Icing Tip

Decorating By pbertone1005 Updated 7 Aug 2006 , 4:52pm by mrboop

pbertone1005 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pbertone1005 Posted 7 Aug 2006 , 1:41pm
post #1 of 20

Wanted some feedback. Does the icing tip help? I seem to be taking off too much icing during the smoothing process. Thought maybe the tip would make a difference. Need opinions. Thanks, Pat

19 replies
sweetamber Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetamber Posted 7 Aug 2006 , 2:12pm
post #2 of 20

Yes, Yes, YES! I love the icing tip- it really helps get an even layer of icing quickly. And since you start with an even layer,it is much easier to smooth!

Amber

missyek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missyek Posted 7 Aug 2006 , 2:52pm
post #3 of 20

Absolutely! If I spatula ice, my covering is always uneven and most of the time there is not enoughicing on it. With the icer tip, it is so much easier to smooth and get it even and not take off too much icing. I LOVE mine!

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 7 Aug 2006 , 2:54pm
post #4 of 20

YES..YES...YES...It helps alot!! I always use mine because like you,I was taking too much off and you could see the chocolate cake underneath the white icing.Now that doesn't happen.

luvbakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvbakin Posted 7 Aug 2006 , 2:55pm
post #5 of 20

I think the icing tip actually puts more icing on the cake then I would just using a spatula. After smoothing it off it comes out with the right amount of icing every time.

BJsGRL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BJsGRL Posted 7 Aug 2006 , 2:55pm
post #6 of 20

After just using an open tip on my icing bad to put multiple bands of icing around my cakes, then smoothing, I finally bought the icing tip last weekend - so much easier!!! I love it - have no idea why I didn't buy it a couple years ago!

DianaMarieMTV Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianaMarieMTV Posted 7 Aug 2006 , 2:57pm
post #7 of 20

Well worth the investment! I can't ice a cake to save my life if I don't use it! icon_smile.gif

tabs8774 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tabs8774 Posted 7 Aug 2006 , 2:58pm
post #8 of 20

i also love mine!! saves alot of time and aggravation!!(sp?)

ps3884 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ps3884 Posted 7 Aug 2006 , 3:05pm
post #9 of 20

I have to agree with the previous posts. I do so much better using the icing tip. I find it easier, quicker and have better results.

Theav Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Theav Posted 7 Aug 2006 , 3:05pm
post #10 of 20

I just used one for the first time on my last cake. Being new to cake decorating, I found that it really helped, like someone said, to give you an even layer of icing and then you just take off as much as you want.

millionairess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
millionairess Posted 7 Aug 2006 , 3:07pm
post #11 of 20

Hi , im quite new to all this. Just wondering what icing tip ur reffering to? I always use a spatula & yes it s always uneven. Can anyone post a pic.? Thanks!

just_for_fun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
just_for_fun Posted 7 Aug 2006 , 3:11pm
post #12 of 20

i would also like to know what u r talking about. never heard of an icing tip, just iced my first cake - terribly uneven!! thanks...

missyek Posted 7 Aug 2006 , 3:14pm
post #13 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by millionairess

Hi , im quite new to all this. Just wondering what icing tip ur reffering to? I always use a spatula & yes it s always uneven. Can anyone post a pic.? Thanks!

It is the big giant tip #789. Use it with a 16" bag to fit the tip and you are good to go! It is a tip that has a serrated edge and smooth edge: http://www.wilton.com/store/site/product.cfm?id=3E30C1CD-475A-BAC0-5CDB07AA69762110&fid=3E3324A4-475A-BAC0-5ED544474B973201

talking2jen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
talking2jen Posted 7 Aug 2006 , 3:15pm
post #14 of 20

I have the same question as some of the other newer users? I know what an icing tip is but I'm not familiar with the process you are referring to? Would someone let us know how to do this for even top coat frosting?

kharvey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kharvey Posted 7 Aug 2006 , 3:31pm
post #15 of 20

I don't know what the "official" method would be, but I go around the side of the cake with the icing tip and then make lines on the top of the cake. And then just smooth the icing out from there. If I apply the icing with just a spatula, I get crumbs all in my icing. With the icing tip, I don't. It is great and I never ice a cake without it.

sweetamber Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetamber Posted 7 Aug 2006 , 4:01pm
post #16 of 20

Here is a link to wilton's website where it shows using the icing tip- scroll down to see it.

http://www.wilton.com/cake/cakeprep/icing/index.cfm

I don't do it exactly like this, but it will give you a general idea icon_wink.gif

Amber

pbertone1005 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pbertone1005 Posted 7 Aug 2006 , 4:22pm
post #17 of 20

Thanks everyone for the input. I guess I'd better go buy an icing tip. Pat

AmyKay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmyKay Posted 7 Aug 2006 , 4:33pm
post #18 of 20

Do you crumb coat before you use the icing tip? Or do you use the icing tip layer as your crumb?

missyek Posted 7 Aug 2006 , 4:35pm
post #19 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyKay

Do you crumb coat before you use the icing tip? Or do you use the icing tip layer as your crumb?

Nope, never do a crumb coat. Don't need to with the icer tip. thumbs_up.gif

mrboop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrboop Posted 7 Aug 2006 , 4:52pm
post #20 of 20

I think that the icing tip is the most important tip to have, IMO. I love it. You get the right amount of frosting every time. I have tried the spatula method of frosting a cake, doesn't work very well. The frosting is always uneven. Buy the tip you will love it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%