Help! Can I Add Pwdr Cocoa To 1/2 Cake Mix To Make Chocolate

Decorating By CakesByEllen Updated 21 Jun 2007 , 4:27pm by sheri717

CakesByEllen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByEllen Posted 20 Jun 2007 , 8:51pm
post #1 of 7

I have to make a character cake that is half yellow and half chocolate. Can I just add powdered cocoa to half the batter to make the chocolte half??? How much do I use?

6 replies
CakesByEllen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByEllen Posted 20 Jun 2007 , 9:33pm
post #2 of 7

Anyone?

LittleLinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleLinda Posted 20 Jun 2007 , 11:13pm
post #3 of 7

I wouldn't try it on a customer. I'd just get a yelow mix and a chocolate mix and do half and half that way. Either make a half mix (one egg is sufficient ... you don't have to try to do 1.5 eggs). Or you can make the whole mix, put half in the pan and make cupcakes or a half and half cake for your family. (Or even try addidng cocoa to the leftover yellow batter to see if your idea would work.)

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 20 Jun 2007 , 11:56pm
post #4 of 7

I think it would work. I have done it before. You know when you buy a marble cake mix, they give you that little packet of chocolate powder to add to some of the batter you remove. So I dont know how Much you would add exactly. I would just stir it in until you get the color and taste you want. The stuff you get in the box mix probably isnt more than about 1/8 cup or so and you are supposed to add it to 1 cup batter.

Antylucifer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Antylucifer Posted 21 Jun 2007 , 3:57pm
post #5 of 7

Check out the following recipe, I made this cake quite a while ago and people have been requesting it ever since.

Holiday Secret Cake
1 (18.25-ounce) package white cake mix
1 (3.75-ounce) package instant vanilla pudding mix
4 large eggs
3/4 cup vegetable oil
1 cup water
1 cup chocolate syrup

Preheat oven to 375*F.
Combine white cake mix, instant vanilla pudding mix, eggs, oil, and water in a mixer bowl. Beat at medium speed for 2 minutes. Pour half the batter into a greased and floured fluted cake pan. Stir chocolate syrup into the remaining batter. Pour over the white cake batter.
Bake for 45 to 55 minutes, or until the center is set. Cool in the pan for 10 minutes before turning out on a wire rack to cool completely.
Makes 12 servings.\\

I use Hershey's chocolate syrup & it gives it a rich chocolate taste. Good Luck, Gail

UGoCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
UGoCakes Posted 21 Jun 2007 , 4:21pm
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by merissa

I think it would work. I have done it before. You know when you buy a marble cake mix, they give you that little packet of chocolate powder to add to some of the batter you remove. So I dont know how Much you would add exactly. I would just stir it in until you get the color and taste you want. The stuff you get in the box mix probably isnt more than about 1/8 cup or so and you are supposed to add it to 1 cup batter.

I was going to say the same. But then I would also love to try the recipe Antylucifer suggests, sounds good. Will have to try that one. Good luck - icon_smile.gif

sheri717 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sheri717 Posted 21 Jun 2007 , 4:27pm
post #7 of 7

Holiday Secret cake sound yummy, want to save this recipe icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%