How Much?

Decorating By AngelaP Updated 13 Jun 2005 , 2:36am by ntertayneme

AngelaP Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AngelaP Posted 8 Jun 2005 , 8:15pm
post #1 of 12

How much do you charge per person for a wedding cake decorated with buttercream? With Fondant? How about a cupcake wedding cake? Thanks for your help.

11 replies
magentaa23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
magentaa23 Posted 8 Jun 2005 , 8:26pm
post #2 of 12

buttercream... $2
fondant.... additional $1.50 a person
cupcakes.... $1.25 per person plus cost of rental for the stand icon_smile.gif

tcturtleshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcturtleshell Posted 9 Jun 2005 , 2:41am
post #3 of 12

BC = $1.25 per slice
Fondant = $2.25 per slice
CC's = $1.00 per CC

BC Basketweave & other time consuming designs will cost $2.00 per slice, fillings also cost more.

AngelaP Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AngelaP Posted 10 Jun 2005 , 2:02am
post #4 of 12

What would you charge for the cupcake tree rental or any other type of cake stand? And, would you charge $2.50 per person for a cheesecake wedding cake?

Thanks again for your help!

Cakemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakemaker Posted 10 Jun 2005 , 2:29am
post #5 of 12

I also would like to know how to charge for the cake stands and if they want a fountain? Do you charge rent and how much?

cupcakequeen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakequeen Posted 10 Jun 2005 , 2:44am
post #6 of 12

how big/small are your cupcakes? It's totally under charging if you are only asking $1-$1.25 per cupcake. I suppose if you were just doing a plain swirl of BC that's fine, but if you are decorating with flowers, etc...I would charge min. $2 per cupcake. For a stand rental...it depends on how many it holds and what style, if you have to decorate it, etc. I'd say anywhere from $10 up. Fountains are of course more.

cakeconfections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeconfections Posted 10 Jun 2005 , 2:46am
post #7 of 12

I start at 1.75 for a basic cupcake and it goes up from there. You really shouldnt be charging any less for a cupcake then you would a slice of cake. They are both a serving. As far as the stand I would proably charge a rental fee of 15% of the cost. Dont forget to get a deposit for the full price of the item in case it doesnt get returned.

SquirrellyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SquirrellyCakes Posted 10 Jun 2005 , 3:26am
post #8 of 12

Amen Cakeconfections, charge a deposit for the full replacement value! Charge a rental fee and make certain they know that if they damage or break your stands, their deposit is partially or totally forfeited. Sometimes these things are dumped in the back of an open pick up truck and left there in the rain for days!
I find the prices quoted here very low. It depends on your location. I cannot locally find a place that makes wedding cakes for less than $3.50 a serving. Most people that I know also charge about the same for well decorated cupcakes.
I often have paid $50 and up to rent stands, plus a deposit.
I think pricing is very much related to where you live. You need to shop around to see the going rate in your area. Check out the better bakeries, the prices that hotels or catering halls charge.
There are a few people on this site from Alberta, you may want to ask them.
Hugs Squirrelly Cakes

AgentCakeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AgentCakeBaker Posted 11 Jun 2005 , 1:31pm
post #9 of 12

I charge the following:

2.00 for bc
4.00 for fondant
1.50 for cupcakes

I checked around to local bakeries in my area and some are charging more than me. Even Publix charges 2.00 per slice b/w 75 and 100 guests.

flayvurdfun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flayvurdfun Posted 11 Jun 2005 , 1:34pm
post #10 of 12

Ya know I think all those prices are fair, especially since each is in a different area....

SquirrellyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SquirrellyCakes Posted 13 Jun 2005 , 1:58am
post #11 of 12

The important thing is to make certain that your prices are current - many folks are a year or two behind in their prices. Also make sure that you know the going rate for weddings cake whatever they are covered or filled with. If you are comparing the prices of your homemade and elaborately decorated cakes with places like Sam's and Costco, you are likely undercharging substantially. These stores undercut the prices charged by better bakeries.
If your cakes are from scratch or made to include items like butter, sour cream, cream, whole milk, then they are worth much more than a cake mix made per the box instructions. If you use milk, cream, butter and such in your icings, then that icing is more expensive to produce than all shortening and water icing. If you fill your cakes with anything other than standard buttercream, the filling is more expensive. If you make fondant or gumpaste decorations or elaborate Royal Icing decorations, add fondant pearls and such, then these cakes are more expensive. If you transport the cake and do the set-up and the table set-up, there is also a fee charged for this. If you arrange fresh or silk flowers, there is a fee for this.
Hugs Squirrelly Cakes

ntertayneme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ntertayneme Posted 13 Jun 2005 , 2:36am
post #12 of 12

I want to check with some local bakeries around me... I was always told to do this but I never have .. then you set your prices accordingly .. when I first started doing cakes (about 6 years ago) I charged $1 a serving for cakes that had no complicated work .. I soon found out that I was way too cheap and I was making nothing off them ... I now charge $1.75 a serving and up .. depending on the complexity of the cake.. fillings, different flavorings all cost more .. fondant, well I haven't had the opportunity to do one yet .. I hope I'll be doing that soon icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%