Playground Cake!

Decorating By pinknlee Updated 8 Aug 2006 , 12:14am by nokddng

pinknlee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinknlee Posted 3 Aug 2006 , 6:38pm
post #1 of 9

Okay, I am making a playground cake. I have the design figured out. I am basically doing a slide on the top and on the sides making it look like a castle. However, I need something I can use for sand that people can eat. Any suggestions?

8 replies
RobLee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RobLee Posted 3 Aug 2006 , 7:32pm
post #2 of 9

how about finely crushed graham cracker?

DianaMarieMTV Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianaMarieMTV Posted 3 Aug 2006 , 7:36pm
post #3 of 9

I use graham crackers, but I've also heard of people using brown sugar or crushed 'Nilla wafers. Sounds like a cute cake idea icon_smile.gif

debsuewoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debsuewoo Posted 3 Aug 2006 , 7:36pm
post #4 of 9

or crushed nilla wafers....

cakesbyamym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbyamym Posted 3 Aug 2006 , 7:58pm
post #5 of 9

Never tried the vanilla wafers...good suggestion. I use brown sugar that I whisk to fluff it. Works great every time. I'll have to remember the vanilla wafers...

Amy

kharvey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kharvey Posted 3 Aug 2006 , 7:59pm
post #6 of 9

I have used vanilla wafers as sand. I was afraid that brown sugar would make it too sweet and would clump. I used my food processor to crush the wafers until they were "sandy" then sprinkled them heavily onto a freshly iced cake. They did not alter the "sweetness" of the cake and everyone raved about the cake. You can see it in My Photos.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 3 Aug 2006 , 8:02pm
post #7 of 9

On my sea shell cakes (photos in gallery) I used raw sugar for sand and I really like the look of it. I have also used brown sugar.

pinknlee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinknlee Posted 7 Aug 2006 , 9:18pm
post #8 of 9

Looks like 'nilla wafers are the winner!

nokddng Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nokddng Posted 8 Aug 2006 , 12:14am
post #9 of 9

Nilla wafers sound good. I've used vanilla creme cookies..pulsed them in the food processor, turned out well. icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%