For My Wife - Looking For Respected Decorating Books, Dvd's

Decorating By lunacy43 Updated 11 Aug 2006 , 5:25am by brightbrats

lunacy43 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lunacy43 Posted 10 Aug 2006 , 7:00am
post #1 of 14

Wow, I'm still overwhelmed at how active this community is. I have browsed the forums for about an hour now and I'll definitely be directing her to this community.

About a week ago my wife made a cake for her neice's birthday. It was a CareBear cake from a mold. She isn't a baker, or cake decorator, and that was her first experience doing anything in terms of hand decorating. She has a skilled hand in art, though, so she bought a small set of cake decorating supplies from Wal-mart, and wow, she made a fabulous, hand decorated cake that dazzled everyone. She even got requests to make cakes from other people at the party. I myself was very impressed and love her enthusiasm about this. She enjoyed the work and the praise, and I want to encourage her new obsession. She works very hard at a nursing home and with our young son, so to have something she can escape into and enjoy is something I want to help her with.

I have already bought her a few things to help her get started. I bought a set of 20 tips, a turntable, and a few pans. She's also bought various utensils, so she's got a good arsenal to start. What I'd like to get her is a respected book or DVD about cake decorating techniques. I've looked at a few sites and see a lot of the same videos and books, but I haven't found any reviews. I figure this would be the place to get a clue : )

Thanks in advance for any advice.

13 replies
cupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcake Posted 10 Aug 2006 , 7:18am
post #2 of 14

What a great guy you are to do this. Probably one of the best teaching aids that is very accessable is Wilton. They have a yearbook every year and have a wealth of information in them.Walmart, Hobby Lobby and Micheals are your primary sources. If you do not have the later two places any craft store will have them. Hobby Lobby and Michaels also offer classes which is a good way to start and share ideas. Wilton has been in business for years, they also have a web site that has a forum also. I would say start there first. This is such a wide field and there are many techniques and reputable artists that have intermediate and advanced books. As with any hobby it can get expensive. This forum also has tutorials that she can use to help her along. If she has a talent it will not take her long to learn, it just takes alot of practice.You may also have some specialty bakeries in the area that might teach specific techniques.Some of the colleges also offer classes. I hope this helps and please you'll keep in touch. Welcome to CC.

atkin600 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
atkin600 Posted 10 Aug 2006 , 7:20am
post #3 of 14

You sound like a pretty awesome husband! I haven't watched any cake decorating dvd's, and the only book that I have bought is the Wilton yearbook. You can find them at any Wal-mart in the craft section or Hobby Lobby, etc. It gives instructions on how to pipe in different ways, how to stack cakes. I took a beginner course at my local community college. I think that it cost $50 and was 4 nights. It really helped to get me started, and then the rest I just learned from practicing and looking on the internet, mainly this site! Good luck!

lunacy43 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lunacy43 Posted 10 Aug 2006 , 7:48am
post #4 of 14

Wow, it's almost 4am and you guys are already giving feedback!! I've been unable to stop browsing the forums!! As motivation, I found the "Post your worst cake" thread to show her when she feels unhappy(even though some of those aren't half bad). : )

I found Wilton's, but wasn't sure if the Yearly book was way too advanced for now or not. I've been to a Michael's, but we're about 2 hours away from the nearest. I've never even heard of a Hobby Lobby, catchy name though! Welcome to Smalltown, KY.

She's already mentioned looking around for classes or another established decorater that she might be able to spend some time with. Overall, I think her best resource by far is this forum. Granted, there are as many acronyms for cake decorating as there are for computers(mmf, ccc, etc.. ), lol.

Cake4ever Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake4ever Posted 10 Aug 2006 , 8:59am
post #5 of 14

What a guy! thumbs_up.gif

I think the Wilton yearbook is the best first step. It is also a guide to all the different tips, basic recipes and different ideas all in one. It's how I taught myself to decorate!

I'd look into maybe getting her into some classes. I know it may be difficult since you're so far away from a source, but check into it anyway. If not, Wilton sells videos etc., so she can learn and watch at home.

Good luck!

gilson6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gilson6 Posted 10 Aug 2006 , 11:04am
post #6 of 14

Welcome to our addiction! You are such a wonderful man to be thinking of your wife like this!

My recommendation is to look around your local library. They have videos and books. That way your not putting a lot of money out and can see what is most helpful for her. If she finds a video or book that she likes, you can then purchase it for her.

cindww Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cindww Posted 10 Aug 2006 , 11:11am
post #7 of 14

Welcome to our site! Your wife is very lucky to have such a supportive husband.
I would recommend she spend as much time as she can here on this site because she'll learn so much here. Since I started coming here, I feel like my skills have grown so much. I've been doing this for maybe 5 or 6 months..I did take the Wilton courses 1 and 2, but then didn't touch a cake for a few months until I found this site.
Good luck to your wife..she's going to become addicted!! Just click on the link in the upper left hand corner ..the warning link..and you'll see what I'm talking about..icon_smile.gif

Cindy

MicheleF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MicheleF Posted 10 Aug 2006 , 11:23am
post #8 of 14

If you are like my husband, you have an motive behind supporting your wife. You get to eat all her practice cakes and mistakes!!!! I have to constantly force my hubby out of the kitchen when I'm making cakes. (Especially chocolate ones!) He is always eating my icing or begging to shave off some cake for him.

I was orginally self taught on cake decorating by buying a lot of books and looking at other peoples cakes. However, when I got more into it, I took a class which helped me a little.

It's a great creative outlet! Hats off to you for supporting her!

Michele

flameon58 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flameon58 Posted 10 Aug 2006 , 12:22pm
post #9 of 14

What a lucky woman! You have to have a cake to decorate. My suggestion would be to also get a book on cake baking also. I like the Cake Bible. I do most of my baking from scratch. A lot of people on this site like the Cake Mix Doctor (I think that is the right name). You may want to try Amazon or Barnes and Noble and see what they have in terms of decorating. I bought a couple of books at Amazon last month and got free shipping. Ateco has a very basic book on their decorating tips.

My other suggestion: You may want to buy a treadmill while your at it !!!

emilykakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emilykakes Posted 10 Aug 2006 , 12:28pm
post #10 of 14

Two of my favorite books right now are The Essential Guide To Cake Decorating (this one is great for someone just starting out) and The Well-Decorated Cake by Toba Garrett (This one is more advanced). The yearbooks are a good place to start as well...the cakes range from beginner to advanced...it's a good source that will grow with your wife's abilities. thumbs_up.gif

fronklowes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fronklowes Posted 11 Aug 2006 , 3:38am
post #11 of 14

First, let me say you are a great husband to be supporting your wife in her outlet. I'm a mommy of 19 month old twins and I use this as a much needed outlet, too.

That being said, there is a wealth of knowledge to be learned just on this website in the tutorials and the posts. Additionally, I would pick up a Wilton yearbook or their reference manual (at Michael's--don't forget your coupon from the newspaper). Past that, if your Michael's offers classes, I would "gift" her with courses 1, 2, and 3. I also agree with whoever mentioned the local library. A lot of the decorating books are really expensive or hard to find, so I check them out at the library (or have them sent in through the inter-library loan system) and scan the pages I need. This is how I would start her out.

Also, have her take a look at this link. There is a tutorial on how to smooth fondant and pictures of what many of the tips do.

http://www.atecousa.net/learn/cake-decorating.shtml

Samsgranny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Samsgranny Posted 11 Aug 2006 , 5:12am
post #12 of 14

What a great DH to support his wife's future addiction thumbs_up.gif

llee815 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
llee815 Posted 11 Aug 2006 , 5:24am
post #13 of 14

How very sweet of you!

brightbrats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brightbrats Posted 11 Aug 2006 , 5:25am
post #14 of 14

What a man!!!!!!!!

Hey there, just wanted to say that I am from the KY too.

Exactly where are you from? I am from Marion Co.

I also saw on ebay where you can but the beginner course books. It say's they are like the ones that you get when you take a Wilton cake decorating course.

I am teaching myself and learning as I go, and this web site is awesome, she can learn so many things here, and people are willing to explain it all to you.

Again, I think it is great too, that you sre showing interest into her hobby, or maybe future carear.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%