?? For Those Who Have Taken Wilton Classes . . .

Decorating By abslu Updated 25 Jun 2007 , 4:07pm by sugarbakerqueen

abslu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
abslu Posted 22 Jun 2007 , 3:50pm
post #1 of 31

I have had previous experience in cake decorating. I took a semester long class in high school. It's been 7 years since I've had any training, but I have been doing cakes recently, and I'm amazed at what I remember! Anyway, I want to take some Wilton classes at my local Michaels, and my question is can I skip Wilton Cake Decorating 1 and go straight to the 2nd class? I just want to increase my learning past the basics. I know borders, roses (I'm still not very good at those) writing and such, but I want to learn to use fondant, and also learn new flowers. . . .
So to those who have been to the classes . . . please give me some input! Thanks in advance!

30 replies
MissRobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissRobin Posted 22 Jun 2007 , 4:14pm
post #2 of 31

I took all 4 classes last fall that were offered in my community, I had been cake decorating for several years off and on and I found even course one to be informative, I learned lots of tips and tricks from basic icing the cake to icing consistency.

Juds2323 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Juds2323 Posted 22 Jun 2007 , 4:17pm
post #3 of 31

I've taken course 1 & 2 and am currently taking course 3 and Fondant & Gumpaste courses. course 1 might be a nice review as long as you look at it as such. Covered are roses, drop flowers, figure piping, shells, icing, leveling and filling and icing a cake. Course 2 is all about royal icing flowers, some buttercream stuff and the basket weave.
I've been really lucky and have had a great teacher as my WMI.

HTH

Judi

christycecile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
christycecile Posted 22 Jun 2007 , 4:18pm
post #4 of 31

I would start with class two. The teacher will go over the basics from course 1 in the first lesson. Course two will teach you a lot of new flowers and then in course three you get to work with fondant.

Tomoore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tomoore Posted 22 Jun 2007 , 4:20pm
post #5 of 31

You can skip the 1st one...I did. However, I would pick up a course one book to ensure that you feel comfortable with everything covered.

zoboo2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zoboo2 Posted 22 Jun 2007 , 4:20pm
post #6 of 31

I am a brand new Wilton instructor and I just took all four courses at the beginning of this year. I had done some cake decorating in the past but I would definately just go ahead a take the first class. Our instructor refered back to it many many times in the other 3 courses. Each class builds on the next so if you miss course one you may miss out. Just a suggestion! thumbs_up.gif

SugarBakerz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarBakerz Posted 22 Jun 2007 , 4:23pm
post #7 of 31

if you can take them all, take them, just my opinion... hope that helps... you can always learn some little new technique you might not have known before!

ntertayneme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ntertayneme Posted 22 Jun 2007 , 4:25pm
post #8 of 31

You'd be surprised at how many tips and things you could learn in Course 1. I'd recommend you take it. Even though it may repeat things you already know, it's always good to refresh yourself and learn the techniques again. I also give tons of handouts in my Course 1 which many of my students appreciate. Good luck!

ranbel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ranbel Posted 22 Jun 2007 , 4:25pm
post #9 of 31

I myself started with course 2, since I knew the basics of borders, smoothing and the rose...Like you, I learned the basics from my cousin whom had taken the courses already..even the instructor at Michaels said to skip course 1 and begin with 2...

I really did enjoy course 2 & 3, now I have to complete the fondant & gumpaste, when I can fit it in my schedule... icon_smile.gif

misscoffey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
misscoffey Posted 22 Jun 2007 , 4:26pm
post #10 of 31

i would take the first class anyway, just as a review of what you might already know, but also to help you practice a little more with those roses!! It was a few years between when I took course I and the other courses and it is amazing what you forget!

JoMarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoMarie Posted 22 Jun 2007 , 4:33pm
post #11 of 31

My humble opinion is to take Course I first. When I took classes we have a few people skip Course I and go straight to Course II - they ended up holding the class up the first 2 sessions asking questions that were covered in Course I. So we ended up having to rush through many things. Again just my opinion. No matter what you decide you will LOVE the classes!!

prettysweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prettysweet Posted 22 Jun 2007 , 4:36pm
post #12 of 31

I was in the same position and spoke with the instructor prior to the class. She recommended starting with course 2 but reviewing book 1 first. When I was taking it, course 2 was on Wed night and course 1 on Thurs. She recommended going to course 2 but if I felt unsure after that first class I could then just switch to course 1. I had no problem with 2 so I continued there (I used the course 1 book to refresh any techniques) and continued with 3 after. I enjoyed all the classes. Have fun!!!

tyty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tyty Posted 22 Jun 2007 , 4:40pm
post #13 of 31

I took all four Wilton courses, I would say start at 1 if it's been a while since you have taken courses. There will be lots of tips and tricks you could learn. If you get a good instructor you will learn so much.

doescakestoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doescakestoo Posted 22 Jun 2007 , 4:51pm
post #14 of 31

I am a past Wilton instructor. I have had people ask the same question. I always tell them even if they have had classes in the past there is new and more information given out in C 1 and that it is like any building. You start at the ground and work up. You will learn faster than those that have never decorated before and you will have more questions that will help the newer students. And if you are having a few problems in basic skills then the instructor will be able to help you there. The rose is one of the most problems that decorators seem to have. And you will be able to get more help in C1 than in C2 and no help in C3 or F&G classes.

tiptop57 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiptop57 Posted 22 Jun 2007 , 4:54pm
post #15 of 31

abslu:

What do you intend to learn? How good were you in the past? Isn't it like a bicycle?

IMHO it was a waste of my time, because first I didn't care for the instructor, second I didn't care if I ever learned a buttercream rose. Course II same boring instructor and a waste my time because I didn't care if I ever learned buttercream basket weave. Course III was worst and I only went to a couple of sessions - same instructor and I was already doing fondant, so I just dropped it.

But then.......I hate working in buttercream and love, love fondant....

Personally I learned more just by ready old threads, gleaning gallery pictures with instructions in the comments section and by good instructional books then I did from any ole' Wilton course. If you don't have that kind of time for search and learn, then go with Wilton.

Unfortunately, I have always marched to the beat of a different drummer. If you have doubts you might be resentful like I was.....icon_wink.gif

tyty - Oh my there is a Course IV - what in heaven's name do they teach you?

8Tracie8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
8Tracie8 Posted 22 Jun 2007 , 4:56pm
post #16 of 31

I would personally start with Course 1. I have been decorating cakes for awhile and taught myself how to do a lot of things...... after taking Course 1, I learned all the things that I was doing wrong. And the rose is a lot easier after you have someone there showing you how to do it correctly. By Course 2, you'll be a pro at them!! thumbs_up.gif

jnestor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jnestor Posted 22 Jun 2007 , 5:06pm
post #17 of 31

I would go onto Course 2. I took Course 1, and it was very basic, but it was helpful. If you have a good base in cake decorating I would go onto Course 2.

tyty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tyty Posted 22 Jun 2007 , 5:16pm
post #18 of 31

Course IV is fondant and gumpaste.

tiptop57 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiptop57 Posted 22 Jun 2007 , 5:25pm
post #19 of 31

tyty - Ohhhh thank you for letting me know what Course IV was about. " I was clueless.icon_wink.gif

awolf24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awolf24 Posted 22 Jun 2007 , 5:33pm
post #20 of 31

When I went to sign up, I was told I had to take them in order, beginning with Course I. Not sure if that was a store policy or a Wilton policy but to sign up for Course 2, I had to show my certificate of completion from Course 1 and so on.

I've learned more on CC than I did in Wilton but it was still worthwhile to get the basics down.

diamondjacks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diamondjacks Posted 22 Jun 2007 , 5:38pm
post #21 of 31

thumbs_up.gif I would suggest continuing the courses if nothing else they may show you something you wouldn't have thought of... I think wilton is offering half off through the rest of the year icon_smile.gif

srod911 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
srod911 Posted 22 Jun 2007 , 5:40pm
post #22 of 31

I've taken all the Wilton courses and have gotten something from every one of them. If nothing else it will help you brush up on the skills that you might have forgotten and it's a great 2 hours a week with other cake minded individuals icon_lol.gif

abslu Posted 22 Jun 2007 , 6:41pm
post #23 of 31

WOW icon_eek.gif So many replies! Thanks SO much guys! I have been learning SO much on this website and I really enjoy it! It truly IS addicting! I'm hopefully going to post some of my pics soon! I have to double check the class schedule, but I think I might go with the class 1 just as a refresher!
Thanks for all the help!!! thumbs_up.gif

mekaclayton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mekaclayton Posted 22 Jun 2007 , 6:57pm
post #24 of 31

I took Wilton courses about 3 years ago. They didn't offer a fondant & gumpaste but fondant and tiered cakes and only 3 courses here.I wish they had offered others...but the very first class is just as informative as the others plus your teacher could offer unique tips that you might otherwise miss out on by skipping the 1st class. I always think that the more you know, the more you grow...couldn't hurt as a refresher. I'm thinking of taking some more local classes before hitting the big league...the Wilton School. icon_lol.gif

Clypzilla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Clypzilla Posted 22 Jun 2007 , 7:02pm
post #25 of 31

Must agree with the majority on starting with course one. From what I've read of other people's comments and even what I've heard from other wilton students, so much depends on the quality of your instructor. I've even considered taking the courses again, just for continued practice.

cakebaker1957 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaker1957 Posted 22 Jun 2007 , 7:09pm
post #26 of 31

where i took my course's at they wouldnt let you jump courses you had to take them in order , Boring, but i go back to my course 1 book to make sure im doing things right, Then when you take all the courses i got a certificate in each course,

funcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
funcakes Posted 23 Jun 2007 , 6:34pm
post #27 of 31

When I was at the Michael's store, I considered taking class 3. I have decorated for a long time, but am self taught. I learned to make roses as a kid when my mom sent my sister and me to ceramic classes-so no problem there. I just want some help with covering a cake with fondant.

The store manager was totally rude when I asked about signing up. She didn't have any printout as to what would be taught. Couldn't tell me what I needed to bring to class-just told me "we sell the kit for class 3, go read the info on the box!" Is this a sign that I should steer clear of this place or do you think the course might be okay? I am going back and asking again. I hope to get the teacher's phone# so I have a better idea before I join up. What do you think?

As far as skipping classes, I think one needs to be realistic about what they want from the class. I never took any of the classes yet, but I was an instructor for stencilling and painting classes and I teach 1st and 2nd grade. No two students ever came with the same experiences or talent. It is the teacher's responsibility to implement instruction in a way to help the weaker student while challenging the more experienced student. (or that's what they demand of me in public school, it's called differienciated instruction, and every lesson better be written to provide that-or else!) And some people think teaching is an easy 9-3 job-not you guys. Creative people never think that.

jnestor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jnestor Posted 23 Jun 2007 , 6:47pm
post #28 of 31

I've commented once, but I want to pitch in one more time. I did say that if you have a background to skip course one, which it seems depends on the store on if you can skip or not. Don't get me wrong though I did take course one, and its kind of neat to have all four of the wilton certificates, it kind of makes everything official. In response to class materials I have similiar problem the first time I took a class at a store. I went to another store, and was received better. As far as I know (and remember) you just bring your kit to the first class, and you receive a supply list then for the remainder of the course.

campinsp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
campinsp Posted 24 Jun 2007 , 2:48am
post #29 of 31

If you get the practice board and can do the items in course1 then go to #2. I did the fondant gum paste class firstand loved it. It has been a very long time since I took my first classes. I am now doing course 2 and have been practicng big time at home. Have fun!!!!!! icon_smile.gif

abslu Posted 25 Jun 2007 , 3:59pm
post #30 of 31

I went and signed up for the first course yesterday, and the lady I talked to was helpful! She said that the instructor didn't require the course one kit, but she would help us choose the stuff we need for the class. I already have some stuff, so hopefully I won't have to purchase too much. Has anyone had an instructor that didn't use the course kit?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%