Warning! Litter Box Cake & Plastics

Decorating By SwampWitch Updated 6 Aug 2006 , 10:27pm by SwampWitch

SwampWitch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SwampWitch Posted 6 Aug 2006 , 1:47pm
post #1 of 8

I am in awe of the amazing cakes on this site! I have a concern, though, with the Kitty Litter cakes being served in a (clean, new, washed) litter pan, since I doubt they are made of food-grade plastic. Some really nasty stuff from plastic can be leached into the food!

Here's a link. No doubt your browser will find many more.

http://www.checnet.org/healthehouse/education/quicklist-detail.asp?Main_ID=353

Cheers, from
SwampWitch

p.s. Many people brine meats in trash bags, too (also not food-grade).

7 replies
puzzlegut Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
puzzlegut Posted 6 Aug 2006 , 3:30pm
post #2 of 8

I made the kitty litter cake once and didn't experience any problems. It's important to thoroughly wash a brand new litter box before using. Also, you could line the pan with parchment paper.

SwampWitch Posted 6 Aug 2006 , 4:02pm
post #3 of 8

The toxins from plastics may cause long-term health problems that won't show up right away.

Cheers, from
SwampWitch

knoxcop1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
knoxcop1 Posted 6 Aug 2006 , 4:11pm
post #4 of 8

Sounds like Puzzlegut has the answer! icon_biggrin.gif

Not such a big deal, if you ask me--it's not like they're going to be eating the cake out of the "non-food-grade-pan" for the rest of time, anyway. icon_confused.gificon_surprised.gif

Lining it with parchment should do it. thumbs_up.gif

--Knox--

ASupergirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ASupergirl Posted 6 Aug 2006 , 4:12pm
post #5 of 8

So how do we know if it food-grade plastic then???...P.S... I know the kitty poop is done with tootsie rolls...but what is the litter??? TIA

puzzlegut Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
puzzlegut Posted 6 Aug 2006 , 5:41pm
post #6 of 8

When I made it, I baked and cooled 2 different flavors of cake, one being white and the other being spice cake (you could also replace the spice cake with chocolate cake). Then all you do is crumble the cakes into a large bowl and mix it with some crushed vanilla sandwich cookies and vanilla pudding. You may not need to add all of the pudding because if you do, it will become soggy. You just want enough pudding to moisten your cake.

birdgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
birdgirl Posted 6 Aug 2006 , 5:50pm
post #7 of 8

The litter I used for mine was Grape Nuts cereal. No one at any of it so I didn't worry about the container.

SwampWitch Posted 6 Aug 2006 , 10:27pm
post #8 of 8

I think we are so used to plastics, especially in food preparation, that we may feel that all plastics are created equal.

Check out this page from the Canadian Cancer Society:

http://www.cancer.ca/ccs/internet/standard/0,3182,3172_369485__langId-en,00.html

Try "storing food in plastics" on your search engine if you want to know more.

To ASupergirl: the best way to tell if it's food-grade is to ask yourself if this was made to store food. If unsure, don't use it or contact the manufacturer.

Cheers, from
SwampWitch

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%