Poor Man's Airbrush???

Decorating By Starkie Updated 29 Jul 2008 , 7:14pm by TamNan

Starkie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Starkie Posted 24 Jun 2007 , 11:37am
post #1 of 14

I simply can't afford and airbrush right now. I am getting by nicely, however, with using a can of airbrush propellant with my airbrush colors, but this is only for treating large areas with color.

I have heard that you can get a fishtank pump instead, and that gives you the same PSI of an airbrush compressor ~ is that right? If so, anyone try it? I have seen several different sizes of tank pumps that I wasn't sure which one to try. Anyone have any thoughts or ideas on this?

13 replies
chocolateandpeanutbutter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chocolateandpeanutbutter Posted 24 Jun 2007 , 3:56pm
post #2 of 14

I'm afraid I don't know the answer to this, but I would be interested in hearing about this too!

Rosie_from_MD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosie_from_MD Posted 24 Jun 2007 , 6:44pm
post #3 of 14

I don't know, but I would love to find out also!

CherryBomb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CherryBomb Posted 24 Jun 2007 , 6:58pm
post #4 of 14

I've thought about converting a nebulizer for this purpose since I have two just laying around. I'll put up a post and let you know how it goes.

peeps311 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peeps311 Posted 24 Jun 2007 , 7:17pm
post #5 of 14

I have heard that there is a compressed air can that you can purchase at Home Depot that has a jar attachment (for your color) that works great as an airbrush alternative. I have not tried it, but am intrigued to see if it really works....

Starkie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Starkie Posted 24 Jun 2007 , 8:12pm
post #6 of 14

Okay, I bought the fish tank air compressor (for up to a 30 gallon tank) and it simply did not have enough air pressure to even dry my nails! So, I went to Michael's and bought a Badger Basic Spray Gun Set for $24.99. It contained a gun, jar, line, and propel regulator that screws to the top of a can of compressed air. Worked GREAT in my trials on paper, and hopefully it will work just as well on cakes! The propel regulator regulated the PSI of the spray, so I won't worry about blowing my icing off my cake. I didn't play with it too much, but I will this week and give you an update!

2txmedics Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2txmedics Posted 27 Jul 2008 , 7:42pm
post #7 of 14

OMG, I just got my airbrush kit for my belated bday...in the mail from aribrush city...also....havent had time to use it...but me, BEING A MEDIC...and seeing u all are talking nebs...hmmmm, has me wondering now....I just spent 145.00 total for airbrush compressor, pen that comes with it, and the other GD 100 that is recommended for working.
wow....

MORSELSBYMARK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MORSELSBYMARK Posted 27 Jul 2008 , 8:03pm
post #8 of 14

I got my airbrush pen last yr as a bday gift and attached it to the compressor that i use for my nail gun, etc. This year, my wife got me the testor's air compressor (which comes with it's own gun too) off of ebay. Brand new shipping incl, it came to 60 dollars - way less expensive than buying the kopykake or other specialty compressor. It works great!

farmom3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
farmom3 Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 1:59am
post #9 of 14

Thank you Starkie for sharing this, please give me an update for your new airbrush, I want to buy that too .and what color you use for that ???can I use the wilton gel color and mix it with vodca ????
please tell me more

TamNan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TamNan Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 4:11am
post #10 of 14

check out my latest post. We have been discussing using a nebulizer. found air brush at Hobbly Lobby for really cheap. this may be what you and poss everyone else will be using soon.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 5:31pm
post #11 of 14

Wilton gel colors may clog your gun. Use only airbrush colors.

Jasmine33 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jasmine33 Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 8:59am
post #12 of 14

Any updates? My dh got the idea to do the fish pump thing as well and it didn't work lol

BakingJeannie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingJeannie Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 12:53pm
post #13 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starkie

Okay, I bought the fish tank air compressor (for up to a 30 gallon tank) and it simply did not have enough air pressure to even dry my nails! So, I went to Michael's and bought a Badger Basic Spray Gun Set for $24.99. It contained a gun, jar, line, and propel regulator that screws to the top of a can of compressed air. Worked GREAT in my trials on paper, and hopefully it will work just as well on cakes! The propel regulator regulated the PSI of the spray, so I won't worry about blowing my icing off my cake. I didn't play with it too much, but I will this week and give you an update!

Starkie,
Be careful using the can of compressed air on the cake because it has chemicals in it. I got one from Michaels too (with a 50% coupon), and it work beautifully on a large cake I was doing. Later called Badger to find out more about tips and air, that was when they told me it can't be used on a cake because of the chemicals (this was last Friday). I was like.... icon_redface.gif I maybe making people sick!! Thank God it was one cake and no one became ill (over a month now). So I just use the Badger kit for my dummy cakes. I should have used the 50% coupon on buying the compressor! icon_mad.gif

One of my local cake shop told me that they use a craft pump ($15) which is similar to a balloon or bike tire pump. I tried it, but it was too much upper arm movement for me. That is in my "File 13" box of "stuff".

The long and short of all this is, a good airbrush set, especially if you do a lot of fondant cakes, is good to have.

Cheers!

TamNan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TamNan Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 7:14pm
post #14 of 14

I just tested my poor man's yesterday. I have a nebulizer and bought a $25 dollar airbrush kit at hobby lobby (on sale 30% off paid $16) and just using the tubing from the nebulizer. It works like a charm, perfect amount of air. Will be using it on Friday to color a grooms cake for Saturday. If you can find a nebulizer you are set, and you won't have to spend a lot on commerical brand of airbrush. good luck!!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%