This Is Prolly A Stupid Question For All You Pros But...

Decorating By beginningcakebaker Updated 21 Jun 2007 , 6:54pm by Sugar_Plum_Fairy

beginningcakebaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beginningcakebaker Posted 21 Jun 2007 , 6:30pm
post #1 of 5

What is fondant? I have heard it used so many times here and I am just learning to bake so I don't know what it is or how it is used. I would like to make a spectacular cake for my birthday party and I was told to use fondant to make stars but I don't know what it is.

4 replies
JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 21 Jun 2007 , 6:36pm
post #2 of 5

Fondant is a mixture of sugar and gelatin-tastes like marshmallows- that is rolled and covers a cake. It can also be used to make shapes figures and cutouts.

You can buy it ready made, Wilton doesn't taste very good, but there are others that are very tasty-Satin Ice for one.

Janette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Janette Posted 21 Jun 2007 , 6:38pm
post #3 of 5

http://atecousa.net//learn/satin-ice-tutorial-i-icing-your-cake.html

This site will explain everthing.

I don't like working with fondant but that's just me, most do.

Wilton fondant is horrible I would go with the Satin Ice or thier is a recipe here on the site that everyone talks about

beginningcakebaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beginningcakebaker Posted 21 Jun 2007 , 6:42pm
post #4 of 5

Thank you so much for explaining it to me. I have never used it before and wasn't sure where to start. Thank you.

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 21 Jun 2007 , 6:54pm
post #5 of 5

As has been previously stated, Wilton's brand tastes terrible, but it's good for practice or for molding figures that you don't want to eat. It's texture is pretty good.

There are plenty of recipes on this site and online. Some are Marshmallow fondant, which I find particularly tasty, and so do many children that I know. And there's also brands that can be purchased, like Satin Ice, FondX and a few others.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%