Double Boiler??????

Decorating By Momofjakeandjosh Updated 4 Aug 2006 , 3:22am by cakesbyjess

Momofjakeandjosh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Momofjakeandjosh Posted 3 Aug 2006 , 10:38pm
post #1 of 5

This may be a dumb question to all you seasoned decorators. . . but what does it mean to melt something on a double boiler????? How do I do that?

4 replies
keriskreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
keriskreations Posted 3 Aug 2006 , 10:42pm
post #2 of 5

A double boiler is a type of pan - where you put water in the bottom, and then you have a top pan that fits over it, and it melts things, like chocolate, etc over the water, without risking getting water in what you are melting. You can get one at just about any kitchen or store like Target, etc.
They are truly worth the investment, I LOVE mine!

patton78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patton78 Posted 3 Aug 2006 , 10:44pm
post #3 of 5

Well, there are a few different ways to do this. You can buy an actual double broiler at the store. You can also make a "homemade" one by using a saucepan 1/4 to 1/2 filled with water and putting a bowl down into it that fits around the top of the pan (hope that makes sense). Just make sure the bowl does not touch the water. Gently simmer the water, put the chocolate in the bowl and it will slowly melt. Stir occasionaly, this will take a while but it is well worth it. Just make sure to do it over low heat, do not try to do this quickly.

SugarCreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarCreations Posted 3 Aug 2006 , 10:44pm
post #4 of 5

Not a stupid question at all. A double boiler is essentially a pot within a pot its two pots bascially one fits inside the other. You fill the bottom pot about half with water and bring to a boil the heat from the steam melts your chocolate or other ingredients in the top pot. If you do have one you can use a glass bolw over the top of a 2 quart saucepan and do the samething. Hope I did not confuse you further.

Rgds

cakesbyjess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbyjess Posted 4 Aug 2006 , 3:22am
post #5 of 5

Everyone has done a great job describing double boilers, but I just wanted to add my two cents. I have one and I absolutely love it!!! Like patton78 said, just make sure the top pan or bowl doesn't touch the water in the bottom pan ... you will scorch the chocolate (or whatever you're melting in the pan), and it will be ruined. Don't feel like you have to buy one ... the homemade version with a saucepan and glass bowl works just as well! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%