Morning Sickness Need Help

Lounge By dolittle Updated 11 Aug 2006 , 7:03am by mistiek2006

dolittle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dolittle Posted 7 Aug 2006 , 6:44pm
post #1 of 19

Hey Does anybody have any tips or tricks to help with morning sickness?
My daughter is pregant and sick most of the day if not all icon_eek.gif . I was hoping someone on here might know something that would help.We have tried the crackers,sucking on candy and ginger root . None of these have worked. Thanks icon_biggrin.gif

18 replies
Pootchi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pootchi Posted 7 Aug 2006 , 7:30pm
post #2 of 19

I've read a report in Chatelaine magazine that said that ginger helped for pregnancy's morning sickness, motion sickness.... I don't know a lot about morning sickness, with my 3 pregnancies, I only had morning sickness in the last month of my third one icon_confused.gif

HTH

emmascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emmascakes Posted 7 Aug 2006 , 7:39pm
post #3 of 19

You're supposed to eat small amounts every hour or two hours - anything you can keep down. It's worse when your stomach is very empty apparently.

slejdick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
slejdick Posted 7 Aug 2006 , 7:43pm
post #4 of 19

I had terrible morning sickness, and found that if I ate something every couple of hours round the clock, that helped. I had a container on my nightstand with graham crackers and ginger snaps in it, and every time I woke up at night (which was pretty often, for bathroom trips, LOL!) I ate a couple of those.

Same during the day, I made sure to always be nibbling. I still didn't feel great, but I was able to get through the days.

I don't normally drink pop, but I did find that 7up helped sometimes also.

The main thing was to not let my stomach get empty, so the normal stomach acid always had something to work on besides the lining of my stomach.

hth, and good luck to her!

Laura.

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 7 Aug 2006 , 8:21pm
post #5 of 19

make sure you eat a healthy snack about every 2-3 hours.

mbelgard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbelgard Posted 7 Aug 2006 , 8:34pm
post #6 of 19

The advice about making sure your stomach doesn't empty helps for most people but not everyone. I had a neighbor telling me I was sick because I wasn't eating often enough with my youngest but that wasn't the case. My father tried telling me that my SIL had it just as bad but she didn't have to go in because my brother made her drink and stuff all the time, he wasn't by me so he didn't know how bad it was. No matter what I tried eating, drinking, etc I threw up 24 hours a day unless I was on meds. I won't tell you where I had to put them. icon_lol.gif
I went in dehydrated and spent several hours getting fluids, I took the stuff they gave me religously even though it made me sleep constantly because I didn't want to go to the hospital and had been told the next time they would admit me. It only took the ob 2 minutes to diagnose me with hyperemisis (sp?).
Try all the suggestions about food but if they don't work watch out for dehydration.
When I was on the meds I only felt right if I ate all the time, otherwise I felt like I was going to puke and this was all the way through the pregnancy even though we were able to go to a pill that wasn't as strong later.

calla74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
calla74 Posted 7 Aug 2006 , 10:14pm
post #7 of 19

I was pretty lucky I only had morning sickness during one of my pregnancies.

I had read in one of the baby magazines about suckers helping and I tried the blow-pops and they worked for me - but it may have just been mental. I've also seen pregnancy suckers that are supposed to help I think they were called preggo pops? I also found that making sure I didn't let myself get too hungry helped liked some of the other helpful CCers mentioned.

Congrats on your Grandbaby!

dolittle Posted 8 Aug 2006 , 12:35am
post #8 of 19

Thanks everybody! I'm not sure what she's going to try now we've tried the sucker,ginger, eating every 2 hr. When she had Aiden she was sick the hole time . And I know where you put those meds Mbelgard icon_lol.gif because she had to get those and they didn't work she still threw up. icon_cry.gif
If we find anything that works I will post it. If anyone has anymore tips please let us know. thumbs_up.gif

cakemommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemommy Posted 8 Aug 2006 , 5:13am
post #9 of 19

I had it bad with my second! I had to eat constantly until the early afternoon! Small healthy snacks help! If she can have her drink soy milk, I think the B12 in it is supposed to help. I didn't try it because I forgot all about soy milk!!! DUH!!! I drank a lot of ginger ale! Ginger is supposed to help really well. Altoids make a ginger candy! You really have to like ginger to eat those. I kept them in my purse and my car. They helped me quite a bit!

Amy

butterflyjuju Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butterflyjuju Posted 8 Aug 2006 , 5:26am
post #10 of 19

Here is what the nurses told me. Salty chips and lemonade eaten and drank together. Anything raspberry like tea or candy. Sweet tarts. Lots to drink. Ginger ale.

This is what helped me the most.

leta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leta Posted 8 Aug 2006 , 6:02am
post #11 of 19

I asked a nurse hotline one time if the sea bands work--they are wristbands with accupressure points-- She said they can help. So a friend tried it and it helped quite a bit. Doesn't eliminate completely, but alleviates the nausea to some degree.

I don't know why they don't put the information out there for helpful things that are safe. Give it a try, they are available at drug stores.

I had nausea quite a bit, but never threw up during 3 pregnancies. I did the never an empty stomach thing---of course I gained 50-60lbs with the first two--how smart am I? icon_confused.gif

klg1152 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
klg1152 Posted 8 Aug 2006 , 2:23pm
post #12 of 19

small snacks throughout the day is what helped me, also little sips of whatever you are drinking. the last resort was taking Taigan which was given to me by my OBGYN but I only took it when I had no other choice.

dolittle Posted 8 Aug 2006 , 7:04pm
post #13 of 19

Hi everyone! I had seen the sea bands on line I didn't know you could get them at the drug store. Thanks Leta I went by after work today and got them and some ginger ale to.
I told her some of the things like the rasberry and soy milk and some of the other things .
She is eating around every two hours even if it dosn't stay down .
B 6 three times a day is suppost to help but didn't do much for her.It might help someone else though. I think everyone is different.
Oh we tried the taigan from the Doc..She was still sick. icon_cry.gif
I just got off the phone with her and she is feeling a little better. icon_razz.gif
Hope this works.Thanks for all the tips. I hope this thread helps some one else in the future. So if you read this and have anymore tips . Please post them . thumbs_up.gif
Thanks for all the tip so far!

tschamberlain Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tschamberlain Posted 8 Aug 2006 , 10:06pm
post #14 of 19

I feel for her! I'm at about seven weeks myself. All I can say is ginger ale and anything mint works well for me. I like to have peppermint gum handy at all times.

I also noticed if I accidentally miss my prenatal vitamin or my Juice Plus+, I have it a lot worse the next day than if I had taken it. Yesterday I didn't even want to get up off the couch, but today I can actually chase my two year old and 18 mo. old neice without that constant feeling of nausea.

Hope she finds what works for her! I know I can't wait until I get to that 2nd trimester (it was like night and day with my first one, hope this one's the same!) icon_rolleyes.gif

duckduck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
duckduck Posted 8 Aug 2006 , 11:53pm
post #15 of 19

A friend of mine swears by the seabands. They sell them at walgreen's with the other travel sickness remedies.

4kids Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
4kids Posted 9 Aug 2006 , 12:47am
post #16 of 19

Two words.... Peppermint Tea. It's proven to naturally settle the stomach and is caffeine free. That and popsicles were got me through the last one.

cookinnut Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookinnut Posted 9 Aug 2006 , 2:16am
post #17 of 19

Hopefully hers will go away, with my first it didnt. I was sick from the 13th week until I delivered. I had "hyper-emisia" (sp?) Anyways, the dr ended up putting me on Zofran which is a drug used for chemotherapy patients but is also considered the wonder drug for pregnant women. It did the trick although I was still really nauseated the whole time. They also had me take extra vitamin B and Benedryl which slightly helped. Hopefully something will work for her. Also, I'm 6 months pregnant with our 2nd right now and let me tell you, WHOA..totally different, not one single day of morning sickness (YET) which my hubby is glad since he was forewarned that if this pregnancy went the same as the last one then he was going for a little snip-snip.

ShabbyChic_Confections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShabbyChic_Confections Posted 10 Aug 2006 , 8:16am
post #18 of 19

I feel your pain, during my 3 pregnacies I lost about 15 pounds in the first trimester, nothing helped, not even the meds, they only helped me to sleep and not feel sick while sleeping, I've been in the emergency room with contractions with the 3 of them and the last one I ben admitted twice with contractions and dehydratation. I know exactly how you feel, just be strong and pray, ask your doctor about meds, maybe they work, not all women are the same.
I wish the best luck!!

mistiek2006 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mistiek2006 Posted 11 Aug 2006 , 7:03am
post #19 of 19

Do they have her on a prenatal that has added iron??? With my first one, they had to change my prenatals because the iron was causing my vomiting and it made me dehydrated. When they changed, it was still there but more of a nausea. The good news is there are a couple different medicines out there that they can try. Good luck

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%