Red Icing...ugh!

Baking By eromero Updated 11 Aug 2006 , 5:09am by nickshalfpint

eromero Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eromero Posted 9 Aug 2006 , 8:16pm
post #1 of 12

Hi Everyone,
I hope someone can help me. I am trying to mix the wilton red coloring into royal icing and it is just pink icon_cry.gif . I have practically used half of the container. How do I get an apple red from the wilton icing color? Also, is there another company which sells a good red (and black, for that matter) that will actually die the icing the right color?
Thanks for your help,
Elvira

11 replies
hope22023 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hope22023 Posted 9 Aug 2006 , 8:19pm
post #2 of 12

The best red I've ever gotten was by taking Wiltons Rose pink and getting it as fuschia as I could and then using the no taste Red to get it red. Even with that I used almost half of the bottle of red before it was the right shade. Hope that helps.

nickshalfpint Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nickshalfpint Posted 9 Aug 2006 , 8:19pm
post #3 of 12

AmeriColor!!!! I had the same problem with wilton. I used americolor and it was so much better. HTH

fragglerock1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fragglerock1 Posted 9 Aug 2006 , 8:19pm
post #4 of 12

I've heard that if you let Wilton red and black sit overnight, the color will darken. I use Americolor gels and only have to use a few drops of red and black to get the color I want without having to let it sit out overnight. Also you may want to try only coloring a cup of icing at a time.

nickshalfpint Posted 9 Aug 2006 , 8:20pm
post #5 of 12

Oh yeah, you can buy it here on cc.

AmyKay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmyKay Posted 9 Aug 2006 , 8:21pm
post #6 of 12

I haven't tried it, but I have read a lot of people use red Kool-aid mix to get a true red color....it might be worth a try if you have some around icon_smile.gif

lcottington Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lcottington Posted 9 Aug 2006 , 9:24pm
post #7 of 12

Americolor Super Red -- I took white white to Red Red with only a little bit of this coloring to make the Dr. Seuss Cat in the Hat cake in my photos -- I always make my frostings the night before I need them because they do deepen in color overnight---

Good luck!

brightbrats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brightbrats Posted 9 Aug 2006 , 9:30pm
post #8 of 12

Try the kool-aid. It does the trick, plus gives it a nice flavor.

yukisaru Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yukisaru Posted 9 Aug 2006 , 9:38pm
post #9 of 12

They have been selling kool-aid 10 for $3 where I am so as soon as they went back to the original price of 10 for $1 I stocked up. I think I have started to over use it but it is so nice to have and gets great color.

AmyKay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmyKay Posted 9 Aug 2006 , 9:40pm
post #10 of 12

How much kool-aid do you use per batch of icing??

yukisaru Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yukisaru Posted 11 Aug 2006 , 2:09am
post #11 of 12

I use 1 but I think you can use up too 3, for red I use the dark cherry just so you know. I put a little of the water I need in the mix with the kool-aid before putting it in to prevent grain.

nickshalfpint Posted 11 Aug 2006 , 5:09am
post #12 of 12

1 packet, or 1 tbsp?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%