Wedding Cake Hawaiian Theme Help!!

Decorating By LadyBugMom Updated 21 Jun 2007 , 6:50pm by Metalmonky

LadyBugMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LadyBugMom Posted 19 Jun 2007 , 7:37pm
post #1 of 14

Okay I have an idea but it's more on the fun side of things. She's would like simple, elegant. She's also thinking of Marzapan Fruit on it possible cascading down it. 2 - 3 layered cake. Not sure yet if she wants Fondant or icing only. I was thinking extention work just a little on Fondant, yet she wants it of course not very expensive. ANyway any ideas would be helpful and VERY appreciated.
Thank you,
Teya

13 replies
Bashevita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bashevita Posted 20 Jun 2007 , 8:13pm
post #2 of 14

I found this picture..I hope it helps!
LL

tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 20 Jun 2007 , 8:47pm
post #3 of 14

Another idea is to decorate with plumeria flowers (made out of gumpaste) - which is the flower used to make the hawaiian leis. (My brother lived in Hawaii until last fall).
I have seen them on some cakes but the name was called something else. I'll see if I can find them.

You could use a colored icing or fondant to cover the cake to match the bride's colors and then decorate with the plumeria. It would keep the Hawaiian theme and still be elegant.

tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 20 Jun 2007 , 9:22pm
post #4 of 14

Here is a picture similar to what I had in mind.
LL

Bashevita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bashevita Posted 20 Jun 2007 , 10:26pm
post #5 of 14

I just found these two pictures that really remind me of Hawaii. I love the colors as well!
LL
LL

TanuvasaMama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TanuvasaMama Posted 20 Jun 2007 , 10:46pm
post #6 of 14

The plumeria idea is great. Orchids are a big thing here in Hawaii too. Or even Hibiscus...they are great because they come in such a large array of colors. Just don't put anything on it that is flamingo, monkey or parrot like...people have included those things in their "luau" type things and locals roll their eyes when they see that stuff...

If you google "leis" I'm sure you could get some wonderful ideas for flower combinations. Usually, men here wear maile leis for their weddings, so maybe you could incorporate those?

What are her colors? That would help me know what types of things to suggest...

miriel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miriel Posted 20 Jun 2007 , 10:48pm
post #7 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracycakes

Another idea is to decorate with plumeria flowers (made out of gumpaste) - which is the flower used to make the hawaiian leis. (My brother lived in Hawaii until last fall).
I have seen them on some cakes but the name was called something else. I'll see if I can find them.

Frangipanis icon_smile.gif

keonicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
keonicakes Posted 21 Jun 2007 , 3:14am
post #8 of 14

For leaves, you could make some maile. Look up ceremonial leis and you will find it. I don't think my spelling of this plant is correct though. Look in the galleries for beach themed. Don't use parrots, monkeys or jungle stuff. Totally not Hawiian. I lived on Kauai for a few years and we had hybiscus, lots of orchids and plumeria. Hope this helps,
Amy

Queenbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Queenbaker Posted 21 Jun 2007 , 3:55am
post #9 of 14

The orchids your talking about are called dendrobium orchids. If you go to aloha.com they have all kinds of wedding cakes decorated and you can order orchids from Hawaii. My daughter is having the same themed wedding 7/7/07 and I'm making a 3 tiered cake with the orchids and ferns & babies breathe on each layer. Very simple but pretty.

Carol

TanuvasaMama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TanuvasaMama Posted 21 Jun 2007 , 9:50am
post #10 of 14

keonicakes, yup, you spelled that right.

I also thought this cake was pretty cool. Maybe the make could give you some tips on the hut and just alter it a bit so it's more hawaiian and not fijiian...You could do the hawaiian islands instead of fiji.

(I'm just looking for a good excuse to give this hut a try!)

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo-7593.html

sunlover00 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sunlover00 Posted 21 Jun 2007 , 11:04am
post #11 of 14

My wedding cake was a beachy theme. You could always add those cute Hawaiian flowers to it like this one. We were just there in March!
[img][/img]
LL
LL

keonicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
keonicakes Posted 21 Jun 2007 , 2:53pm
post #12 of 14

Does this girl have a favorite island? I ask, because there are 120 something of them with 8 being the main islands. Each island has it's own "feel" to it and they are not the same. For instance, the big island (Hawaii) is known for its volcanos, Kaua'i is known as the garden isle. Molakai'i is desert, Oahu and Maui are both extremely touristy and have lost so much of the natural beauty and feeling. Too commercialized. Too much of the mainland has changed it. Yellow hybiscus is the state flower and each island has it's own. Color as well. For instance, the color for Kaua'i is purple. It's known for its beautiful water falls and rain forrests. Rainbows are daily. I'm rambling, sorry.
Give us an idea of her favorite island and we can brain storm. Let us know, there are a few girls here either from the islands (me for one) and some are still there. Let us know.
Amy
This will be a georgeous cake!!!!!!

sjlarby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sjlarby Posted 21 Jun 2007 , 4:14pm
post #13 of 14

I would check out http://cakelava.com. They are a famous hawaiian bakery. They do so many hawaiian weddings and offer a lot of great ideas to incorporate Hawaii and wedding.
they were part of the inspiration for a hawaiian cake I had to make.
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_317803.html

Metalmonky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Metalmonky Posted 21 Jun 2007 , 6:50pm
post #14 of 14

Here Are some pictures that I found as well. Hope they help!! (I'm not sure if all the flowers are "Hawaii" or not but I think they are pretty)
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%