Jelly Roll Virgin Needs Practice

Decorating By oceanspitfire Updated 5 Aug 2016 , 7:16pm by felin

oceanspitfire Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
oceanspitfire Posted 8 Aug 2006 , 12:13am
post #1 of 28

Ok now that I have your attention HEHE- lol, ok here's the scoop - I've been reading about 6 books that I took out of the library, well from cover to cover, but I'm reading up on jelly rolls- (cause I have a plan for an upcoming cake lol), seems that they all fall under the 'spongecake' category.
And spongecake and similar recipes tend to use lots of eggs. I guess eggs arent THAT expensive- I just wanna know what is the cheapest easiest recipe I can use (first question) to practice for the 'big one'- and maybe second question is any tips anyone have to share if you have experience making jelly rolls? lol
the most important question really I posted elsewhere but I'll post again- I didnt rreally, in my research, see a lot of added ingredients in any of the 'roulade' recipes. Wondering if because a jelly roll is so thin that this would alter the quality and perhaps the ability to roll? I 'd like to add a considerable amount of coconut- I'm wondering what I need to do to compensate (dont want to remove too much flour or it wont really stay together I'm guessing). Any thoughts?

27 replies
Narie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Narie Posted 8 Aug 2006 , 3:31am
post #2 of 28

Ok, I'm really not sure what you want to know. Jelly rolls are easy to make and even easier to get rid of. I have an excellent recipe which uses about 5 eggs. The expensive part of a jelly roll is the jelly, not the eggs. If you would like recipe, I would be happy to share it. Yes, you could add coconut, but not too much... and don't mess with the other ingredients. Baking is chemistry and while 1/2 cup or so of coconut will not mess up a recipe altering the essential ingredients would. You might consider making a filling with coconut in it.

oceanspitfire Posted 8 Aug 2006 , 3:37am
post #3 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Narie

Ok, I'm really not sure what you want to know. Jelly rolls are easy to make and even easier to get rid of. I have an excellent recipe which uses about 5 eggs. The expensive part of a jelly roll is the jelly, not the eggs. If you would like recipe, I would be happy to share it. Yes, you could add coconut, but not too much... and don't mess with the other ingredients. Baking is chemistry and while 1/2 cup or so of coconut will not mess up a recipe altering the essential ingredients would. You might consider making a filling with coconut in it.

I've seen a few recipes in all the books I've looked at. I guess I could try them all LOL would preferably try a recipe (as my trial run) that's A) easy, and B) that's been tried (successfully) in here.
I might have to make one with say half cup coconut and see the results, and then try a bit more the second time and see.
So yeah I'd love your recipe please icon_biggrin.gif and when I add the half cup coconut, would I add more liquid or reduce flour to compensate?

Narie Posted 8 Aug 2006 , 3:13pm
post #4 of 28

Old Fashioned Jelly Roll (Welshs Recipe)

4 eggs
¾ cup sifted all-purpose or cake flour
1 tsp. baking powder
¼ tsp. salt
¾ cup sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
Powdered sugar
1 10 oz. grape jelly (raspberry or cherry jam are my favorites)

In an electric mixer bowl, let eggs warm to room temperature (about an hour). Sift together flour baking powder and salt, set aside. At high speed, beat eggs until thick and lemon colored. Gradually beat in sugar, 2 Tbs. at a time, continuing to beat until very thick and light yellow (about 5 minutes). At low speed, blend in dry ingredients and vanilla just until combined. Spread evenly in a prepared - lightly greased, floured and lined with parchment paper - jelly roll pan (15 x10 x1 in.). Bake in a preheated 400 degree oven until surface springs back when gently pressed with a fingertip (about 10 to 13 minutes).

Sift powered sugar on a clean, smooth tea towel (not terry cloth) in a 10 by 15 inch rectangle. With a sharp knife loosen the cake from side as needed. Turn on to sugared tea towel; gently peel off parchment paper and trim off any crisp edges. Starting with the 10 inch side, roll cake in towel. (Yes, the towel gets rolled up with cake.) Place seam side down on wire rack until cool. Gently unroll cake, remove towel and spread with jelly that has been beaten with a fork to spreading consistency. Reroll and place on a platter; cover loosely and chill at least 1 hour. Serve topped with sifted powered sugar. 10 1 inch servings.

Warnings- do not under beat eggs (cake turns out very icky and strange)
- do not over bake (makes the cake dry)
- do allow the eggs to stand for a hour(room temperature eggs beat up better)

Quote:
Quote:

when I add the half cup coconut, would I add more liquid or reduce flour to compensate?

NO! Baking is chemistry; do not mess with the core ingredient proportions. Coconut is an extra like nuts or chips or changing the vanilla to orange flavoring, those changes, as long as they are not extreme, will not effect the the chemistry of the recipe. Changing the number of eggs or the flour amount will. Either fold it in immediately after the flour and vanilla have been added or sprinkle it on the top of the batter when it is spread evenly in the pan. Sprinkling it on the top of the batter will give you a toasted coconut effect.

oceanspitfire Posted 9 Aug 2006 , 6:19am
post #5 of 28

Narie thank you so much for posting the tips with that recipe- I've seen a lot of recipes in the books I've read but not with the addition of personal experience notes. (or maybe those were part of the recipe, just from a better book lol)

One more teeny question- I am quite certain I wont be able to acquire a jelly roll pan- I have noticed that cookie sheets/jelly roll pans fall in the sam category in some online shops- my cookie sheets are 15 by 10- it's only the size that matters right? (lol)- I mean I see by 1 inch high, are the sides of jelly roll pans traditionally higher than those of cookie sheets? My cookie sheet would be acceptable, right? I didnt see a noticeably diff online btw the cookie sheets and jelly roll pans. Oh well, I shall practice that recipe thursday after work and see how it goes as a trial run lol. Thanks so much again, I shall probably be asking more questions as I go LOL

Narie Posted 9 Aug 2006 , 5:05pm
post #6 of 28

If your cookie sheet has an edge on all four sides; yes, it will work and that is what I use. I use the same pan for Texas sheet cake and pumpkin bars.

Because of the wait times involved, may I suggest that you take the eggs out of the refrigerator as soon as you get home from work. Cut your parchment paper, prep the pan and turn on your oven before you start measuring and mixing. Then get the eggs beating and then measure out your dry ingregedients. (Use cake flour if you have it- but don't bother with it if you don't, the recipe works equally well with all-purpose flour. Do check the expiration date on your baking powder.)

While the cake is baking, clean up your mess and prep the tea towel. You will need clear space to work quickly when the cake comes out of the oven. I can't remember if I roll towards myself or away when I start rolling the cake up in the towel. I think I roll towards myself- either way is fine, just do what ever gives you better control and a firmer roll.

When the cake is totally cool, seam side down-don't try to rush this- unroll, spread the beaten jelly almost to the edge, and start rolling up again- without the towel. Once you have the roll started, use the towel it is laying on to continue the roll, the weigth of cake is evenly distributed on the towel and you avoid finger dents on the cake surface. Chill, seam side down for an hour.

OK, I said this was easy and it is. However I am an experinced baker. I suspect you are not. So you may be facing two new challenges; first, making a sponge cake, second, making a rolled item. If it doesn't work out perfectly the first time, don't be discouraged. Just tell me what went wrong, take pictures if you have a digital camera, and I will be happy to try and help you get the second try to work better. It will be worth the time and effort. Jelly rolls are very cool, and once you get the techique down pat, there are endless variations you can make up. Let see, how about a Pina colada roll, Key lime, orange dream, etc.... Just think of the less than perfects as steps on the road to becoming the jelly roll queen.

NEWTODECORATING Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NEWTODECORATING Posted 9 Aug 2006 , 5:17pm
post #7 of 28

Sorry and please excuse me for butting in here, but I just have to say how NICE and HELPFUL you have been Narie! icon_biggrin.gif Alot if times on the internet we don't realize we are helping more than one person at a time. I have been following this post and you have helped me out alot too, with out knowing it. Last Christmas I made a few pumpkin rolls and had a few crack on me and never was quite sure I was doing it right. You have cleared up a few things for me and I just wanted you to know that and say THANKS! thumbs_up.gif

Narie Posted 9 Aug 2006 , 8:14pm
post #8 of 28

You are not butting in, NEWTODECORATING; and I am pleased to know that whatever I wrote was helpful. I really like rolled cakes. You are not alone in having cracked them rolling them up or flipping them on to the tea towel for that matter. You don't even want to know about my first one- that had to be a good 45 years ago and I still cringe when I think about it. What is so cool about them is they don't need frosting, just a good filling, they look fancy and impress the heck out of people. And the possibilities are endless.

oceanspitfire Posted 23 Aug 2006 , 5:47am
post #9 of 28

Well, my practice jelly roll cracked when I rolled it icon_cry.gif and as I'm posting this Im reading my instructoins and realizing I forgot to cut off the edges- there wasnt anything royally crisp lol but I'm thinking thats' why it broke cause the edges werent totally soft and pliable? hmmm
Ok I used a BC supermoist white cake mix (with egg whites not eggs added) -cause I posted somewhere else about needing white coloured cake and the sponge/jelly roll recipes were all nonwhite lol- ok so I was told that would work- and that's ok. It's my lack of experience I guess. It's just the bottom bit near the seam that cracked- oh and I calibrated my oven but it was going fubar different temps today icon_mad.gif murphy's law- what else did I do? hmmmm oh yeah, it wasnt a 9 by 15, it was a 9 by 13 (so I removed some of the batter to make it a thinner layer. I think it looks about the 'normal' thickness for a jelly roll. Oh well thanks to everyone for the feedback and to dydemus for suggesting the white cake mix- weeee what a breeze not having to separate 20 egg whites on top of mixing everytehing else lol.

this was just the trial run- when it cools and I unroll it and put on whatever jam I have in the fridge, and reroll- well we shall see- maybe I'll just keep doing this all night (I Have 2 more packages lmao) until it turns out right before the real one on Thursday LOL

Narie Posted 23 Aug 2006 , 1:52pm
post #10 of 28
Quote:
Quote:

Well, my practice jelly roll cracked when I rolled it and as I'm posting this I'm reading my instructoins and realizing I forgot to cut off the edges- there wasnt anything royally crisp lol but I'm thinking thats' why it broke cause the edges werent totally soft and pliable?

Actually if you didn't have cripsy edges it will not make a difference. Wait a minute, what did you mean by royally crisp? Non-pliable edges do make a difference. I would suggest that you get a 10 by 15 pan. The thickness of the cake makes a difference. Also a regular cake is more likely to break than a true sponge because they are less pliable.

Quote:
Quote:

what a breeze not having to separate 20 egg whites on top of mixing everytehing else lol.

Huh? you don't seperate eggs for a sponge cake.

oceanspitfire Posted 23 Aug 2006 , 2:47pm
post #11 of 28
Quote:

Actually if you didn't have cripsy edges it will not make a difference. Wait a minute, what did you mean by royally crisp? Non-pliable edges do make a difference. I would suggest that you get a 10 by 15 pan. The thickness of the cake makes a difference. Also a regular cake is more likely to break than a true sponge because they are less pliable.
Quote:
Quote:

what a breeze not having to separate 20 egg whites on top of mixing everytehing else lol.

Huh? you don't seperate eggs for a sponge cake.

Ok not royally crisp- I meant they were crunchy- they were a bit browned but maybe I thought that had I trimmed hte edges period it would have been totally easy to roll lol.
The thickness makes a diff yes I can imagine- are you saying mine should have been thicker? or Thinner? My layer ended up being half an inch thick. I woke up this morning, pulled it out of the fridge and cut off a slice to inspect what part of it hadnt cracked. Well I run into another problem. My grand idea to make 'sushi rolls' is out the window now, as these pieces are WAY too big around (I DID think to roll from the LONGEST end of the layer) to be fitting on my base (I'd have to make my base 3 times bigger and turn it into Paul Bunyan's sushi dinner LOL). So now I'm faced with another dilemna. I tried squishing a bunch of it together like a cake ball, thinking I'll just have to muck around and form them that way, but I didnt add extra liquid to make it form into anything so it just turned into a crumbly mess (moist mind you lol).

Ok so you're saying secondly that I should just forget the white cake recipe and face the fact I have to make a sponge cake and accept the cake wont be white coloured?

As for separating the 20 eggs for the other recipe- I was referring to the 'from scratch white cake recipe' (I dont normally do boxes- but I bought the boxed white cake mix from BC)

I shall do a trial spongecake recipe (the actual jelly roll recipe LOL) this morning, and see what happens. Oh also, I baked according to the box instructions, at 350, when an actual jelly roll recipe I have printed up has 400- could cooking it on lower have made a difference? ALso I read somewhere someone used parchment paper to roll up instead of towel- all my kitchen towels are terry and I was told not to use terry cloth. Any thoughts on all this mess? LOL

Ok well I'm going to try the actual jelly roll recipe and ignore the fact my cake wont be white in colour icon_smile.gif) -

Narie Posted 23 Aug 2006 , 3:12pm
post #12 of 28

Ok, gotcha now. I have never done this but you might consider an angel food mix instead of a butter cake. White in color and while not a sponge it is a foam cake and less likely to break. Your cake wasn't too thick as I thought it might be. You might actually cut you cake into smaller squares.
5X5 inch would give you 6 rolls of much smaller size. If you have cloth napkins, roll each of them individually in a sugared napkin. What you are planning is very clever, I hope it works.

Parchment paper for rolling obviously worked. That isn't a problem and baking at the correct temp. for that cake was a smart choice.

Final comment, jelly rolls sometimes break, usually in that last roll right where you said yours did. Perhaps the smaller sized ones will not.

oceanspitfire Posted 23 Aug 2006 , 3:17pm
post #13 of 28
Quote:

Ok, gotcha now. I have never done this but you might consider an angel food mix instead of a butter cake. White in color and while not a sponge it is a foam cake and less likely to break. Your cake wasn't too thick as I thought it might be. You might actually cut you cake into smaller squares.
5X5 inch would give you 6 rolls of much smaller size. If you have cloth napkins, roll each of them individually in a sugared napkin. What you are planning is very clever I hope it works.

Ok I had cloth napkins before 2 moves ago but they disappeared :| is the non teatowel/cloth thing imperative? Cause I did read parchment was ok- it sort of stuck to the cake though even though I sprinkled CS on it. I have to run up to the store now and maybe pick up an angel food mix- funny, I looked at that box yesterday on the shelf thinking I should get this too lol. So I shall get a tea towel and an angel food mix. And try those. I don't have to work until 2 thank god lol.

Yeah what I'm planning is clever, isnt it? Maybe I should work out logistics before I go planning stuff like this to make sure it's possible, instead of finding out the week of that it's not - well we'll see. Off to the store I go

Narie Posted 23 Aug 2006 , 6:19pm
post #14 of 28

Looked this up. It seems that one angel food cake mix makes two rolls.

http://www.fbnr.com/Recipes/670/1924005670.htm

I don't have two 15x10 pans but this sounds good to me, and I have a angel food cake mix in the pantry.

oceanspitfire Posted 23 Aug 2006 , 8:15pm
post #15 of 28
Quote:

Looked this up. It seems that one angel food cake mix makes two rolls.

http://www.fbnr.com/Recipes/670/1924005670.htm

I don't have two 15x10 pans but this sounds good to me, and I have a angel food cake mix in the pantry.

Well Narie, I have to thank you- You are a godsend icon_biggrin.gif (especially- everyone else too of course)- the welsh recipe you gave me is awesome- I was not wanting to run to the store this morning and spend more money on an angel food cake mix- I figured cut my losses and go with the jelly roll cake recipe you posted and so it's not going to be totally white- we'll live with it lol. (for now til i practice with other recipes lol)- so I made the welsh recipe(another trial run- going to do the 'real thing' tomorrow at my niece's house-my freezer wasnt working well- so I didnt want to have it sit in there for a few days not totally frozen)

Ok so by the time I whipped the hell out of the eggs it was almost white anyway icon_lol.gif so I pulled it out after about 11 minutes -cut it into quarters in the pan already then flipped it over onto my sugar coated tea towel. Was a bit tricky pulling off the parchment off the bottom but it came off ok eventually. This was jsut a trial run so I wasnt worried. Anyway, I rolled up the whole thing (quarters cut but together) and then unrolled and slopped on some plum jam I had in the fridge. Rolled up each quarter (wide way not short way) and well I dont have my webcam set up (no digital cam) or I'd have taken a 'thus far' pic- but so far so good icon_biggrin.gif they look like little sushi cake rolls indeed!

Let's home the 'real thing' tomorrow goes the same. Anyway, I have all my 'tools' and gear packed in my backpack, other cakes are in the freezer (I did a blackberry pound cake in a bundt pan for my mom. Can't wait to ice it and put flowers in the middle icon_biggrin.gif) and off I go right after work tonight!

I shall take lots of pics and let you know how it went.

Thanks again for your wonderful advice and help! Much appreciated!

Tkeys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tkeys Posted 23 Aug 2006 , 8:21pm
post #16 of 28

I don't usually make a traditional jelly roll, but I make a chocolate roll (same concept, but chocolate sponge cake and filled with chocolate cream instead of jelly). It is a family recipe, and my great aunt taught me to roll it initially while it is still warm (not hot, but warm). I flip it onto a slightly damp dish towel, and roll the jelly roll with the towel while it cools. The dish towel keeps it moist and prevents it from sticking to itself without trapping the air inside. Then, i unroll, fill it, and re-roll it later after it has cooled (and obviously, without the towel). I was always told that if you wait until it cools completely, it will crack, and the cake is much less pliable. If you roll it while warm, it will cool and hold its form, so when you later unroll it, it will want to go back to the rolled shape. Anyway, that is how we do it in my family! A regular cake recipe will crack - you need to have a cake that is more like a sponge cake, or it won't roll properly.

joanmary Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joanmary Posted 23 Aug 2006 , 8:56pm
post #17 of 28

Does it may any difference if you choose to fill it with ice cream?

I love the idea of a cake roll but the few times over the years I have tried one, they always crack badly. Will probably give it one more try.

Thanks for all the great advice.

Tkeys Posted 23 Aug 2006 , 9:03pm
post #18 of 28

I've never filled it with ice cream . . . but I like the idea. I bet you could do that if you softened it enough. I have, however, filled it with a chocolate cool whip (just mix in cocoa), and filled it with whipped cream (i always make it chocolate whipped cream . . . can you notice a trend?), and with a chocolate mousse - all delicious ways to fill a chocolate roll, as we call them in my family! I bet pudding could work, too.

Narie Posted 24 Aug 2006 , 1:22am
post #19 of 28

Terrific- I'm glad you tried that recipe. It is a good one; and other than beating the eggs, it is a very easy one. It really doesn't take much in terms of ingredients. Also jelly rolls impress the heck out of people because they look harder than they are. Now that you have the process down, just imagine the fillings you can use rather than jelly. The other part I like is that they aren't large, and you don't have a lot of left overs.

Tkey- how different is your recipe for chocolate roll from mine? Is it just a matter of cocoa?

annlou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
annlou Posted 24 Aug 2006 , 1:40am
post #20 of 28

Narie, have you tried filling with ice cream? I make alot of "jelly rolls" but rarely fill with jelly. I have done lemon with lemon curd, chocolate with whipped cream and crushed oreos, etc. But I use box cake mixes for all except for pumpkin. I don't know if I can explain how I do it. It took alot of practice. I do roll them before they have cooled. I have tried to fill with ice cream but can not get it. If it is too soft it oozes out and too hard it cracks the cake for me. Thanks LouAnn

BigFatMamaKat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BigFatMamaKat Posted 24 Aug 2006 , 1:51am
post #21 of 28

I didn't do it myself, but I was helping with a wedding reception where we had angel food cake rolled with three flavors of sherbet. It was good AND pretty. icon_razz.gif

Tiffysma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tiffysma Posted 24 Aug 2006 , 2:03am
post #22 of 28

I've only made one with cream and one with homemade peach filling. Howver, DH bought me a jelly roll type ice cream cake once that was chocolate with chocolate mint ice cream filling and it was to die for!! I'm going to try that one next!

Tkeys Posted 24 Aug 2006 , 4:34am
post #23 of 28

Narie - the recipe i use is definitely different. It calls for more eggs (separated), regular sugar, less flour (also cake flour), and some cocoa. You have to beat the egg whites stiff, then add the sugar and yolks and the rest of the ingredients, then fold in the flour. It bakes for about 12 minutes, and you let it cool for one minute before flipping it out onto the damp towel and rolling. Feel free to PM me if you have more questions.

Narie Posted 24 Aug 2006 , 4:40am
post #24 of 28

No, I've never filled with ice cream. I thought about it but I wanted an easy chocolate sponge recipe and never really saw one that I thought wasn't a major pain... i.e. requiring seperate beating of egg yolk and egg whites then folding the two together. However, I found one at Hershey's site, "Trimtime Chocolate Roll Cake" I intend to try that one and it uses 1 cup of frozen yogert. So no suggestions to how to do that one.

BFMamaKat- angel food and sherbet. wow... you are talking my language now. Every summer I go through a orange sherbet craze. The rest of the year it's vanilla but come late July and August it is orange sherbet. Put that with angel food and I am in heaven.

oceanspitfire Posted 24 Aug 2006 , 5:54am
post #25 of 28

Now that I have a simple recipe that is obviously really easy to make- Im going to experiment withj all sorts of fillings-
I have seen a recipe with ice cream- I'll find it if ya want- I saw the pic too- it looks pretty tasty- I think it's in an old (5o yr old) book I have about cakes (some sort of encyclopedia edition I found at a garage sale once) -had the buche? (spelling) de noelle and a few other rlls with great fillings including ice cream

I've made ice cream cakes though before- they're not hard- but if you make layers they require some planning ahead as the ice cream has to be softend and then refrozen and that takes longer than you'd think

oceanspitfire Posted 28 Aug 2006 , 2:12pm
post #26 of 28

Well it's done!!! YAYYY she loved it and I had a blast making it too lol- all the construction notes are attached (in my photos-under asian themed cakes)

The jelly rolls were fun to make- first time., well did trial run 2 days before- but I made them at my niece's house (who this was for) and they didnt have white sugar(hello who doesnt have white sugar- even I do and I dont use it cept for baking lol). So otherwise my rolls would have looked perfectly authentic lol oh well. Had a blast making this of course I love real sushi so yeah lol

Thanks for all the tips and help (especially Narie) - the jelly roll recipe you posted I will definitely be using again- it's super easy and yeah well I cut my jelly roll into 4 squares out of the oven, but I cant wait to make a regular sized one and fill it with yummy things icon_smile.gif

Narie Posted 28 Aug 2006 , 2:17pm
post #27 of 28

thumbs_up.gif And the crowds went wild! thumbs_up.gif

felin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
felin Posted 5 Aug 2016 , 7:16pm
post #28 of 28

If you want the yummiest sponge cake roll of all time look up Libby's Pumpkin Roll. Amazing!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%