How Many Wedding Servings In A Box Mix?

Decorating By busybscakecompany Updated 21 Jun 2007 , 6:09am by busybscakecompany

busybscakecompany Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
busybscakecompany Posted 21 Jun 2007 , 2:28am
post #1 of 8

From what I can tell, it depends on the cake pan shape. (From 13 to 19) But that is a large span when you are up in the 200 to 300 people range! So...., on average, does anyone know how many 2x2x4" high servings are in a cake mix? Or perhaps the question is....how many wedding servings are in one cup of batter?

(I am in the middle of making two Cassino Themed Wedding and Grooms Cakes. Now that I am beginning to stack the cakes, I think I am way over in the amount of cake that I estimated. I hope to stop baking at this point and get a better calculation before I go any further.) Thanks to all!

7 replies
jsmith Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jsmith Posted 21 Jun 2007 , 2:36am
post #2 of 8

I use wilton's servings chart. Their sizes are 1"x 2" x4" though. So according to them one box makes 24 servings. You could also try Earlene Moore's serving chart which is a little more generous.

littlewoman Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlewoman Posted 21 Jun 2007 , 2:36am
post #3 of 8

I don't go by the number of serving in a mix. I use the number of servings in each layer it doesn't change whether you are using a mix or a recipe. What size pans are you using? If you look in a Wilton cake book the chart will tell you number of servings per pan. Also it tells you how cups of batter per layer. Hope this helps

melysa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melysa Posted 21 Jun 2007 , 2:39am
post #4 of 8

well, an average cake mix will say 12 servings, or you can make 24 cupcakes. it also says that you fill 2, 8" pans. according to wiltons wedding chart, 1x2x4, you get approx. 20 slices out of an 8" round cake. how many do you need to feed and what size pans are you using?

miriel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miriel Posted 21 Jun 2007 , 2:42am
post #5 of 8

Different brands of cake mixes yield different amounts of batter. And once other ingredients are added and the mix is doctored, that will change the amount of batter more.

To determine the number of servings, look up the size of the pans you used for the cake on this chart: http://www.cakecentral.com/article14-Cake-Baking-Cutting--Serving-Guide---2-in-Deep-Pans.html

busybscakecompany Posted 21 Jun 2007 , 3:12am
post #6 of 8

Thanks to all for your quick reply! O.K. The wedding size is 200. That is including the grooms cake. So far I have baked for the grooms cake, (1) 9"x2" Hexagon and (2) 15"x2" (equaling 83 servings?)....I have baked for the wedding cake so far, (2) 14"x2" Rounds and (3) 9"x2" Rounds. (equaling 48?) The "anniversery cake is a 4x4x4" dice that I have not included in the calculations.

What would you calculate? If I use all three 9" rounds, I should probably add one more 14" round don't you think?

miriel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miriel Posted 21 Jun 2007 , 3:55am
post #7 of 8

The chart I linked is based on cakes that are 4" high.

For the grooms cake, the 15" hexagon cake will yield 70 servings. This excludes the 1 layer 9" hexagon cake.

For the wedding cake, the 14" and 9" round cakes will yield 78+32=110 servings. This excludes 1 layer of the 9".

There is an extra 1 layer 9" hexagon and a 9" round cake. If you bake another 9" hexagon and 9" round, you will get additional 26+32=58 servings.

Total servings is 70+110+58=238 for both brides and grooms cakes. This excludes your 4x4x4 anniversary cake.

busybscakecompany Posted 21 Jun 2007 , 6:09am
post #8 of 8

Thanks Miriel for your help. Your numbers were the same as the CC chart I use. I think the amounts will be fine. It is 2:04am. I just finished baking and covering the "dice" cake with fondant, and the buttercream is made! The other cakes are wrapped and ready to stack tomorrow....It's just too hard to work quietly and efficiently with people sleeping! So, I'm throwing in the apron and heading for the pillow! Thanks again for confirming my numbers! I will post a picture when it's completed.
Bobbi

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%