Major Meltdown Going On Here! Please Read

Decorating By katleg Updated 5 Aug 2006 , 5:08pm by LittleLinda

katleg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katleg Posted 5 Aug 2006 , 2:41am
post #1 of 18

I just made a dinosaur cake, and the dinosaur is standing up, well, i went to put it in the fridge, hoping to go to bed and i notice the head wobbling...and i think to myself...oh #%$#@ the head is going to break off...so i shut the fridge...come back 5 seconds later...and sure enough...the head fell off!
icon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif so i cry...and i regroup i put too many dowel rods in the cake and it cracked the head in two.

i repair and it looks okay, i just need a head now! so i have to go back to the store, and i remember on cake central that you can bake a round cake in a bowl..and i think perfect for a head! but how do i do it?! PLEASE PLEASE HELP ME IF YOU KNOW HOW!

im desperate.. seriously.

17 replies
katleg Posted 5 Aug 2006 , 2:42am
post #2 of 18

also, i know the bowl has to be pyrex, but do you just pour the batter in there?? and how long do you bake it?? and is it somewhat sturdy, cuz i really cant afford another head breaking. i might have a heart attack.

lasidus1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lasidus1 Posted 5 Aug 2006 , 2:46am
post #3 of 18

oooh, i'm sooo sorry about your decapitated dinosaur! i don't know the answers to your questions, but i would guess that the bowl size would depend on the dinosaur's size and that you would spray and flour the bowl just in case.

here's bump!

mariamom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mariamom Posted 5 Aug 2006 , 2:52am
post #4 of 18

I will say that I made a "round" cake in one of my metal mixing bowls. It was pretty easy. I greased and floured the heck out of the bowl before I put the batter in and didn't fill it very high. It was easy to get out, and it wasn't very heavy only using the metal bowl. Good luck, I'm so sorry about the oops!

xandra83 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xandra83 Posted 5 Aug 2006 , 2:53am
post #5 of 18

Use the bowl just like you would a cake pan. Put a flower nail or something to conduct heat into the cake. It should be pretty dense if you bake it like that. i just got done baking a wondermold cake and it's really dense and sturdy. Good luck. Sorry to hear about you dino.

katleg Posted 5 Aug 2006 , 2:55am
post #6 of 18

here are the remains! [/img]
LL

katleg Posted 5 Aug 2006 , 2:56am
post #7 of 18

you can only laugh right?!?! and try to fix it..its just cake!...kinda icon_sad.gif

nanni Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nanni Posted 5 Aug 2006 , 2:58am
post #8 of 18

Looks like you have the hardest part done-I would probably make the head a little denser to hold up-I have made cakes in bowls before-just grease and flour really well and use the nail like stated before-you can do it!! Good luck -

ChristaPaloma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChristaPaloma Posted 5 Aug 2006 , 3:04am
post #9 of 18

lmao....at your avatar.......... that's so cute!

But really, sorry about your dino sore.... it is just cake.... a dinosaur from the legend of sleepy hollow if noone's paying attention....

But seriously.... the bowl thing should work fine. Definitely grease and flour.

Good luck on the repair!

katleg Posted 5 Aug 2006 , 3:05am
post #10 of 18

does anyone have and advice on how long to bake it for..

and should i use a whole cake mix..or just a little more than half a bowl?

waltz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
waltz Posted 5 Aug 2006 , 3:14am
post #11 of 18

I did one cake once in a Pyrex bowl...it took quite awhile, I think about an hour even. Keep watching it. If it's deep and thick it will take more time than a wide thin cake. Sorry I can't help more. But your dinosaur body is really cute, I'm sure it will be fine.

eriksmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eriksmom Posted 5 Aug 2006 , 3:24am
post #12 of 18

I did a doll cake in a large metal bowl once. I didn't know about putting a flower nail in to conduct heat at the time, and I think I used two cake mixes at once. I baked it for about 45 minutes, and used a long bamboo skewer to check if it was done. I really don't remember if it was, but I always just keep baking and poking until the stick comes out clean. I also think I used a light coat of non stick cooking spray.
If you do use a pyrex bowl, make certain that it says explicity that it is for oven use. Some are not, some are only good for stovetop, etc.
I also used a long metal frosting spatula to help get it out of the bowl when it didn't just pop out. They are very flexible and you can run it around the sides of the bowl without cutting up the cake.

traci Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
traci Posted 5 Aug 2006 , 3:39am
post #13 of 18

katleg,

I do not know if you have started baking yet...but this is another idea that might work. I am wondering if you could somehow make the head using rice crispy treats molded in the bowl or maybe the wondermold pan. It would not be as heavy and would probably stay on better. I know that Connie(boween) made her 3-D deer head using this similar method.

Good luck...I know it is going to look great no matter what you do! icon_smile.gif

katleg Posted 5 Aug 2006 , 3:42am
post #14 of 18

well my pyrex bowl is only four cups, which is perfect for the head,...so i dont think it will take quite as long..but i will watch it...and keep ya'll posted...thanks for the great advice!!

projectqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
projectqueen Posted 5 Aug 2006 , 3:43am
post #15 of 18

I have not baked in a bowl but when I use the 3" deep pans and fill them very full, I always use flower nails in the center to conduct the heat to the middle so it cooks. I also bake at 325 in those instances and keep the cake in the oven longer. Sometimes a full 6 or 8 inch pan that is 3" deep will take over an hour at 325, like maybe an hour and 10 or 15 minutes.

I imagine it would be the same in the pyrex or mixing bowl. I would use the flower nail, lower the temp a bit and keep a close eye on it. I guess how much batter you use will depend on the size head you need and the size bowl you have.

Probably your best bet if you have to shape the head is to use a denser cake, like a pound cake consistency. Oh yeah, and let the cake maybe sit out overnight before you try to re-attach it, if you have the time, so it's not so soft.

Good luck. I'm so sorry about the head. Please post the finished cake, I'm sure you'll do great at fixing it. The rest of him looks cute....

katleg Posted 5 Aug 2006 , 3:50am
post #16 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by eriksmom

If you do use a pyrex bowl, make certain that it says explicity that it is for oven use. Some are not, some are only good for stovetop, etc.

mine does not say anything bout the oven or not..but i went to their website that it said... PYREX bakeware is a must have for any serious kitchen. Available in an array of functional shapes and sizes, each individual piece can be used for baking, cooking, microwaving, serving, and storage.Image

jwong9664 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jwong9664 Posted 5 Aug 2006 , 3:50am
post #17 of 18

i made a rubber ducky cake and used a small bowl from wal-mart. i looked around for just the right shape (had to be kinda pointed like a cross b/w a mug and bowl). the pyrex bowls were too wide, so i bought a bowl from one of the dish collections. it was only about 2 bucks and worked really well. you just have to make sure that it says oven-proof on the bottom. i filled it about 3/4's full and baked it on 330 degrees for about 55 mins. good luck, hope that helps icon_biggrin.gif

LittleLinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleLinda Posted 5 Aug 2006 , 5:08pm
post #18 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by traci

I am wondering if you could somehow make the head using rice crispy treats molded in the bowl or maybe the wondermold pan.

Oh I think that is a great idea! You could really mold the head the way you want to!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%