Fondant And Gumpaste Course

Decorating By nechee Updated 23 Jun 2007 , 6:27am by beemarie

nechee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nechee Posted 22 Jun 2007 , 1:54am
post #1 of 11

I am looking to take the fondant and gumpaste class next month. However I have some extra money now and want to get the supplies needed while I have money to do so. So if anyone could tell me what the supply list is (other then the course kit of course) that would be very great.

10 replies
nechee Posted 22 Jun 2007 , 2:45am
post #2 of 11

anyone??

crazycakes2007 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crazycakes2007 Posted 22 Jun 2007 , 5:11am
post #3 of 11

I'm in the same exact boat, and bought the Wilton fondant and gumpaste course supply box. I just got frustrated, though, trying to do it without instruction.! I couldn't help it, I was too excited. Let us know how you like your class.

Cheryl
Crazy Cakes

CarriM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarriM Posted 22 Jun 2007 , 5:29am
post #4 of 11

I have the supply list my instructor gave me, it's a list of what to bring to lesson one. The decorating tools and supplies are:
~Student kit
~12in cake circles- 1 pkg + fancifoil or 12" silver cake bases
~Roll and cut mat
~20 inch rolling pin
~Small angled spatula
~Tapered spatula
~disposable dcorating gloves (optional)

As for the rest of the supplies, I would look in the store where you buy your supplies for the student book. It will have a list of needed supplies towards the front.

Also~ I recommend looking on e-bay for some of the items. In store, the cutting mat and rolling pin were $30, got them new on e-Bay for $20, including shipping.

HTH
Carri

Edit to add~ you also need 1 24oz pkg of white fondant, 1 fondant multi-pack, and piping gel for the first class.

suzmazza Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suzmazza Posted 22 Jun 2007 , 5:34am
post #5 of 11

If you are taking the Wilton Fondant and Gumpaste course, it gets to be quite costly, expect to spend about 80 dollars after paying for your kit. You will need to buy several boxes of the white and colored fondant, as that is their marketing scheme. I made my own fondant and used it since I was experienced with the stuff, and just wanted to learn how to make some different flowers, and my teacher didn't object. You will also need to get an angled pointed spatula if you dont already have one. You will need to purchase a 19" rolling pin, a package of gumpaste, cornstarch, shortening, powdered sugar, the roll and cut mat, cookie sticks for rolling out your gumpaste. As stated above, you need to buy a large box of the Wilton Fondant, and your choice of colors in the combined colors packages (ie pastels, brights). You will also need to buy a package of 12" foil covered cake drums. Also required are the cake rounds to go underneath your cakes, and they need to be the exact size of the cake you chose to make. Instructors suggest making an 8 or 10" cake for the first one, and the final cake is a 10". Other than the kit, and the supplies mentioned above, you really should be set for the first 2 classes, if you need anything further, your instructor will let you know per his/her class. Also, if you have worked with fondant or gumpaste before, check to see whats in the kit first. I had 90% of the things in there already, and just bought what I needed individually and it saved me alot of money.
I personally don't think they teach you enough in this course. Alot of time (and money) is wasting covering cake boards, and making cutouts. If this is the first time with fondant, it would be very helpful. If you are in hopes of a more advanced course like my friend and I were, we found it to be a waste of money. All in all I had fun, because it was 2.5 hrs of comic relief for four consecutive weeks. Good luck in your class, and let me know if I can be of any further help!

Amy729 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amy729 Posted 22 Jun 2007 , 5:36am
post #6 of 11

I took the fondant and gumpast class in May and was disappointed. There was alot of review stuff from the 3rd course. We didn't learn many flowers, mainly alot of fondant review. But if you didn't take the 3rd course you probabaly won't be disappointed.

I was hoping on more flowers and maybe a gumpast bow etc...

nechee Posted 22 Jun 2007 , 12:49pm
post #7 of 11

I am almost finished with course 3 now. I too am hoping for more flowers. Is the fondant and gumpaste class worth it after taking course 3? Or should I just teach myself?

suzmazza Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suzmazza Posted 22 Jun 2007 , 3:56pm
post #8 of 11

If you took course 3, I think you will find course 4 to be a repeat of things. You really don't learn to make any new flowers except daisies and carnations. You can easily teach yourself these flowers by following the directions that come with the petal cutters etc. I made a whole bunch of other flowers like stephanotis and was told I wasn't allowed to use them on my class cake because we didnt learn those in class. icon_sad.gif Use your best judgement on whether or not to take the class.

Chef_Rinny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chef_Rinny Posted 23 Jun 2007 , 2:11am
post #9 of 11

I just finished the fondant and gumpaste class and found it a huge disappointment. I spent a TON of money on supplies and fondant and didn't learn much at all. We had too much time and were always getting out of class really early...wouldn't recommend it.

nechee Posted 23 Jun 2007 , 4:44am
post #10 of 11

Thank you for yor opinions. I think I will skip the class. After all if I need to figure out how to do something, I know ym CC family will help me.

beemarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beemarie Posted 23 Jun 2007 , 6:27am
post #11 of 11

I am glad to see the responses on this class. I was getting ready to take it next month, and now I don't think I will. I think I will buy some books to teach myself instead!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%