Pouring Into Candy Molds...

Sugar Work By Starkie Updated 26 Jun 2007 , 12:22am by Zahrah

Starkie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Starkie Posted 21 Jun 2007 , 4:57pm
post #1 of 12

I am attempting my first batch of hard candy. I have a mold in the shapes of jewels, and I want to make different colors of gems. After I make my candy, flavor and color, what is the best way to get it into the molds without spilling everyone everywhere? And how long will it take until I can remove the candy from the mold? Finally, what is the best way to store the rest of the (hot liquid) candy until my mold is free again?

Thanks so much!

11 replies
Starkie Posted 21 Jun 2007 , 8:21pm
post #2 of 12

Anyone???

Starkie Posted 22 Jun 2007 , 1:27pm
post #3 of 12

Okay, last chance to give me some advice!!!

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 22 Jun 2007 , 1:34pm
post #4 of 12

Gee..I was gonna suggest a piping bag but the liquid is too hot!!!..Hmmmmm I am at a loss!!

JenWith Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenWith Posted 22 Jun 2007 , 1:36pm
post #5 of 12

Funnel?

jilliankinsel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jilliankinsel Posted 22 Jun 2007 , 1:38pm
post #6 of 12

How about a turkey baster? I know there are metal ones out there. I used a dollar store one for my chocolates an dit worked well, but I will buy a better one if I plan on doing it more often.

lpino Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lpino Posted 22 Jun 2007 , 1:44pm
post #7 of 12

I use one of those squizable plastic bottles (like the ones they use in restaurants for Ketchup).

They work like a charm and, if it gets too hot, you can use an oven mit or wrap it in a towel.

Good luck.

Starkie Posted 22 Jun 2007 , 6:55pm
post #8 of 12

Thanks, everyone!!!

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 22 Jun 2007 , 7:11pm
post #9 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starkie

I am attempting my first batch of hard candy. I have a mold in the shapes of jewels, and I want to make different colors of gems. After I make my candy, flavor and color, what is the best way to get it into the molds without spilling everyone everywhere? And how long will it take until I can remove the candy from the mold? Finally, what is the best way to store the rest of the (hot liquid) candy until my mold is free again?

Thanks so much!

1) Do NOT use plastic unless absolutely sure it will not melt at the high temps that sugar is -- not mention very hard to hold with well oven mitten covered hands. -- the squeeze bottles are made of a soft low-temp plastic. if you check at the various sights on the net that sell them you will find that they are normally rated to 140 degrees -- not even half the temp the sugar will be.

don't be fooled by "dishwasher safe" -- max temp in most dishwashers (and that is commercial ones) is 180 degrees. Most home ones hit about 140-160. Still WAY below the temp the sugar will be at.

sugar at hard crack stage (one used for most hard candies) is at 300 to 310 degrees -- even hotter than boiling water -- can easily get a 2nd degree and even 3rd from it!

2) use METAL --- the metal basters will work as will a spoon or metal pot w/ a pour spout -- but again -- protect your hands --

miriel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miriel Posted 22 Jun 2007 , 7:36pm
post #10 of 12

You can use a heatproof measuring cup with a spout to pour into the molds, see picture here: http://www.pastrywiz.com/cakes/4ofjulyhardcandy.htm

rezzygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rezzygirl Posted 22 Jun 2007 , 7:50pm
post #11 of 12

another variation of what miriel posted:
http://www.getsuckered.com/hard-candy-sheet.aspx

Zahrah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Zahrah Posted 26 Jun 2007 , 12:22am
post #12 of 12

Yep. Pyrex measure glass with a pour spout. Saw Bronwen Weber doing that just last nite on Food Network. Let us know how it turns out!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%