I Am An Idiot, But At Least I Fixed It! (Warning...long.)

Decorating By arosstx Updated 18 Jun 2007 , 5:08pm by moniquerei

arosstx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
arosstx Posted 18 Jun 2007 , 4:22pm
post #1 of 3

Here's a helpful tip for any of you that might happen to lose your mind and actually put your impression mats in the DISHWASHER.....STOP!! Don't do it!

Mine came out nice and clean, but also nice and warped. I was in a hurry after doing a cake and must have lost my mind temporarily to think I could put them in there. At $5+ a pop, I do not want to replace them so I started thinking....I figure if they're ruined anyway, what would it hurt to try to 'fix' them?

I got out my iron as I figured it was the heat of the dishwasher that warped them in the first place, right? I put the mat, textured side down, on a regular clean dishtowel. I then covered it with another clean dishtowel and IRONED it on the iron's hottest setting. It took several passes, but it did start to flatten out. When I thought I had it completely flat, I let it cool. A little of the warping returned! Dang it!

I tried it again, but this time when I had it flat I put a heavy cookbook on top of it (with the towel still on top of it) and left it alone. I just went back to it and it's back to normal, no warping! I am so excited! Now I just have to do the other one.

I figured while the iron was heating up I would share this with you. Maybe someone else can save an impression mat today, ha ha! icon_smile.gif

2 replies
CakeL8T Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeL8T Posted 18 Jun 2007 , 4:35pm
post #2 of 3

Hey, thanks for the tip!! I've warped candy molds before but never thought about ironing them!!! I just hate it when someone else thinks of that simple little fix that makes me go..."DUH"!!!
Thanks again acrooxtx!!
Carrie

moniquerei Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moniquerei Posted 18 Jun 2007 , 5:08pm
post #3 of 3

I don't have an impression mat, but along these lines, I have put my fondont mat in the dryer for a few minutes to flatten it out then I let it sit with a dish towel an a cookbook on it and it cake out perfect.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%