Daughter's First Birthday

Decorating By alicia_froedge Updated 4 Aug 2006 , 2:00pm by Lousaria

alicia_froedge Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alicia_froedge Posted 3 Aug 2006 , 3:30pm
post #1 of 19

I am stumped!!! To explain my daughter....she will be turning one soon. And my son is 13 months older than her. My daughter has no interest in anything girly. I swear she will be the toughest tomgirl in school, thanks to her brother. She likes Thomas The Train and the Wiggles. All favorites of my son. I don't want to do my precious little girls first birthday in that. Does anyone have any ideas of what I can do???

18 replies
fourangelsmommie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fourangelsmommie Posted 3 Aug 2006 , 3:40pm
post #2 of 19

Butterflies, a princess cake, how about a seseame street cake? Dogs, cats, flowers, or use the 'bear' pan and modify it to make 'her'?

Or a big birthday gift packaged with a big bow, teddy bears, etc.

Search thru the galleries under celebrations or 3D birthdays.

Even try a color scheme if she seems to prefer one color over another.

Good Luck!

oceanspitfire Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
oceanspitfire Posted 3 Aug 2006 , 3:44pm
post #3 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by alicia_froedge

I am stumped!!! To explain my daughter....she will be turning one soon. And my son is 13 months older than her. My daughter has no interest in anything girly. I swear she will be the toughest tomgirl in school, thanks to her brother. She likes Thomas The Train and the Wiggles. All favorites of my son. I don't want to do my precious little girls first birthday in that. Does anyone have any ideas of what I can do???

Hmm tough call, I don't see anything wrong with doing what she's into at the time, next year it could change LOL. My 3 yr old niece was right along side her older brother when she was 1 and 2, playing with his trucks and cars. Never had any dolls, well she did have a few but never played with them. Now she's 3 and she has dolls and Dora everything, she's into tea parties and dressing up. Every kid is different. I'm not a pro cake decorator by any means but I've been making cakes for the nieces and nephews and watching them grow up for 20 years (11 of them ranging now in age from 1 month old to 20), and I've seen their interests change DRASTICALLY from year to year (and sometimes not)

Personally I don't think there is anything particularly boyish or inappropriate about making Thomas or a Wiggles cake for a little girl!

I hope some parents can back me up here- that interests change and sometimes they dont, and that's ok too icon_biggrin.gif- she may stay a tomboy or she may not.
I've seen some cute Thomas cakes on this site! I'd love to make a train cake period! With the cake 3D and putting it down on the cakeboard which has a set of tracks on it.

alicia_froedge Posted 3 Aug 2006 , 3:45pm
post #4 of 19

She does have this white teddy bear that she loves to tackle. icon_smile.gif I could do the 3D bear. Should I use that as her smash cake?

SwampWitch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SwampWitch Posted 3 Aug 2006 , 3:52pm
post #5 of 19

I think the color theme is a good idea, too. Maybe you could use The Wiggles' colors (nice jewel tones: blue, purple, red, yellow/gold) for balloons and decorate the cake (maybe flowers?) with those colors, too.

Cheers, from
SwampWitch

Rambo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rambo Posted 3 Aug 2006 , 3:55pm
post #6 of 19

Could you do Thomas but make him pink? The wiggles are unisex, I always thought, but I'm guessing you want something all her own. How about an animal theme like a zoo or a farm, or aquatic with fish. I've seen the 3D teddy bear pan turned into a little girl and then the same with the mini pan used for the smash cake. Ladybugs, girly and yet a bug.

I've got two boys I imagine if they had a sister I'd be in the same boat as you. Good luck, let us know what you decide on.

mconrey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mconrey Posted 3 Aug 2006 , 4:03pm
post #7 of 19

We just had our daughter's 1st birthday and we did a beach theme. I made a sandcastle cake. It was really easy and a lot of fun to do.

Do you have the Wilton 2007 yearbook? There is such a cute cake in there that I want to try. It's on page 8 of the book & uses ice cream cones for party hats around the cake. Very cute!

Or you could do farm animals, ladybugs, bumblebees, etc. Or what about Blue's Clues or Sesame Street? There are really a lot of options out there.

alicia_froedge Posted 3 Aug 2006 , 4:11pm
post #8 of 19

trust me I know all about kids changing their minds about their interest. For my son's first I was all prepared for a giraffe theme then at the last two weeks we changed to dump trucks. I plan to do the Thomas theme for my son.

But I think I have come up with a plan...... the idea is in the wilton yearbooks. I will do a white teddy bear for her smash cake which will sit on top of two tiered cake in a color theme (she has such a fun personality..I thought of a light purple but I think bright colors would fit her better.) Still deciding on a color.

alip Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alip Posted 3 Aug 2006 , 4:12pm
post #9 of 19

There is an adorable partyware pattern with a little girl wearing a party hat (head and hat only). There is also a boy version. I have seen several cakes on this site made like the boy version. I think it's a cute alternative to a character themed party. I've also seen a cute farm party pattern if she likes animals.

Check out birthdayinabox.com or birthdaysdirect.com for more ideas. Good luck!

qtdbklyn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
qtdbklyn Posted 3 Aug 2006 , 4:32pm
post #10 of 19

Isnt there female trains on the Thomas Train Engine show?! i think one is named Daisy...why not make a Thomas cake and then make the female to 'feminine - up" the whole theme. And then of course use pink/feminine colored plates and napkins?

mkerton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkerton Posted 3 Aug 2006 , 4:41pm
post #11 of 19

My son turned 1 three months ago, and I was also stumped....but I kind of think the 1st birthday is really more for us parents...dont you think? I mean I couldnt really tell you what Drew was into...not like he was watching TV or anything, so I just picked a cute boyish theme from a local party store (it had a fire truck on it) and I made a round cake with a firetruck and little firemen on top (toy truck & men)---I am such a newbie...and then for the smash cake I made a 6" round with a big #1 in stars. I thought it came out really good...and because I used bright colors...he looked great eating that cake!

funkychica1_2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
funkychica1_2004 Posted 3 Aug 2006 , 7:27pm
post #12 of 19

I would go with the Wiggles...they aren't as Tomboyish as the Thomas stuff (which I loved on Shining Time Station when I was little and now I'm soooooo prissy!)

alicia_froedge Posted 4 Aug 2006 , 12:35pm
post #13 of 19

YAY!!!! I finally have decided on what to do for her birthday, sort of. I have a bid for the 3d bear. If I win I'll do a white cuddly bear with a tiered cake with bees and red and denim colors. Should I get out bid on the pan....... !!!! Last year at this time I went into labor with her at a Colts game....so I am considering a colts theme. Second option would be to do pink camo. My husband is an avid hunter and is soooo proud of the fact that she can quack the duck call!!! icon_smile.gif My poor little angel that was going to grow up and go shopping with Mommy and get our nails done while brother and daddy were hunting will most likely end up hunting with them!!! YAY, I am excited that I finally came up with something original!!!! Thanks CC for all your help!!!

kicky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kicky Posted 4 Aug 2006 , 12:51pm
post #14 of 19

i love it when it get round to my little boys birthday! i pick a theme at least 6 months in advance and co ordinate everything from balloons, banners, party bags and cake. It's more for me at the moment than him. For his first birthady i done an animal theme. For his second it was pirate and this year it was the circus already decide on next year it's going to be fire engines and fancy dress. with lots of red and yellow etc. etc. He is so into firemen i think he is going to grow up to be one.

At one we can still choose the theme if you want to do pink and girlie do it. If she is going to be a tom boy you might not have a say when she gets older. But as everyone say kids always have a favorite every five minutes.

Good luck i'm sure what ever you will do she will love. But remeber it's you thats going to remeber it she won't and when she looks back on the photos, she will thank you for it.

atkin600 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
atkin600 Posted 4 Aug 2006 , 1:01pm
post #15 of 19

I'm going to see the Colts play in Jackson, MS in August. Is it common for women to go into labor at their games? Even though I used to work in labor and delivery I would hate to have to deliver any babies!

alicia_froedge Posted 4 Aug 2006 , 1:25pm
post #16 of 19

I had gone to my doctor that morning and was scheduled to be induced the next morning. He told me that if I would go in to labor that night to please hold off till the game was over. icon_smile.gif Then after that appointment my FIL called to tell us he had two free tickets to the game. I was all for it!!! I started going into labor in the final two minutes of the game. I never told my husband till we got to our hometown (an hour away) that I had been having contractions every five minutes since the end of the game. icon_smile.gif So now its this big joke with my doctor. He said had he known we had tickets that he would have put me on bed rest and went to the game with my husband!! But at least I waited till the game was over!!!

ape Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ape Posted 4 Aug 2006 , 1:36pm
post #17 of 19

Sounds like you already have an idea, BUT......what about doing Dorothy the Dinosaur from the Wiggles with lots of RED roses......maybe cupcakes with red roses and a Dorothy smash cake? Just another idea (and yes, clearly I've seen a few Wiggles shows)!

alicia_froedge Posted 4 Aug 2006 , 1:40pm
post #18 of 19

That would be a really cute idea too!!!!! Way to pull in the "Wiggies" as they are called in my home!!

Lousaria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lousaria Posted 4 Aug 2006 , 2:00pm
post #19 of 19

I think the small bear cake would be cute as a smash cake. The other idea of Dorthy is cute too though.
I'm having the same dilemma, my Daughter's b-day is on Tues. and I don't have a clue what to do for her cake. For my son's 1st b-day I made him a Blue's Clues cake (he loved watching it), for my daughter's 1st b-day I made her a Tellitubbies cake (she like them). For my 3rd child I have no clue, we only have 2 t.v.s so they are always occupied with what the other 2 are watching and my youngest doesn't even really know what the t.v. is. The invitations I sent out had ballet slippers on them but I'm not sure how incorporate them onto a cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%