Uk Ccers..........your Thoughts Please

Decorating By MikeRowesHunny Updated 19 Jun 2007 , 11:26am by MikeRowesHunny

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 19 Jun 2007 , 10:19am
post #1 of 4

OK, maybe not just UK CCers, but anyone who regularly bakes UK style rich fruit & Maderia cakes! I have a bride who is, unfortunately, getting married the day before I return from my vacation. We are only away for 2 weeks however, so I could feasibly bake and decorate her cakes and deliver them before we leave (stacked and finished ready to be put on the table). Now I know for a fact that a fruit cake covered in marzipan and fondant is going to survive the 2-3 week wait until the wedding just fine, but what about Maderia cake if she doesn't want fruit? Will that last 2-3 weeks if covered with marzipan & fondant and still be nice to eat? Thanks for any advice thumbs_up.gif

3 replies
banba Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
banba Posted 19 Jun 2007 , 10:55am
post #2 of 4

I know that an iced madeira cake can be frozen provided no jam is used and then it needs to dry out after thawing.

Madeira cake does benefit from ripening but I can't tell you how long for. I think the reason fruit cakes keep is because of the alcohol content in them plus the almond paste sealing it.

If you were flavouring the madeira like orange could you add some grand marnier or something? Sorry I could not be of more help!

I bake madeiras so I too would like to know the answer to this question.

sweet_as_tisse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet_as_tisse Posted 19 Jun 2007 , 11:07am
post #3 of 4

In Lindy Smiths books, she talks about her madeira cake recipe.. she allows a week to decorate and then a week after that for the cake to be eaten..

hope this helps some!!

cheers

kylie

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 19 Jun 2007 , 11:26am
post #4 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweet_as_tisse

In Lindy Smiths books, she talks about her madeira cake recipe.. she allows a week to decorate and then a week after that for the cake to be eaten..

hope this helps some!!

cheers

kylie

Yes, I'd seen that, so I'm wondering of a few more days would make much of a difference (depending on design I'm reckoning on 18 days maximum between baking and eating)?!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%