1/2 Crisco 1/2 Butter Buttercream - Color Question

Decorating By 4dollars Updated 8 Aug 2006 , 11:58pm by kayscake

4dollars Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
4dollars Posted 7 Aug 2006 , 7:50pm
post #1 of 14

Why is it that my 1/2 and 1/2 recipie turns out so yellowish? I used the clear vanilla, and always measure everything. Sometimes it's almost perfectly white and other times its nearlly yellow. I always use the same brands, etc. I just cant figure it out. The wedding cake i made this weekend was yellow! I feel so bad about it. Of course it didn't look as yellow at my house, but under the church lights it was. (Bride and Mother of the bride said they loved it, but I am still not happy. It was an almost free cake to them, they just bought the ingredients. The are very close friends of mine.) What if they wouldn't have been happy? I need to figure out what I'm doing wrong for future reference. The grooms cake has a white detail on it and I used icing from the same batch as the main wedding cake, and it looks white!!!! Any ideas as to what I can do? I really don't like the idea of changing my recipie, because everyone loves the taste, But I can't have all of my cakes being yellow!!!!!!!! please help.

Sorry so long.

p.s. the pics are in my gallery its the harley cake and the big one with the fountain and smaller cakes.

13 replies
yukisaru Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yukisaru Posted 7 Aug 2006 , 7:54pm
post #2 of 14

I use the white coloring in my butter cream if I need it to be white.

vixterfsu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vixterfsu Posted 7 Aug 2006 , 7:54pm
post #3 of 14

The butter could be one guess. Also, if the
lights are ultra violet, everything is a different
color.

TOMAY Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TOMAY Posted 7 Aug 2006 , 7:56pm
post #4 of 14

Each batch of butter and criso are usually different i find that sometimes that yellowy color comes from the dye in the butter, Natural fresh butter is not yellow. look for a brand that has hardly no color i know that sometimes store brands are higher offenders of this to keep the cost down. My suggestion is to invest in some icing white and always do your color matching out in natural sunlight. Also if the floresent lighting is yellow the reflection of the icing color is going to pull yellow as well icon_rolleyes.gif

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 7 Aug 2006 , 7:58pm
post #5 of 14

When I need to have a white icing, I use all crisco. It takes a TON of that white coloring and it (IMO) leaves a yucky taste/feel in my mouth. I know that some folks say that the all crisco recipes are gross, but I have not had one bad comment on it. (and it is my standard recipe) People love it, and it is perfectly white. I've found no matter what kind of butter I use, there is always that "ivory" color to the icing. So, all crisco it is for me.

cruizze Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cruizze Posted 7 Aug 2006 , 8:03pm
post #6 of 14

I agree with Vixterfsu. The butter and the lighting are key to true white. When I want to check a color I take it to a window or outside to get the frosting/fondant's true shade. My kitchen bulbs give off a yellow hue. I keep meaning to change them out to soft white energy saving bulbs. You could always check your butter against a piece of white paper before you start your frosting to see if the butter has a yellow shade to it. Good Luck.

marccrand Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marccrand Posted 7 Aug 2006 , 8:24pm
post #7 of 14

I read a thread a while ago about using a TINY drop of violet coloring in your white to help counteract the yellow in the butter. I used it on my strawberry basket cake and was very pleased but I emphasize again, TINY! The disadvantage is that if you need more, you need to match colors (the top of the basket is a different batch than the sides, no one else noticed, but I sure did!)

I've also used the Wilton White-White. I don't think it makes it a true white, but it does tone down the yellow.

One of the biggest differences is what you put around your cake. As you mentioned, the same white icing against the brown Harley cake seems much more white than the cake surrounded by true white tablecloth, pillars, candles, etc.

I think both cakes look great! icon_smile.gif

yukisaru Posted 7 Aug 2006 , 8:26pm
post #8 of 14

I am sorry I am one of thoes who just hates the all crisco recipes. They are ok with kool aid but other than that I don't like it.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 7 Aug 2006 , 9:08pm
post #9 of 14

You really are at the mercy of the lighting source. The only thing that will be a bright white in fluorescent lights is the pure white all crisco recipe. There's just nothing in it that can add color to the icing, so nothing other than white will show up under those light wavelengths.

I do 1/2 & 1/2 most of the time and whiten it by adding a dot of violet. In the mixer bowl, it may look a bit grey but on the cake it is white. I sometimes transfer the icing to a glass or clear plastic bowl and then check it under a fluorescent light to see how it looks. I decorate under incandescent lights.

The cake was lovely and I'm glad the bride was happy--at this point, it's really all that counts.

Rae

tnt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tnt Posted 8 Aug 2006 , 2:48pm
post #10 of 14

I just started decorating awhile ago, but have always used the all crisco icing. Do you have to refrigerate the 1/2 & 1/2 recipe because of the butter?

4dollars Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
4dollars Posted 8 Aug 2006 , 3:26pm
post #11 of 14

I refridgerate all of my cakes because I am very paranoid about something going wrong. I sometimes will use margarine if I know it will sit out for a long time, but most of the time I use butter becasue it tastes so good! (Diets are for the birds!!!!!)

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 8 Aug 2006 , 5:01pm
post #12 of 14

No, you don't need to refrigerate the 1/2&1/2.

Butter can stand out for a very long time--years ago, no one refrigerated butter. The fat to sugar ratio in the icing creates a sort of antibacterial environment that lasts for several days.

When I use this recipe, I encourage people to refrigerate leftovers because I don't know how they're going to handle the product after they get it home. I usually decorate no more than 2 days in advance of delivery, so if it's very hot, I just turn down the thermostat and put the cake in the coolest part of the house covered. If the filling is perishable, I refrigerate.

Rae

yukisaru Posted 8 Aug 2006 , 5:19pm
post #13 of 14

My BF made me waste 2 cups of butter because he thought it was bad because I left it out to use for frosting! I told him that it was ok that way but he would not believe me! Jezz well I am going to rub it in tonight.

kayscake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kayscake Posted 8 Aug 2006 , 11:58pm
post #14 of 14

4dollars,
the recipe that I use is 1/2 sweet tex (high ratio shortening) (crisco) and white margerine, for a more buttery taste I add clear butter extract.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%