Cake Outside In Nc Heat And Humidity Questions

Decorating By cevans Updated 9 Aug 2006 , 9:13pm by cevans

cevans Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cevans Posted 8 Aug 2006 , 11:40pm
post #1 of 8

I have been asked to make a bridal cake for a luau. I am really excited but it is going to be outside. Is it better to use fondant? I am in NC and with the heat and the humidity I am not sure what to do? Would buttercream melt? Thanks for your thoughts!! thumbs_up.gif

7 replies
luvbakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvbakin Posted 8 Aug 2006 , 11:55pm
post #2 of 8

What month is the wedding?? Probably fondant would be better.

sweetsuccess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetsuccess Posted 9 Aug 2006 , 12:01am
post #3 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvbakin

What month is the wedding?? Probably fondant would be better.

Ditto!! birthday.gif

subaru Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
subaru Posted 9 Aug 2006 , 12:10am
post #4 of 8

I use all crisco buttercream, except I only use 1/2 the amount of crisco. I have never had a problem with melting icing. After it sits and crusts, You are good to go.

traci Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
traci Posted 9 Aug 2006 , 3:14am
post #5 of 8

I live in Texas so I totally understand your concerns about heat and humidity. When is the wedding? If the cake must be outside...I think I would use fondant.

Good luck! icon_smile.gif

ncdessertdiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ncdessertdiva Posted 9 Aug 2006 , 12:24pm
post #6 of 8

I live in NC. Last year about this time of the year, I made my daughter's wedding cake. It was at the beach with an outdoor reception. I used crusting BC frosting with no problems. It was at least 90 degrees with 95% humidity. The cake stayed out several hours for the reception and did not suffer from either the heat or humidity.
Leslie

TOMAY Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TOMAY Posted 9 Aug 2006 , 12:27pm
post #7 of 8

here in monroe nc its been over 90 for the past few weeks with the humidity i would not risk butter cream i have one due on the 26th and i am doing the MMF. i have had my experince in scraping icing out of my car so no more ......

cevans Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cevans Posted 9 Aug 2006 , 9:13pm
post #8 of 8

Thank you all. It is in a couple of weeks. So I am figuring it is still going to be pretty hot!! I will post a picture when I get it done icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%