3-D Automobile Akes

Decorating By blairdotcom Updated 3 Jul 2007 , 12:39pm by vitomiriam

blairdotcom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blairdotcom Posted 18 Jun 2007 , 2:44am
post #1 of 11

My friends graduating from high school and gonig to an auto mechanics school. i would like to do a 3-d car cake, but i would like to avoid the wilton 3-d car cake pan if i can. Do you have any step-by-step, or ANY instructions at all for a car or truck cake?

10 replies
miriel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miriel Posted 18 Jun 2007 , 2:48am
post #2 of 11

If you have access to her books, Debbie Brown has instructions on how to make a vintage car and a Volkswagen beetle.

steffla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
steffla Posted 18 Jun 2007 , 2:50am
post #3 of 11

This was passed on to me in an earlier thread when I asked the same question. It is by boonenati and I hope it helps!

http://members.optusnet.com.au/boonenati/

btw , which debbie brown books are they in, I Have a few but it is not in them, thanks!

NewbeeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blairdotcom Posted 1 Jul 2007 , 3:59pm
post #5 of 11

Thanks so much for the replies!
I may use the link for the 'Cakes By Natalia' for my direction, I found that one to be the most useful (without having to buy the book)

cakedujour Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakedujour Posted 1 Jul 2007 , 5:51pm
post #6 of 11

I did a volkswagon several years ago and after a ton of thought on how to go about it, I finally baked a single layer 10" cake and cut it across the diameter. I spread buttercream on each half and stood them together, cut side down, buttercream together. Then I very simply sculpted the windshield, hood and trunk. Oreo cookie wheels, fondant headlights and detail. The cake was a hit.

blairdotcom Posted 1 Jul 2007 , 5:52pm
post #7 of 11

do you have any pictures of how it turned out?

cakedujour Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakedujour Posted 3 Jul 2007 , 3:35am
post #8 of 11

I do have a photograph but no scanner. I'll see if I can get someone to scan it for me and then I'll post it for you.

morganacake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
morganacake Posted 3 Jul 2007 , 8:24am
post #9 of 11

Youcan find a 3D car cake (a green WV Beetle) in this Debbie Brown's book: "naughty cakes". The photo is available here:

http://www.debbiebrownscakes.co.uk

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 3 Jul 2007 , 12:27pm
post #10 of 11

here is how i made lightning mcqueen, I dont know if that would help at all.

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-190601.html

vitomiriam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vitomiriam Posted 3 Jul 2007 , 12:39pm
post #11 of 11

I recently made a Toyota Supra. I started to use the Wilton 3-D pan and that didn't end up helping because it was too high and too short. The best tip I can give you is that I took a side view picture of the car and enlarged it on a copy machine to 13" long. then I used that as a pattern to sculpt the shape. The wheels are syrofoam covered in fondant but I wish I knew about the tip about covering Oreos, because that seems like a better route to go. Then I made all the side view mirrors, door handles, etc. out of fondant. I actually stood beside my car which is also a Toyota (Camry) and looked at it to get the proper shape. It was alot easier than I thought.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%