Adding Shimmer/glitter To Wedding Cake?

Decorating By cakeshy Updated 10 Aug 2006 , 4:59pm by candygirl

cakeshy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeshy Posted 9 Aug 2006 , 9:51pm
post #1 of 5

My first wedding cake is this weekend. I'm a bit nervous about it. I'm planning on doing 3 tiers, all white buttercream, beaded border, and simple scrollwork on the sides of the tiers. The florist will be adding real flowers. I'd like to add some shimmer to the cake. Maybe using some edible glitter that I have left over from my Wilton courses. How am I going to get the glitter to stick once the buttercream has crusted. I'm planning on using parchment paper to smooth the imperfections and it seems like I can't add glitter prior to this step, right? What suggestions do you have? Is there a different or better method to add sparkle?

4 replies
tye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tye Posted 9 Aug 2006 , 10:24pm
post #2 of 5

If you want to use the glitter, i'd suggest using the parchment first then you can use a spray bottle with water and LIGHTLY spritz the cake so that the glitter will stick...

cakeshy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeshy Posted 9 Aug 2006 , 10:51pm
post #3 of 5

Thanks Tye! BTW, your cakes are gorgeous!

missyek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missyek Posted 10 Aug 2006 , 1:48am
post #4 of 5

First, can I suggest using Viva paper towels to smooth--so much nicer and easier to use than parchment! If I use the Wilton cake sparkles, I just sprinkle them on the already crusted cake--they stick pretty well. If you do want to put them on the sides, then yeah, I would spritz a little water ans throw the sprinkles on.

candygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
candygirl Posted 10 Aug 2006 , 4:59pm
post #5 of 5

I always add glitter/sparkles after the icing has crusted and they stick just fine.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%