Need Advice....thomas Train

Decorating By Strazle Updated 26 Mar 2011 , 6:07am by SweetTater

Strazle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Strazle Posted 20 Jun 2007 , 4:45pm
post #1 of 7

I have to do a 3d Thomas cake this weekend. I looked at the Wilton pan but it is only one-sided for a flat cake. I pm'd a poster that has a nice Thomas the train cake but have no reply yet. Anyone have any advice or instruction? Thanks in advance.

6 replies
miriel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miriel Posted 20 Jun 2007 , 4:49pm
post #2 of 7

PM me and I'll send you the scanned instructions from the Debbie Brown book.

NewbeeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NewbeeBaker Posted 20 Jun 2007 , 6:18pm
post #3 of 7

Here is another tutorial for Thomas the Train....

http://thomasthetankenginecake.blogspot.com/

TxAgGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TxAgGirl Posted 20 Jun 2007 , 8:37pm
post #4 of 7

If you look in my photos you'll see a 2-tiered Thomas cake. It's a cake that looks like a cake but with Thomas' face. I don't know if this will do for your purposes, but it was fairly easy to do.

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 20 Jun 2007 , 11:50pm
post #5 of 7

I did one. i used an 11x15 and cut it into 3 equal sections and stacked. Now it was 11x5 and 6 inches in height. Then I cut about an inch from the front section and added the extra inch to increase the height of the back end. So now it is 5 inches tall in the front and 7 inches in the back. I added a dowel in the back as it was getting tall and starting to lean a bit. Then I carved into the Thomas shape. It is best to sit down and sketch it out first to determine where you want to cut everything. I write in out in inches...make it go very smoothly.

I made the face up ahead of time out of fondant. I made it a 3 inch circle.

I did find that tutorial that was just posted very helpful, though I did do mine a little differently. Let me know if you have any more questions.

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=478303

Strazle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Strazle Posted 21 Jun 2007 , 2:15am
post #6 of 7

Thank you for your replies. Your cakes are great! I will try to follow the tutorial. Thanks a bunch!

SweetTater Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetTater Posted 26 Mar 2011 , 6:07am
post #7 of 7

great tutorials!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%