Swiss Meringue Buttercream W/ Cream Cheese...help!

Baking By meriscakes Updated 26 Jun 2007 , 4:19pm by meriscakes

meriscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
meriscakes Posted 24 Jun 2007 , 4:17am
post #1 of 4

Hi everyone,

This weekend I made a two tiered carrot cake for a friend's wedding. I had trouble from beginning to end with the frosting. I first made a frosting with icing sugar and it was terrible! Too runny. I realize now that I should have just added more sugar but at the time I was frustrated and threw it out (what a waste!).

So I decided to go back to my old standard Swiss meringue buttercream which I adore. It's so velvety and rich. I started adding cream cheese to it when it was cooled (I use the Confetti Cakes version) and it ended up becoming a sloppy mess. It was like the cream cheese just didn't get incorporated fully. I cooled it right down so that it was solid and it still didn't come together when I rebeat it. icon_mad.gif So, I added icing sugar and it came together enough but was still extremely soft.

I have two questions: 1) has anyone out there done a cream cheese rendition of SMBC and what is your advice? and 2) does anyone have a good cream cheese frosting recipe that's spreadable but not too soft?

I thank everyone out there.

PS The bride loved the look of the cake, thank goodness! It was awful to smooth out because it was warming up so quickly. She said it was more than she expected! Can't wait to see how it tasted.

3 replies
JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 24 Jun 2007 , 4:20am
post #2 of 4

Welcome to cake central. I haven't seen a SMBC with cream cheese.

there is a very good cream cheese icing in the recipes section. It is called the crusting cream cheese icing-I think.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 26 Jun 2007 , 9:30am
post #3 of 4

Here's a SMBC that uses cream cheese. icon_smile.gif

Not Your Momma's Cream Cheese Frosting:
(Using SMBC, from Sarah Phillips of baking911.com.)

http://tinyurl.com/35rxrk

HTH

meriscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
meriscakes Posted 26 Jun 2007 , 4:19pm
post #4 of 4

Thanks so much for your replies! I will have to try both. It's all about research, right? icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%