Somebody Didn't Shut The #@*! Fridge Door!

Decorating By cabincake Updated 22 Jun 2007 , 4:30pm by JoAnnB

cabincake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cabincake Posted 22 Jun 2007 , 12:45pm
post #1 of 9

Ok I'm trying to calm down, I get up this morning getting ready to make the frosting and assemble a 6 tier cake for tomorrow. I have my cream cheese, butter, raspberry fillings, chocolate ganache ready to be whipped all in the fridge. Yes I had the fridge pretty full and I think when my Son when in there late after work last night he didn't push the door shut, a gallon of milk or something must have kept the door from naturally sealing shut. So the door was ajar ALL NIGHT LONG. That means even though it would have ran all night the interior light bulb was on. The bagels on the top shelf were actually hot! My milk is cool, but the cream cheese was in the shelf door and does not feel that cold, can I use it? How about the ganache, it is just cool? So p'od right now.

8 replies
KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 22 Jun 2007 , 3:27pm
post #2 of 9

maybe I'm nasty but when I make cheesecake I take my cream cheese out before I go to bed at night then in the morning it's nice and soft for making the cheesecake.......barefoot contessa said that's how she does it on the food network so that's how I've done it since then......I've never had it go bad or taste bad or make anyone sick! You would think if it was horribly wrong they would have editted that part on the show??

jilliankinsel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jilliankinsel Posted 22 Jun 2007 , 3:32pm
post #3 of 9

I have heard the same thing as long as it is still sealed up th ecream cheese should be fine. Not sure about ganache sorry.

CustomCakesBySharon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CustomCakesBySharon Posted 22 Jun 2007 , 3:32pm
post #4 of 9

as long as it's an ok consistancy for u, i'd use it! thumbs_up.gif

8Tracie8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
8Tracie8 Posted 22 Jun 2007 , 3:33pm
post #5 of 9

When I'm making my cream cheese frosting, I leave mine out on the counter almost all day long (take it out of the fridge when I get out of bed and use it later on in the evening 5-6 pm) and never had any problems.

alibugs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alibugs Posted 22 Jun 2007 , 3:36pm
post #6 of 9

I would use it. I would also tie your sons toes to the ceiling fan and put it on high. Just joking. Sing loud music in his room with the light on and wake him up. Just joking again. Well, maybe one of the two would work.

ldydb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ldydb Posted 22 Jun 2007 , 3:41pm
post #7 of 9

I think it is fine. I would use it.

cabincake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cabincake Posted 22 Jun 2007 , 3:55pm
post #8 of 9

I called the grocery store and talked to the dairy dept manager and he said sealed cream cheese is fine at room temp for quite a while. As far as the ganache, I have it on an ice bath so we'll see. I've calmed down now, if thats the worst I'm glad its over. icon_biggrin.gif

JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 22 Jun 2007 , 4:30pm
post #9 of 9

Ganache is fine at room temp for a couple of days.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%