Bct

Decorating By potatocakes Updated 11 Jun 2005 , 10:06am by flayvurdfun

potatocakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
potatocakes Posted 9 Jun 2005 , 3:46pm
post #1 of 5

I'm thinking of attempting a BCT with the Luke Skywalker/Darth Vader image I have for my son's 7th birthday. In the past, I usually trace the outline onto the cake with a toothpick and freehand the rest, but it seems like it would be much easier to do a BCT. I've never done one before, though. The image I'm using is kind of detailed. Should I use a number 1 tip to do the outline and 2 to fill? What icing is best for the black outline? Also, since Darth Vader is totally black, should I outline him in black and use a charcoal grey for his clothes and mask so that it's distinguishable from the outline? Thanks for all your help! My son's birthday is tomorrow, party on Saturday, and I really want this to be a great cake for him!

4 replies
tanyascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tanyascakes Posted 10 Jun 2005 , 5:20am
post #2 of 5

Hi. I usually use either a 1 or 2 tip. Just remember to use a stiff buttercream icing for the outline-it'll hold up better. I would say yes to using the charcoal grey for the details on the mask and clothes. That way you can clearly see the design. Or maybe just use clear piping gel on the portions that you want to really pop out!
HTH!
Tanya

potatocakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
potatocakes Posted 10 Jun 2005 , 1:51pm
post #3 of 5

Thanks Tanya! I'm nervous just thinking about attempting this thing. Tonight's the night, though, to get it done! I'll post a pic next week if it turns out!

Misdawn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Misdawn Posted 10 Jun 2005 , 2:14pm
post #4 of 5

I agree with Tanya. Use a dark charcoal grey (as close to black as you can get but with a slight noticeable difference.) The piping gel is a great idea too!

flayvurdfun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flayvurdfun Posted 11 Jun 2005 , 10:06am
post #5 of 5

good luck.... I have done a few transfers now and none have come out right.... I think your idea for the transfer is great and that alone will make it a great one.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%