...really Starting To Freak Out Here....

Lounge By mmdd Updated 10 Aug 2006 , 6:08pm by mmdd

mmdd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mmdd Posted 9 Aug 2006 , 2:21am
post #1 of 19

My oldest starts Kindergarten on Thurs.

I thought I could handle it, but the close it gets, I just want to icon_cry.gif !!

And, to top it all off, at the beginning of Sept, my 4 yo will start preschool!!!

(Needless to say I will be getting a part time job to help fill up my "extra" time and to make some extra money.....since preschool does cost $)

But, I just sat here and cried tonight b/c my big boy is going to kindergarten.

I know it will all be ok and I will get through it and laugh after it's over, but it's the "RIGHT NOW" that I'm having a problem with!!!!!

Sorry, just had to vent!!

18 replies
m0use Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
m0use Posted 9 Aug 2006 , 2:29am
post #2 of 19

Big breaths! We're here for you!
I was in your same position last year with my son going to school!
He held up better than me icon_cry.gif

Ohara Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ohara Posted 9 Aug 2006 , 2:34am
post #3 of 19

I do feel for you... A few years ago I was sitting at kindergarten first day of school with my youngest. It came the point in the day when they take the kids away and talk to the parents before we leave. One of the moms made a comment about how hard this was.....and then I told them "I know it is hard but let me tell about my morning. My youngest came to kindergarten, my second child started her freshman year of high school and my oldest started his senior year of highschool today. icon_eek.gif You may laugh about it later, but it still gets to me to remember that day. Enjoy your little ones they don't stay little long enough!
Jennifer

mmdd Posted 9 Aug 2006 , 2:49am
post #4 of 19

Thanks guys!

Dh just laughs a little.......I don't think he really understands how much it's bothering me!!!

I won't let my 5 yo know; the preschool thing isn't getting to me .............YET!!! But, this kindergarten thing, well I think I'd just rather have him at home with me; even on those days I just about pulled my hair out!!!!

Maybe dh just laughs a little because he has a 14 yo! I don't know, but I'm doing all I can do to hold up through this...it just feels like <deep breath> a huge barrier or something....it's a lot of pain!!!! More pain than it was to have him, lol!!!

<deep breath in 1, 2, 3; deep breath out. repeat!)

cupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcake Posted 9 Aug 2006 , 5:20am
post #5 of 19

This particular time is their first flight into the world, as a mother it is our jobs to prepare our little fledglings to enter into this new world. Unforfunately, its hard to let go. But if you kept him under your wings, what kind of man or women would they be? You are the rock, the sticky in the glue, the one person in their lives that can build the strengh of this country. Be proud for you have managed to get to the first step in developing a good human being, one that will have love, compassion and faith.There will be many more times in your life that your eyes will be filled with tears, what love.......what joy......thank the lord for giving you such a gift.

leta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leta Posted 9 Aug 2006 , 7:01am
post #6 of 19

Oh, It's great. At our school they actually host a coffee and kleenex for the moms.

When my oldest went to Kindergarten, they had the bus and driver at the school orientation. He was so thrilled. He actually insisted on riding the bus to school the first day!!!!!!!!!!

I can't remember if he was the only one on there or what! I really couldn't talk him out of it. He had his mind and heart set on it. Makes me laugh. I know I could talk his 2 younger brothers out of it, or insist that it's my privelege to drive the first day. What a brat!

I feel for you! I hope he likes to talk and tell you about everything. My boys always give one word answers. Their highlight is whatever they had for lunch or snack!

klg1152 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
klg1152 Posted 9 Aug 2006 , 10:58am
post #7 of 19

mmdd - it will be alright, trust me our oldest starts Kindergarten this year and the baby starts Pre-K. They both went to Pre-K 3 and in my experience the first day of school is the hardest on the Mom's and the second day of school is harder on the child. However it is a new chapter in the life of your family - they begin to gain some independence and you get a few (well deserved) hours to yourself. It's funny, here I thought I would have all this free time to myself once they were in school - yeah right. You will find projects that need to be done and things that you haven't been able to do since they were born but I have learned to take one hour to myself so every morning after I drop them off to school I go for a workout - it does a world of good. Any how, let us know how you are doing.

mmdd Posted 9 Aug 2006 , 11:21am
post #8 of 19

Thanks everyone!!!

I know that the first day is harder on the moms.....but I was wondering how the 2nd day would be on the children; and the 2nd week and the next month, etc., lol!

One thing we already did was highlight all of the days he goes to school on a calendar, so he'd know. He doesn't seem to mind having to go a lot of days, lol!

He's up at the crack of dawn every morning and ready ready ready...................always has been!! So, I guess, one thing I've been wanting to make sure I do is make sure he gets enough sleep at night-with his excitement, and such a big part of life, I'm wondering if it will keep him up or anything.

Anyway, thanks to everyone. I woke up this morning (wed.) and it came to my mind first thing, so I had to change the subject in my head. Oh well!!!

mbelgard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbelgard Posted 9 Aug 2006 , 11:34am
post #9 of 19

The first day is tough, especially when your child is telling you to leave. icon_cry.gif I don't know if husbands ever understand, mine really wants the boys to get bigger because then he can hunt with them and stuff. He was happy to send our oldest to school because that meant he was getting bigger. Lucky for me there's a 4 year age difference with our boys so I still have 2 more years with the little one, I'm already dreading that.

jen1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jen1977 Posted 9 Aug 2006 , 12:30pm
post #10 of 19

My oldest starts kindergarten soon too. I worry about him because he is very shy and a total follower. I don't want him to buddy up with the rowdy kids and end up in a lot of trouble. I just pray every day that he chooses good friends, and participates in class. In preschool, he wouldn't raise his hand to go to the bathroom, or let the teacher know he needed paper, etc. My poor baby would RUN in the house after school and go straight to the bathroom. I'll worry myself to death about him I'm sure, and hope that he has a good time and actually wants to go to school. It would be much harder on me if he doesn't want to go!

calla74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
calla74 Posted 9 Aug 2006 , 12:31pm
post #11 of 19

I hope tomorrow (and the anticipation today) isn't too hard on you. I remember my oldest's first day of kindergarten (he never went to preschool so he'd been with me every day). His school didn't even let the parents stay a little while they had us drop them off at the classroom door and leave. In some ways I think that was better for parents like me. If I was allowed to stay I would have been the one clinging to his ankles refusing to leave! They had stressed at the parent orientation that we as parents should try to keep it together so we didn't worry the kids but it was so hard. I did manage to make it to the parking lot and then I pretty much hyperventilated through the tears the whole way home. It is true they seem to be so eager and its us the parents that seem to have the hardest time. Now my middle child starts kindergarten this year and my oldest is going to be starting second grade! I've got over 3 weeks until they start though.

Good luck tomorrow just keep taking those deep breaths!

monstersmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
monstersmom Posted 9 Aug 2006 , 12:32pm
post #12 of 19

When my oldest started kindergarten, he insisted on taking the bus to school the first day. He cried when I said I wanted to bring him. I cried when he got on the bus icon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif .

Well, he starts 2nd grade in Sept. and I'm happy to say we both survived kindergarten and him taking the bus. DD is going into her second year of Preschool, but next year it'll be the kindergarten heartbreak for me all over again.

But let's admit it...as much as we love and miss them when they're in school...we're all a little happy for the peace and quiet in the house while they're in school icon_lol.gif

daltonam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
daltonam Posted 9 Aug 2006 , 12:39pm
post #13 of 19

mmdd--mine's gone, as said in the other post

she's gone--we took her to school, she went in put her things away & sat down to color, got up hugged me bye, started coloring again---no biggie to her---NOW ME--my stomach hurts

CakesByEllen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByEllen Posted 9 Aug 2006 , 2:34pm
post #14 of 19

AAWWW, don't get me started. You all know I am freaking about my oldest starting K.

mmdd - we will get through this somehow. I'm misting up just reading these posts!

Good luck tomorrow. Are you driving your son, or is he taking the bus?

Mine doesn't start until September 7th. Parent orientation isn't until August 29th. AAARRRGGGHHH! It's all too much for me.

(of course, add to that the fact that we are moving into the district at the end of September, our current house isn't selling, and dh is talking about us having to get second jobs to pay for it all ... my life sucks lately)

(((((hugs))))))

Ellen

mmdd Posted 9 Aug 2006 , 3:11pm
post #15 of 19

I hope you're doing well, daltonam!!!! I remember your ticker down there!

One thing I'm glad of is that both of my boys are very "ready" to do things and if they need something, they let us know, people at church know, etc. So, I'm not too worried about them being shy; and I hope they don't turn shy!!!

I'm also glad b/c he's so eager to go.......if he was holding on to my leg, that would make it a lot harder on me than what I'm dealing with now!!!!

Thanks, everyone, for what you've wrote as I'm sure I'm not the only mother in the world going through these motions, lol!

leta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leta Posted 9 Aug 2006 , 3:39pm
post #16 of 19

Oh, a funny story--I just remembered why I wasn't too bent out of shape when my second son started school:

I was having contractions that morning, so I got up and got dressed and got the kids ready for school. I took him to class, dropped him off to his teacher, then got in the car with DH and called the nurse-midwife who told me to come to the hospital right away. Our 3rd was born that eve at 7:00.

The Nurse-midwife told me that another woman called her early in the morn and she had to tell her to come to the hospital immediately and she didn't get to take her kid to school on the first day icon_sad.gif So she said it was a good thing I did first things first.

So it was a good thing that he was well adjusted and ready for kindergarten because I ended up being in the hospital with the baby 4 or 5 days. Delivery was great, but they were giving him antibiotics because I had tested positive for Group B strep.

daltonam Posted 10 Aug 2006 , 3:31am
post #17 of 19

hold on tight--it's gonna be okay--let us know what happens!

daltonam Posted 10 Aug 2006 , 5:41pm
post #18 of 19

so how did things go???

mmdd Posted 10 Aug 2006 , 6:08pm
post #19 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by daltonam

so how did things go???

Well...............I felt so sick to my stomach!!!! And, after I dropped him off, it just felt like a big knot in my stomach!

I kept myself busying going around getting some applications, I'm gonna get a part time job since my 4 yo will go to preschool in sept.

But, I walked him in and he knew exactly where to go. He immediately told his teacher that he brought his lunch. (he wasn't theonly one) and he seemed so content! I told him bye, etc., but the teacher stopped me and asked me if I ever wanted to volunteer in the classroom or help out or take things home to do like tear pages out and cut things out. So...I ended up telling him bye twice (cuz I told him again when I was through talking to his teacher) and he was like "bye mom" and was talking to the other children, etc.

But, I............................had to sit in the car and just "chill out" for a min.

My 4 yo wanted to go to grandmas while I took my 5 yo to Kindergarten, so I was all alone.

Right now, I'm gonna leave in less than a half hour to pick him up. He asked me if Grandma could come with us to pick him up.

So.......I'm fine for now, but honestly.......I don't wanna do it again!!!

Thank you for asking, tara, and how did your 2nd day go?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%