Shopping

Decorating By ChrissyChrissy Updated 11 Jun 2005 , 4:08am by traci

ChrissyChrissy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChrissyChrissy Posted 11 Jun 2005 , 12:23am
post #1 of 9

Ok so Im going out tonight to buy the stuff I need for my daughters birthday cake well a practice cake frist! I already bought the pan and some kind of cake decorating package. What else do I need
Im getting:
the ingredents for the buttercream icing
cake mix ( Im cheating alittle shhh)
wilton colour paste?? How much is that stuff? is it coloured icing or do I add it to the buttercream?
Maybe some piping gel just incase lol
Candy decorations
Is that it?

8 replies
debsuewoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debsuewoo Posted 11 Jun 2005 , 12:37am
post #2 of 9

What's in your decorator kit? You'll need several couplers (one for each color), parchment paper triangles (or pastry bags) for piping the BC (I would advise you not to use the disbosable bags... disgusting mess!)... oh, tips.... you can NEVER have too many tips, especially if you're using more than one color.

The gel is added to the white BC, but start with tiny amounts (use a toothpick) until you get the desired color. Also, remember, that some colors will darken as they sit.

What kind of cake are you doing? Don't forget to upload a picture of it, and have fun!

Debbi

Joshsmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Joshsmom Posted 11 Jun 2005 , 1:00am
post #3 of 9

I definitely can't do without the Cake Release. Its so much easier than greasing and flouring your pans.

I actually prefer the disposable bags.

A MUST have for me too is the icer tip (its a really large tip) that you use for icing your cake.

Happy Shopping - the gadgets are addicting. icon_surprised.gif

ChrissyChrissy Posted 11 Jun 2005 , 1:28am
post #4 of 9

Thank you for the replies girls! I will post a picture, should be interesting!! ahahah Oh yeah what is a coupler? I am such a rookie sorry!

Joshsmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Joshsmom Posted 11 Jun 2005 , 1:45am
post #5 of 9

A coupler is what you will put your tip on. One half of the coupler goes inside your bag, (you'll have to trim your bag to fit the coupler that goes inside) then the tip goes over that from the outside, the ring then screws over the tip and the part that you have in your bag.

debsuewoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debsuewoo Posted 11 Jun 2005 , 1:51am
post #6 of 9

The coupler allows you to change yout tips without having to empty your icing bags.

Oh! Flower nails to use as a heating core... I read about that on this site and will never bake a cake without one again!

traci Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
traci Posted 11 Jun 2005 , 2:30am
post #7 of 9

Do you have a good recipe for buttercream icing? This is what I use:
2 sticks butter
1 cup crisco
2 teaspoons mexican vanilla
2 teaspoons butter extract
8 cups powdered sugar
5-6 tablespoons of water
This is a good recipe and smoothes easily. You might want to get a large spatula for icing your cake. I also use the disposable bags...You can experiment and see which ones you like the best. Have fun with this...I can't wait to see how it turns out!
traci icon_wink.gif

ChrissyChrissy Posted 11 Jun 2005 , 4:02am
post #8 of 9

Thanks again for your help icon_smile.gif
WHat is Butter extract? I cant seem to find it anywhere. Ive looked where all the extracts are and I didnt see a butter extract. I look at Safeway and Sobes. They both didnt have it!

traci Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
traci Posted 11 Jun 2005 , 4:08am
post #9 of 9

You can buy clear butter extract from Michael's or Walmart in the Cake decorating section. The brand is Wilton. The grocery store should sell Adams butter extract.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%