Wedding Cake Topper Dilemma

Decorating By leepat Updated 8 Aug 2006 , 2:49pm by leepat

leepat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leepat Posted 8 Aug 2006 , 1:49pm
post #1 of 5

I have a wedding cake that I am doing for Sept. 2. It is 3 tiers 6", 10", & 14" covered in fondant, with calla lillies down the side. You can see one similare to it in my pics. Only on that cake the bride wanted the lillies on the 6" and just set the topper on the table. This bride wants her topper on her cake, slight problem it is ceramic, with absolutely no way to attach it to the cake. If I just sit it up their I am afraid of it falling off. Help!!! How do I attach this thing?

4 replies
Cake4ever Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake4ever Posted 8 Aug 2006 , 1:53pm
post #2 of 5

Will Royal icing adhere to fondant to act as an adhesive?? I'm sure BC does, but it's not as strong as royal when dried.

midge Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
midge Posted 8 Aug 2006 , 2:00pm
post #3 of 5

When I have a heavy topper for a cake and I know that it won't stay put, I usually get a small base that the bride will allow me to glue the topper to and then support the base with dowels. By glueing to the base, it seems to give it enough stability to stay in place when supported with the dowels.

Good Luck

sweetbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetbaker Posted 8 Aug 2006 , 2:05pm
post #4 of 5

There are topper bases from Wilton (see pics on bottom row in link below) or you could make one out of foam core board or just regular cake boards but of course, you would most likely have to dowel the top tier before placing the topper. Also, you may have to glue or tape the topper to the topper base. Hope these ideas help.

http://www.wilton.com/store/site/department.cfm?id=3E3051EC-475A-BAC0-5D8A91FD88B9722F

leepat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leepat Posted 8 Aug 2006 , 2:49pm
post #5 of 5

Thank you so much for coming to my rescue once again. I believe I am going to purchase one of those Wilton bases and see if the bride will let me glue her topper to it. Thanks again.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%