Not Exactly A Cake Question But...

Decorating By alliebear Updated 22 Jun 2007 , 11:21pm by Franluvsfrosting

alliebear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alliebear Posted 22 Jun 2007 , 10:54pm
post #1 of 6

i am planning on making Jam this weekend... first time... i would like to know whether i can make a jam but omit the sugar... i want to make strawberry peach but am worried peaches and the strawberries plus sugar with will overly sweet and syrup... any suggestions or comments that would help!

5 replies
pmw109 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pmw109 Posted 22 Jun 2007 , 11:04pm
post #2 of 6

Sorry I haven't made jam yet but I'm curious about this also.

weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 22 Jun 2007 , 11:09pm
post #3 of 6

I made a low sugar recipe of strawberry jam. You use like half the amount of sugar required. I believe in the pectin they have a recipe for a low sugar version. I couldnt find it in my Ball recipe book but I know I made it. You can also try googling it and get a recipe because I know their out there. Most of them require Equal or some other sugar subsitute.

IHATEFONDANT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IHATEFONDANT Posted 22 Jun 2007 , 11:14pm
post #4 of 6

You cannot adjust the sugar if you want your recipe to gel correctly.

If you read the instructions in the SureGel or Certo packets they will tell you to make sure you add all the sugar required.

There should be lower sugar recipes on the net. They might even make a SureGel that uses recipes with lower sugar.

alliebear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alliebear Posted 22 Jun 2007 , 11:19pm
post #5 of 6

i figured that if i didn't add sugar it wouldn't preserve properly either but thought maybe there was some alternative... my bakery sells a sugar free jam thats made with fruit juice concentrate instead... i think maybe for me making jam for the first time i should stick to something classic... strawberry or rasberry... then play around with other stuff,,, thanks for your advice

Franluvsfrosting Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Franluvsfrosting Posted 22 Jun 2007 , 11:21pm
post #6 of 6

I've made no added sugar jam using the Ball Sugar Free Pectin and it worked fine. It uses a lot more fruit than the usual recipes and you can use a naturally sweet juice (like apple) to take some of the bite out of it if you're using a tart fruit (replaces some of the water). I didn't use any artificial sweeteners in mine and it tasted good. With any canning be sure you use the best quality produce for the best results. Old, tired fruit will not taste as good as peak quality fruit will. If you can find the pectin it will have directions in it. HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%