How Much Batter In The Checkerboard Cake Pan Set?

Decorating By acgref Updated 11 Aug 2006 , 9:52pm by Cake4ever

acgref Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
acgref Posted 11 Aug 2006 , 5:17pm
post #1 of 9

I'm planning on making a checkerboard cake and I have the Wilton Checkerboard Cake Pan Set which is three 9 x 1 1/2 round pans. I'm using two Betty Crocker Cake Mixes and I was just wondering how far do I fill the pans? The drawing on the back of the box shows batter all the way to the top, but am I really supposed to fill it that far?

8 replies
JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 11 Aug 2006 , 5:44pm
post #2 of 9

I have made this a couple of times. Like other batters, you should fill the pans about 2/3 full. I found it easier to use a big piping bag to fill the rings.

Get both batters ready and prepare the pans. You can only fill one pan at a time, then you have to wash the ring for the next pan-a minor pain.

It did help to have an extra set of hands to hold it still.

You will have extra batter, so make some cupcakes.

bonniebakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bonniebakes Posted 11 Aug 2006 , 5:44pm
post #3 of 9

I'm not positive, but I would guess it is just like a normal cake - about 2/3 of the way up the sides....

mcalhoun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcalhoun Posted 11 Aug 2006 , 5:50pm
post #4 of 9

I have also made the cake a couple of times and filled my pan 2/3 full. I just wanted to pipe in and give JoAnn a kudos for the idea of using a piping bag to fill the slots!

Melissa

Moviechick00 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Moviechick00 Posted 11 Aug 2006 , 5:52pm
post #5 of 9

I have made this cake several time. I usually just fill it 2/3 of the way. Normal cake batter is usally to runny so I add a pouch of pudding. This makes it thicker and will not run together. Plus it adds a wonderful flavor. MC

talking2jen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
talking2jen Posted 11 Aug 2006 , 5:54pm
post #6 of 9

Hi, I just purchased the Wilton Checkerboard Cake Pan Set last weekend and used it. It's 3 pans...fill each 2/3 of the way full (just like a normal cake pan). The cake turns out great! thumbs_up.gif

Tiffysma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tiffysma Posted 11 Aug 2006 , 5:58pm
post #7 of 9

when I use my checkerboard pan, I make cupcakes out of the extra batter, kind of "swirling" the 2 batters together, which comes out very nice. I think I get about 12 out of it. I love using the checkerboard pans. I haven't in a while - thanks for the reminder. It's about time to get them out again!

awolf24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awolf24 Posted 11 Aug 2006 , 6:02pm
post #8 of 9

I have the checkerboard pan from Pampered Chef and the directions say to add an extra 1/2 c of flour to the batter to make it thicker - plus I like Moviechick00's suggesion to add pudding mix.

Love the idea of using pastry bags to fill. Never thought of that simple solution. Part of why I don't use this pan was because of the mess of filling.

Cake4ever Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake4ever Posted 11 Aug 2006 , 9:52pm
post #9 of 9

Awesome tips! I only used my Pampered Chef checkerboard pan only one time because the cake came out so dense and gross. I think I will definitely try using the pudding instead of the flour and give it another try.

Thanks!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%