How To Make Edible Glitter

Decorating By MissBaritone Updated 19 May 2012 , 11:16pm by Neadsk

MissBaritone Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissBaritone Posted 9 Aug 2006 , 5:29am
post #1 of 16

Reading through a 2nd hand book I bought I found this recipe for edible glitter. It is by Sylvia Coward and I've never made it so I don't know how it will turn out but thought it might be useful to some of you.

50ml of hot water
25g Gum Arabic

Pour water into a bowl and sprinkle gum arabic over. Stand the bowl in hot water stirring gently to dissolve

Strain mixture through a piece of nylon

Brush mixture onto a clean baking tray or glass surface and place in a warm oven (140c) until dry

Brush or scrape the dry glitter off the tray and crush it into fine flakes. Store the glitter in an airtight jar

Glitter may be coloured by adding food colouring to the water before mixing.

15 replies
sharibearie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sharibearie Posted 9 Aug 2006 , 5:38am
post #2 of 16

Thanks for sharing...sounds cool! icon_smile.gificon_lol.gif

Cyndi1207 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cyndi1207 Posted 9 Aug 2006 , 5:44am
post #3 of 16

Wow.....thanks!!

cupcake55 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcake55 Posted 9 Aug 2006 , 5:45am
post #4 of 16

I also have this recipe in a book from Gates School of Decorating. It lists the ingredients as:

1 T Gum Arabic
1 T warm water

The directions are pretty much the same as you have. The measurements are probably the same, too. I am attaching this information for those of us who are not used to metric measurements. icon_smile.gif

emilykakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emilykakes Posted 9 Aug 2006 , 11:11am
post #5 of 16

Cool! I can't wait to try it! Thanks!!! thumbs_up.gif

LittleLinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleLinda Posted 9 Aug 2006 , 11:30am
post #6 of 16

I searched Cake Central and Wilton for a product called Gum Arabic and did not find it. When doing a general search, I found this.

http://www.pennherb.com/cgi-bin/herbstore.cgi/cat?;gums

But does anybody know if you can just get this in a store ... in the United States?

SUELA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SUELA Posted 9 Aug 2006 , 11:46am
post #7 of 16

I would imagine so as you can get it in Canada. Wilton does not make the product though. You could try a health food store or a bulk store.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 9 Aug 2006 , 6:11pm
post #8 of 16

Cake Sparkles and Shimmer Dust by Wilton are both gum arabic--one in a large flake form and the other ground very fine. CK Products also makes cake sparkles. I bought a huge jar of the white/clear for about $22, but it's equal to more than 10 of the small ones and I use the white most often

I think the Cake Sparkles are shinier, so I just grind them to the consistency I want. I put a small amount in a tea strainer/mesh grater and pulverize them with the handle of a spatula--works great. They come in many colors: blue, yellow, pink, green, purple, black, white/clear, red, and perhaps a few more. If you grind them smaller, even the small jars go a long way.

Rae

gmcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gmcakes Posted 9 Aug 2006 , 6:17pm
post #9 of 16

Thanks for the tip! May have to try this if I can find the ingredient!

cupcake55 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcake55 Posted 9 Aug 2006 , 6:34pm
post #10 of 16

I purchased gum arabic(Acacia Powder) in a cake store here in Kansas City. It was $4.69 for a 1 oz. container. The website for the store, Baker's Rack, is www.onestopbaking.com

LittleLinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleLinda Posted 9 Aug 2006 , 10:59pm
post #11 of 16

Seems more economical to just buy the sparkles already made!

noms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
noms Posted 6 Dec 2011 , 1:00am
post #12 of 16

This is the best source I could find for gum arabic powder. It's made from the resin of the acacia tree and is used in all kinds of things. At $11/lb, that's FAR cheaper than buying glitter and you could easily tint it with any gel food coloring - just tint the water.

http://www.mountainroseherbs.com/bulkherb/a.php

My only question is - how do you get it off whatever you paint it on? I'm wondering if painting it on a plastic ziploc bag or a layer of plastic wrap would be best. Then, because they're pliable, you could just remove the wrap from the back of a cookie sheet and along with it would come the dried gum arabic.

This would definitely take quite awhile to make, though. Painting a thin layer of the stuff and waiting for it to dry would take forever to have enough to use on anything, I think. I guess you could do it in your spare time or something and build up a surplus... or if you only needed a little bit and didn't want to invest in a bottle of the stuff.

I'm sure what manufacturers do is simply spray-dry the stuff on flexible sheets. I wonder how long it takes to dry.

Cakechick123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakechick123 Posted 6 Dec 2011 , 1:14pm
post #13 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by noms

My only question is - how do you get it off whatever you paint it on? I'm wondering if painting it on a plastic ziploc bag or a layer of plastic wrap would be best. Then, because they're pliable, you could just remove the wrap from the back of a cookie sheet and along with it would come the dried gum arabic.

the flakes lift of by itself once its dry, or you just rub it with your finger and it will come off, however it does not sparkle as much as bought glitter. IMO its is more economical to buy the little glitter pots .

The-Worlds-Best Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
The-Worlds-Best Posted 19 May 2012 , 5:42pm
post #14 of 16

Hi
I only have tylose, can I use that instead?
Thanks!!

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 19 May 2012 , 10:34pm
post #15 of 16

No, tylose is NOT the same as gum arabic. When combined with water, tylose forms a strong glue. It won't "flake".

Rae

Neadsk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Neadsk Posted 19 May 2012 , 11:16pm
post #16 of 16

Wow never knew you could make it yourself must try find the ingredient and try it some time! Thnks for posting the recipe icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%