Doctored White Cake Mix

Baking By SpudCake Updated 17 Aug 2006 , 11:45pm by leta

SpudCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SpudCake Posted 8 Aug 2006 , 3:52am
post #1 of 21

I am making a white cake with strawberry filling and whipped cream icing. Does anyone have a good doctored white cake mix recipe they would like to share. Something that would go well with strawberries and whipped cream. I would like a nice moist cake. Thanks in advance.

Joanne usaribbon.gif

20 replies
aggiecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aggiecakes Posted 8 Aug 2006 , 3:55am
post #2 of 21

I use the recipe on this website that calls for dream whip. I think there is a recipe that uses pudding and dream whip and one that does not use pudding. I use the one with pudding and it turns out great - not dense, but not too fluffy either.

Caykes2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Caykes2 Posted 8 Aug 2006 , 4:06am
post #3 of 21

I made a white cake for my co-workers with a strawberry filling using DH white cake mix and added three squares of melted Bakers white chocolate. The cake lasted no more than half an hour. Everyone said it was like eating fresh strawberries dipped in white chocolate with the cake added to it. Oh! I did use fresh strawberries also. Hope this helps.

cindy6250 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cindy6250 Posted 8 Aug 2006 , 4:13am
post #4 of 21

My favorite cake is White Almond Sour Cream Cake. It is very moist and has a wonderful flavor.
Here is a link to the recipe:

http://www.recipezaar.com/69630

Cindy

goal4me Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
goal4me Posted 8 Aug 2006 , 4:17am
post #5 of 21

I agree the white almond sour cream is great, reliable, firm enough to stack or make a wedding cake....and it's moist!

SpudCake Posted 8 Aug 2006 , 3:52pm
post #6 of 21

The white chocolate sounds great but I am afraid it will distract from the strawberries for this customer. The cake mix recipe with sour cream and almond, can you taste those ingredients? The recipe with dream whip, is it a mix or scratch, if a mix can you tell me whip one it is. Thank you all, you are great help.

Joanne usaribbon.gif

SpudCake Posted 9 Aug 2006 , 3:15am
post #7 of 21

Anyone have problems with the middle sinking in the sour cream cake? I just made it and the middle sunk. I made a 9 x 13, maybe I should have used my flower nail? or? Thanks in advance.

Joanne usaribbon.gif

cindy6250 Posted 9 Aug 2006 , 3:22am
post #8 of 21

I've never had a problem with that cake sinking.
I always bake mine in round cake pans though.
Does the middle seem done? I do use a flower nail in my 9 x 13 cakes.

Cindy

SpudCake Posted 9 Aug 2006 , 3:29am
post #9 of 21

Yes the middle does appear to be done. It is still cooling, can't wait to taste it. I wanted to make it for an order this Saturday and was trying it out tonight on family. My husband took it out of the oven for me, he said that it fell when he poked it with the toothpick.

Joanne usaribbon.gif

cindy6250 Posted 9 Aug 2006 , 3:39am
post #10 of 21

Hmm. Can't imagine what made it fall. I've had cakes fall before , but it's usually chocolate or strawberry that do me in. Maybe someone else can offer some help on this.

Cindy

lucy1900 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lucy1900 Posted 9 Aug 2006 , 3:56am
post #11 of 21

Hello all. I have a link to another good white cake recipe. This decorator does beautiful work and has some good recipes on her site. Good Luck!
I know this link is long but it should take you right to her recipes. I have been a fan of hers for a long time. P.S. I have made this cake and even left the "home brew" out of the smaller recipe and it worked fine.

http://search.netscape.com/ns/boomframe.jsp?query=wedding+cakes&page=1&offset=1&result_url=redir%3Fsrc%3Dwebsearch%26requestId%3D88450b12a023dcbc%26clickedItemRank%3D8%26userQuery%3Dwedding%2Bcakes%26clickedItemURN%3Dhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.earlenescakes.com%252F%26invocationType%3D-%26fromPage%3DNSCPToolbarNS%26amp%3BampTest%3D1&remove_url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.earlenescakes.com%2F :
icon_biggrin.gif

SpudCake Posted 9 Aug 2006 , 9:50pm
post #12 of 21

Well I cut into the cake and guess what...it wasn't done in the middle...duh...the cake tastes great so I will use the recipe and use my flower nails to help conduct the heat to the middle. Thanks to all of you for your time.

Joanne usaribbon.gif

AgentCakeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AgentCakeBaker Posted 10 Aug 2006 , 12:33am
post #13 of 21

My favorite doctored cake is the bride's cake. It is very moist and delicious. I've made this cake with strawberries and whipped cream and I get rave reviews every single time.

christeena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
christeena Posted 10 Aug 2006 , 12:48pm
post #14 of 21

Spudcake,

I made the Sour Cream Almond White Cake in a 10x10x2 square and it took 65 minutes for it to bake at 325 degrees. Since there are no times given on this sites recipe I just started at 30 minutes and kept adding 10 more and checking until it was done. If anyone has used this recipe in the 14" round, can you tell me what your baking time was?? I have two wedding cakes coming up and wanted to use this recipe. Thanks.

lucy1900 Posted 11 Aug 2006 , 10:08pm
post #15 of 21

Hi Agent Cake Baker. I couldn't find the recipe with the link you provided. Would you be so kind as to post it.
Thanks

AgentCakeBaker Posted 17 Aug 2006 , 11:13pm
post #16 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucy1900

Hi Agent Cake Baker. I couldn't find the recipe with the link you provided. Would you be so kind as to post it.
Thanks

I didn't provide a link, I think that was lucy1900. The cake recipe I use from the cake mix doctor book is as follows:

1 box of white cake mix
1 cup of milk
1 stick of butter
3 eggs
2 tspns of vanilla extract

Euphoriabakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Euphoriabakery Posted 17 Aug 2006 , 11:23pm
post #17 of 21

Here's my favorite white cake recipe:

1 box white cake mix (BC or DH)
1/3 C butter melted
1 1/4 C milk
4 large egg whites
1 small box white chocolate pudding mix
1 tsp almond extract

This recipe is to die for! I just made this for a bride with fresh strawberry filling and white chocolate bavarian cream filling and everybody at the wedding thought it was amazing.

lucy1900 Posted 17 Aug 2006 , 11:33pm
post #18 of 21

Agent Cake Baker and Euphoria could each of you please list the size layers you can get from each of your cakes? Lucy icon_biggrin.gif

Euphoriabakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Euphoriabakery Posted 17 Aug 2006 , 11:36pm
post #19 of 21

Sure, it makes the same as a box mix with just a slightly higher layer. So 2 8-inch cakes or 1 9x13.

AgentCakeBaker Posted 17 Aug 2006 , 11:44pm
post #20 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Euphoriabakery

Sure, it makes the same as a box mix with just a slightly higher layer. So 2 8-inch cakes or 1 9x13.

Ditto

leta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leta Posted 17 Aug 2006 , 11:45pm
post #21 of 21

I like the Enhanced Cake Formula recipe on CC with Betty Crocker French Vanilla.

I made it for a cake serving 600 and it came out perfect every time.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%