Maybe I'm behaving like a child, but I'm tired of it...she is at the point where she has to copy everything I do. I do alot of sewing also, so what does she do...she goes out and will buy the EXACT same fabric, and pattern...just b/c she's seen me wearing the outfit I've made. She's in it for self recognition. I'm not...I do things to improve my self confidence, and it is getting to the point where she bulldozes her way into misc situations ...and then she can't figure out why I want nothing to do w/ her!
Thank you for allowing me to vent -frustration release completed!

10 replies
dldbrou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dldbrou Posted 1 Jul 2007 , 2:57am
post #2 of 11

I feel your aggravation. On the bright side, have you ever heard of the saying, "To copy someone is a sincerest form of flattery". Next time you see that she has used your idea, just say, "Thank you for noticing my style, I am flattered."

Stefy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Stefy Posted 1 Jul 2007 , 3:05am
post #3 of 11

Sorry but I think you're being a little childish. This woman obviously looks up to you and admires you to some extent. And maybe your friend had reasons for asking her to do the cake.

DoniB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DoniB Posted 1 Jul 2007 , 3:13am
post #4 of 11

I disagree that she looks up to you... sometimes people just want to show other folks that they're better than you, not that they're just like you. Sigh. I've had to deal with that before, and it's not fun. If she truly looked up to you, she would have demurred when asked to do the cake, saying, "Well, really, so-and-so does those much better. You should ask her first." The fact that she's not taking the MTB's opinion into account shows that she thinks her taste is better, and that she wants to be in control.

Still, there's nothing you can really do about it, other than tell your friend honestly how you feel... that you're hurt and wanted to do the cake for her as a friend and to show welcome to the new little one about to enter your world. Perhaps if you have an open, honest discussion with her, she can tell you why she'd choose the other lady over you, and it might even help bring you closer together. icon_razz.gif

just my two cents' worth...

brwntab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brwntab Posted 1 Jul 2007 , 3:16am
post #5 of 11

i agree with Donib, she could be envy of you but I really can't say since its not me this is happening too. But I have known several people this have had an effect on. Good luck with your friend and figuring this out.

valora387 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
valora387 Posted 1 Jul 2007 , 3:18am
post #6 of 11

I try not to get upset when other people start pursuing the same hobbies as me, but sometimes I can't help it... it drives me nuts!
I've been decorating cakes for a little over a year now, and do most cakes for my family, and my older sister just informed me that she thinks she is going to take some cake decorating classes so that she can make the cakes from now on... icon_mad.gif
Maybe it is childish... after all, there are millions of people in the world, and only so many hobbies... but it can drive you crazy just the same!
I feel for you!

heavenscent Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heavenscent Posted 1 Jul 2007 , 3:19am
post #7 of 11

Maybe she offered to do the cake & your friend was not able to say no. Cheer up things could always be worse

GenGen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GenGen Posted 1 Jul 2007 , 3:42am
post #8 of 11

just cause some one admires somethign their friend does; repeated attempts as such as we've just heard isn't flattery its one upmanship. this friend is constantly trying to be the better one by such attempts- and such a person isn't being a friend. if you don't wish to say anything about it which is how i am too- i'd just ignore her behavior as she's doing it for attention and your her target for attention.

I have the same kind of "aquaintence" in town here who actually by her attempts has taken business from me who go to her now for orders and not to sound petty honestly - but my work is way better then hers. I never ever say this to anyone; i try to encourage her and compliment her work- everyone deserves it- but i too have gotten some distainful remarks from this person putting my cakes down and my frosting etc

one party folks knew i'v been in this business for years; they've seen my work this person's parents have even bought several cakes from me- but at one party she made several terrible cakes (i did compliment honest icon_smile.gif) and while i was complimenting her this was when she proceeded to put my cakes down in front of others.

I did not acknowledge the remarks then for what they were i just complimented her again and said i couldn't wait to see more of her work later then went to try and enjoy the cake serving I'd gotten .. it was dry and i dont know what she used in the frosting but i'm sure it wasn't butter and not sure about the crisco.

JILBRY Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JILBRY Posted 1 Jul 2007 , 3:50am
post #9 of 11

newlywedws
Don't let it get you down. There will be more cakes for you to do. I have looked at your cakes and they are very good.

blueeyedmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blueeyedmomma Posted 1 Jul 2007 , 9:15am
post #10 of 11

Who needs enemies when we have friends, there's just no time for both....lol. I have a few of these people myself. One has a hair fetish. I dont get brave much, but when I do and change the color or change the cut or style....guess who walks in Sunday morning with my haircut? I'm not kidding, just got my hair layered a few weeks ago, on a Wed. Came in to church on Sun. and there it was on someone else's head. So on Mon. I got brave and had it all wacked off, shortest it's ever been. Even highlighted it. Come the following Sunday....my shadow came in. I only have so much hair, makes me wanna invest in wigs. icon_mad.gificon_mad.gif
It's not that I am jealous or am upset. But when you do something for yourself (which for me is rare), i would like a few people noticing, rather than raving over her. So ye.ah, I guess it is jealousy. I guess i am guilty of stuff too, cause I get ideas from this site and use them on my cakes, but it isnt competitive
As far as having someone have a "rival" to make the cake, knowing it wont be as good or as personal as you would have done for them. Try having your best friend who NEVER wanted kids, become a new daddy and the little momma buys a standard frozen grocery store cake for the kids first birthday! Talk about killing ya! Even ordered the baby's smash cake from there. Sd she didnt think I could make one big enough. Total cop out. And you carry around those hurt feelings when invited to this function to which you are expected to eat frozen cake and smile while your God child eats cardboard cake. icon_cry.gif

Sionann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sionann Posted 1 Jul 2007 , 10:47am
post #11 of 11

Whether it's admiration or for attention ....I could see how that would be annoying. Maybe she's just not creative and copying you is her only way of being so. I think it's great that you are doing something to help yourself...I think the self-confidence issue is an issue for alot of us women.
Just be happy with yourself and make the best cakes you can make...eventually people will see what's going on.

blueeyedmomma said:
Who needs enemies when we have friends, there's just no time for both....lol. I have a few of these people myself. One has a hair fetish. I dont get brave much, but when I do and change the color or change the cut or style....guess who walks in Sunday morning with my haircut? I'm not kidding, just got my hair layered a few weeks ago, on a Wed. Came in to church on Sun. and there it was on someone else's head. So on Mon. I got brave and had it all wacked off, shortest it's ever been. Even highlighted it. Come the following Sunday....my shadow came in. I only have so much hair, makes me wanna invest in wigs.

blueeyedmomma maybe you should have "Don't copy me!" shaved into the
sides of your head...lol.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%