Petit Fours Melting!

Decorating By Eren Updated 10 Aug 2006 , 3:23pm by Eren

Eren Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Eren Posted 10 Aug 2006 , 1:39pm
post #1 of 4

Well, I was so excited to try to make petit fours for the first time, and I am sooo disappointed. I knew it would be messy, and it was, but I finally got them covered with the quick pour recipe from Wilton. Then I put them in my covered carrier and into the fridge (I always keep my cakes in the container while in the fridge).
Well this morning I took them out to take them to the day care and they werent out for 5 minutes when the glaze started melting and going down the sides of the cakes! Im afraid by the time they eat them they will be in a puddle (how embarrassing)! I left them at the school, I hope they like them.

What happened? Am I supposed to leave them out overnight to dry??? Are they supposed to not be refrigerated??

3 replies
Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 10 Aug 2006 , 3:14pm
post #2 of 4

I do not refrigerate the ones I make. I would imagine the condensation was too much for them. (since they are so small anyways) I don't make them very often (thank goodness!) Maybe someone who makes them frequently will chime in here. I am sure they still tasted wonderful.

candygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
candygirl Posted 10 Aug 2006 , 3:19pm
post #3 of 4

I use the wilton ganach recipe to cover mine and ALWAYS refrigerate mine and they are fine. I have never had any success with the quick pour reciipe.

Maybe if you frosted them with a thin coat of buttercream first?

Eren Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Eren Posted 10 Aug 2006 , 3:23pm
post #4 of 4

I frosted them with buttercream before I poured the coating (which tasted really good by the way). Well, I guess next time I will leave them out so they dry and then refrigerate them.

I'm guessing by the time the teachers eat them they will be "sticky buns". I didn't tell them they were fancy "petit fours", so no expectations!

I'm going to have to try again.... Does anyone know of a good class or book with instructions? I learned a lot from CC but it's all piece-meal...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%