How Much More To Charge For This Cake

Business By lacie Updated 22 Jun 2007 , 6:53pm by jewelykaye

lacie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lacie Posted 21 Jun 2007 , 6:56pm
post #1 of 5

i have a basic charge for butter cream @ $2 a slice. This cake will be a 2 layer 6inch and a 2 layer 9 inch @ 44 slices per wilton, so that would be $88 just for the cake. But how much more for the cookies, mine will be covered with royal and i will not be providing all the toys (the parent will)

Note: this cake is not mine, i found it on a google image search so i have no clue whose it is.
LL

4 replies
jewelykaye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jewelykaye Posted 21 Jun 2007 , 7:46pm
post #2 of 5

Looks like there are about 22-25 cookies on there. So I guess it depends on what you charge per cookie. I would charge about $1.50/cookie. So that would be about $33-$37.50 extra.

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 21 Jun 2007 , 11:21pm
post #3 of 5

All of my cookie prices are figured $1 an inch. So if you have 5 cookies that are 5"x2" and 3 cookies that are 3"x2" then I would charge $5.00 and $3.00 per each cookie. so in my example then I would charge $34.00 for the cookies. This price includes up to three colors and the entire cookie decorated. If you don't have that much then you could charge less, it is up to you.

HTH

hsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hsmomma Posted 22 Jun 2007 , 6:37pm
post #4 of 5

Many people underestimate how much time goes into cakes....but, and this is just me, 122.00 for a child's birthday cake (that is a pretty basic cake) sounds like TOO much! I know it probably isn't...I just can't imagine spending that much for a cake each year (on each kid...I have 5...I would go broke! LOL) Besides the cookies, it seems pretty simple (and the parents are supplying the bulk of the decorations). I just think that maybe it's too high. But, in your area, if you can get that...GO FOR IT!! I just know that it wouldn't fly in my area. Not for a birthday cake. Maybe, a 3D or heavily decorated cake...but, this one seems more basic than that. Even the cookies seem more basic. I'm just giving my opinion, like you asked....Anyways...I hope I didn't offend....nobody crucify me for thinking it is too much money...LOL

jewelykaye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jewelykaye Posted 22 Jun 2007 , 6:53pm
post #5 of 5

I think the price is more than reasonable. If they want something cheaper they can either make it themselves or go purchase a grocery store cake.

You wouldn't go to BMW and expect prices that you would get from Kia. It's basically the same thing. You are paying for what you get and you shop within your budget. (Nothing against Kia, I have a Hyundai, so I have no room to talk).

My point is, they should know that they are coming to a speciatly baker who makes each cake fresh, makes the icing and hand decorates every part with love (sometimes icon_wink.gif ).

I think you should quote them the prices that have been suggested and if they are looking for something more affordable then you can give them another option or they can go somewhere else.

Good Luck! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%