San Francisco Area - Best Cake Supply Store???

Decorating By Newbie Updated 21 Jul 2014 , 3:23pm by rychevamp

Newbie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Newbie Posted 11 Jun 2005 , 2:24am
post #1 of 13

I'm looking for the best cake supply store in the San Francisco Bay Area. Please tell me your favorites.

12 replies
MrsMissey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMissey Posted 17 Aug 2005 , 3:53pm
post #2 of 13

Any luck?? I know there are quite a few CA members on here, hopefully someone will jump in and point you in the right direction! thumbs_up.gif

chikie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chikie Posted 17 Aug 2005 , 5:11pm
post #3 of 13

I live in the East Bay (Crockett) I go to Spun Sugar in Berkeley off of University Ave.

chikie Posted 18 Aug 2005 , 12:02am
post #4 of 13

That is the only one I know of (Spun Sugar) is ther any others?

Newbie Posted 18 Aug 2005 , 12:25am
post #5 of 13

Mrs. Missey thank you for bumping me up! I was surprised no one had ever responded.

Tiffany I know Spun Sugar (I am in Alameda) and took a class there from Linda. It's a great store but it's kinda small. I'm not sure what else I think I need that they don't have, but I'd love to find out!

Other than that, there's Michael's and a few party supply stores, but they only have the basics.

I'm still on the lookout for something new and exciting - I can't believe we don't have anything in the area! So speak up, fellow Northern California decorators!

Diana

chikie Posted 18 Aug 2005 , 12:34am
post #6 of 13

Diana~
I use to live in Alameda a few years ago. My hubby is in the USCG and is stationed out Alameda now.
Anyway, I went to Santa Rosa a few weeks ago, and found a cake decorating store called Nancy's Fancys they have alot of neat stuff there. It's about a hour from where I live.
I was thinking of taking a class at Spun Sugar. What class did you take? How was it?
~Tiffany

Kesha Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kesha Posted 18 Aug 2005 , 2:48am
post #7 of 13

I use to live in the area (Alameda) Spun Sugar is in Berkley. It is rather small but I could find most things I wanted in there. There is also a shop in San Rafael (Marin County) called Cake Art. I believe it is on 5th street and they have a good selection as well. If you want something and they do not have it they will gladly order it for you. They also offer classes.

itsacake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
itsacake Posted 18 Aug 2005 , 6:02am
post #8 of 13

I have also taken a class at Spun Sugar in Berkeley. The shop is small, but they do have some good things. I've also taken a couple of classes at The Cakeworks in San Jose. I found both shops to be pretty pricey and they usually don't have what I want.

I'd really like to open a cake decorating supply shop, but I checked with a realtor today about the cost of leasing space and the rent around here seems to be between $3,000 and $9,000 a month which is just more than that kind of store can support, I think. It explains why prices seem high,
If they have to pay rents like that, no wonder!

Anyway, I called Linton Paper and Supply in San Leandro and they sent me catalogs for 4 companies they represent. They are very old-fashioned and don't have a website, but they have lots and lots of cake decorating supplies from Caljava, Bakery Crafts, DecoPac, Lucks and more. They are not a "store", so you can't "shop", but you can call them and make a phone order or you can fax. Mostly you just have to ask if they have what you want. If you have a tax ID and a business license, they will sell to you at wholesale prices. Otherwise, they'll sell to you, but at retail. You just call and tell them what you want and they'll have it ready to pick up, or if you have a commercial address and order more than $150.00 at a shot they will deliver, or they will ship if you want to pay shipping (but it is local, rather than cross country shipping if you are in the Bay Area, so it should be less costly)

That's all I know, but I'd sure like to hear more! Are any of you members of the Fremont Frosters cake club? I've been meaning to get to a meeting and join, but haven't made it yet.

Newbie Posted 18 Aug 2005 , 2:55pm
post #9 of 13

Lot's of good info here - thank you all so much. Sounds like some traveling will be involved. Santa Rosa to San Jose - quite a wide area!

Chikie - I took "American Cake Decorating" at Spun Sugar. Linda is one of the owners. The class covered many of the same basics as Wilton 1 and 2, but I learned non-Wilton techniques and tips that are quite useful. Mostly I just enjoyed learning with other newbies. I hope to take a candy making class sometime. I understand their "truffle making class" is great. They also have "Sweetie Camps" for kids every summer - always a sellout. They have a website, but the calendar is not always up to date. I recently heard they MIGHT also rent character pans - I've been meaning to call and find out for sure.

Itsacake - Thanks for the info on Linton. I never would have known about them.
I went to a Fremont Frosters meeting and was set to join when family health issues prevented me from attending the orientation. (They don't admit members every month, but you can attend as a guest until they have a few people ready to join at once.) The ladies were very nice - the founder of the group remains quite involved. As I've found throughout the cake decorating community, people are friendly and generous with their time and knowledge. I hope to join before the end of the year.

Thank you all again for the info - any more store news be sure to post it here!

mariabambina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mariabambina Posted 17 Apr 2013 , 3:59am
post #10 of 13

Hi, has eveyone find a better store in the area?

Thanks,

cookieswithdots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookieswithdots Posted 17 Apr 2013 , 9:26pm
post #11 of 13

AEdwards cake supply in Modesto.

Melissa

meggsie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
meggsie Posted 21 Jul 2014 , 6:58am
post #12 of 13

Megan's Bake Shop in West Sacramento, CA.

rychevamp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rychevamp Posted 21 Jul 2014 , 3:23pm
post #13 of 13

There is Sugar and Spice in Daly City.  Haven't been there is years, and I'm not sure if it's owned by the same person, but she was a little out there.  I've heard issue's with customer service,etc. 

There's not a good one in the Bay Area unfortunately.  

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%