Bulging Icing On A Stacked Cake

Decorating By rena Updated 17 Jun 2005 , 9:53am by rena

rena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rena Posted 12 Jun 2005 , 12:31am
post #1 of 10

Today is the first time I have tried to make a stacked cake. It looked allright after I had finished it, but when I came inside after mowing the yard I noticed that the icing was bulging on one side and the cake had actually cracked underneath. Is bulging icing caused from too much Icing hanging on the side? Could someone help me with this? I have so many questions being new to the cake decorating art, but I don't have anyone to ask advice from.
Thanks Rena

9 replies
marknrox Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marknrox Posted 12 Jun 2005 , 12:37am
post #2 of 10

It could be that you filling was too thick. A thin layer is much better.

rena Posted 12 Jun 2005 , 1:12am
post #3 of 10

How thick should filling be on stacked cake? 1/4, 1/2 inch thick?
Rena

Jackie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jackie Posted 12 Jun 2005 , 1:40am
post #4 of 10

here is an article on solutions for cakes bulging:

http://cakecentral.com/article5-Solution-For-Cake-Bulging-Between-Layers.html

Hopefully that will help icon_smile.gif

Mable_21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mable_21 Posted 12 Jun 2005 , 1:41am
post #5 of 10

Which cake cracked? If it was the bottom one maybe the top was too heavy and you should have used supporters (dowels and a seperator). If your house was really warm it might have caused the frosting to move around too.
Just a thought..

m0use Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
m0use Posted 12 Jun 2005 , 4:18pm
post #6 of 10

Also if you had filling in your cake, and your icing dam was not thick and stiff enough (and I mean stiff) that will cause your cake to bulge.

rena Posted 16 Jun 2005 , 12:05am
post #7 of 10

I didn't know about making the icing really stiff between layers. Thanks for that tip!

peacockplace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peacockplace Posted 16 Jun 2005 , 2:06am
post #8 of 10

I didn't know that before either! It has really helped stop the buldge since then. Some other tips... let is sit a little while to settel, do a crumb coat, don't overfill!

SquirrellyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SquirrellyCakes Posted 17 Jun 2005 , 3:07am
post #9 of 10

Well I agree, always a stiff buttercream dam and for stacked cakes always use a good stable filling, not one that is really runny or will re-absorb back into the cake and go sparingly on the filling.
However the cracked cake is probably a question of the cake not being dense enough for a stacked application, should have little to do with the filling issue. Did you dowel the cakes really well and also board each tier well?
Hugs Squirrelly Cakes

rena Posted 17 Jun 2005 , 9:53am
post #10 of 10

The cake that cracked was the 6 inch top cake. I put dowels in the 10 inch cake underneath(6 of them). I thought that would be enough. It was my first try at stacking a cake. I put a cardboard round underneath the top cake and had double boards underneath the bottom cake. The 10 inch cake did well, no bulge and no cracks. The filling was a different batch of icing though.
Rena

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%