Putting Large Cake Layers Together

Decorating By Flur Updated 12 Aug 2006 , 5:33pm by cakes47

Flur Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Flur Posted 12 Aug 2006 , 4:11pm
post #1 of 7

Can anyone tell me the best way to put large cake layers together? I'm new to making large or layered cakes, and last week I made a double layer 11x15 sheet cake. When I tried to put the top layer on, I used my hands and the entire cake broke into about five pieces!!!! I had to make a new cake and my husband and I finally got the top layer on the bottom one by putting the top layer on a cookie sheet and kind of flipping it onto the bottom. We had to push the top layer to get it straigt. I know there has to be an easier way to do this! Also, I need a way to do this solo! Any help is greatly appreciated.

6 replies
BJsGRL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BJsGRL Posted 12 Aug 2006 , 4:19pm
post #2 of 7

I will use one of those flexible plastic cutting mats under the cake, then set that on a spare cake board. The cake board provides stability and the plastic mat helps it slide off. Just line up the edge of the top cake with the bottom cake, and slide it on.

Lambshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lambshack Posted 12 Aug 2006 , 4:35pm
post #3 of 7

You should also maybe try the cake extender recipe (its in the recipe section). It helps to make the cakes a little sturdier, as well as adding a couple of extra cups of batter. When the cake is not as delicate, its much easier to handle and you may not have the breakage issues. Hands will work on smaller cakes (no larger than an outstretched palm), but the bigger sizes and sheet cakes need a cake board or something similar. I like to use an old, lightweight wooden cutting board for my sheet cakes. It works great - follow what BJsGRL posted.
Good luck!

steplite Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
steplite Posted 12 Aug 2006 , 4:47pm
post #4 of 7

I use a flat cookie sheet to move large layers.

thems_my_kids Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thems_my_kids Posted 12 Aug 2006 , 4:48pm
post #5 of 7

I usually put the top layer back in the pan after it's cooled and flip it on top of the bottom layer.

The thing I'm wodering about is torting a large cake like that. How would you get the top off after to torte it to add filling and get the top back on? Slide a mat or something inbetween?

candyladyhelen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
candyladyhelen Posted 12 Aug 2006 , 5:24pm
post #6 of 7

I do two things. One, I freeze the top layer. Then when the filling is on the bottom layer, I then place the frozen one on top. I wait til it's defrosted. (not long) then proceed. Or I slide a flat cookie sheet under the top layer & place it on top.

cakes47 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakes47 Posted 12 Aug 2006 , 5:33pm
post #7 of 7

When I torte the layers, I separate them with a cookie sheet, add the filling, then slide the top half or third of the layer back on top then continue.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%