Margaret Braun - Help Solve The Mystery!

Decorating By emmascakes Updated 20 Jun 2007 , 6:20pm by mamacc

emmascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emmascakes Posted 17 Jun 2007 , 7:27pm
post #1 of 13

I'm such a big Margaret Braun fan but she seems so elusive! She doesn't update her web-site, I don't hear about her on here or seem to be able to find out if she's going to write another book etc.

Based in the UK I don't get to watch any cake tv so don't see her that way either. Anyone over the pond have any clues about this mysterious woman?

12 replies
weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 17 Jun 2007 , 7:39pm
post #2 of 13

I havent heard anything either. Nothing on Food Network or magazines.

SophieBelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SophieBelle Posted 17 Jun 2007 , 7:44pm
post #3 of 13

I'm a fan of her work, too. I saw her once as a judge on a cake show on Food Network and also once as a guest on Bobby Flay's Throwdown show. He was going to challenge a cake designer to a competition, so he visited Margaret Braun's place to get some tips. Also, if you have ever seen anything about Bobby Flay's wedding to that actress, you'll see that their wedding cake was done by her.

miriel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miriel Posted 17 Jun 2007 , 8:05pm
post #4 of 13

I love her work! Her book and cakes are very unique.

mini-cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mini-cake Posted 19 Jun 2007 , 1:07am
post #5 of 13

I keep checking her website and looking to hear about maybe another book but have heard nothing. Have you tried writing her an email?

adven68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adven68 Posted 19 Jun 2007 , 3:02am
post #6 of 13

Warren Brown did a show in Miami about the desserts there and there was a big bash which MB made the cake for. She was flown in from NY with it and they showed her with WB decorating it and putting it together....but that was a year or two agao at least....

mamacc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamacc Posted 19 Jun 2007 , 4:34pm
post #7 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by adven68

Warren Brown did a show in Miami about the desserts there and there was a big bash which MB made the cake for. She was flown in from NY with it and they showed her with WB decorating it and putting it together....but that was a year or two agao at least....

I saw that one too! That was the show that really got me interested in her work. I wish she would write a book that goes into more detail on how she carves and paints her cakes!

Courtney

emmascakes Posted 19 Jun 2007 , 5:16pm
post #8 of 13

I have tried emailing her (feeling like a weird stalking fan now) but didn't get a reply. I don't have access to any cake decorating shows so don't even get to see her work that way. I love her book and wouldn't change a thing about it - I prefer her style to the books that offer step-by-step instructions - hers is more of an inspiration.

mini-cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mini-cake Posted 19 Jun 2007 , 6:54pm
post #9 of 13

There's a movie calle dthe Great New Wonderful I believe her cakes are in it :
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/13468807/

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0402230/

czyadgrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
czyadgrl Posted 19 Jun 2007 , 7:00pm
post #10 of 13

I think she did the cake for the Food Network anniversary or their awards party this year ... there was a show about that.

mamacc Posted 19 Jun 2007 , 10:22pm
post #11 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by emmascakes

I have tried emailing her (feeling like a weird stalking fan now) but didn't get a reply. I don't have access to any cake decorating shows so don't even get to see her work that way. I love her book and wouldn't change a thing about it - I prefer her style to the books that offer step-by-step instructions - hers is more of an inspiration.

I know what you mean Emma...I like how her book is an inspirational book. I'd just like to learn more about the specific techniques she uses, especially how she paints her cakes. I also e-mailed her about this but never heard anything back....I'm sure she gets a ton of e mails asking her cake deco questions though. icon_smile.gif

Courtney

emmascakes Posted 20 Jun 2007 , 5:04pm
post #12 of 13

She does talk about cake painting in her cake and it's fun to experiment. I mix lustre dusts with paste colour and vodka and paint on my cakes. I have also sponged colour on to get a dappled effect to emphasise light and shade.

mamacc Posted 20 Jun 2007 , 6:20pm
post #13 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by emmascakes

She does talk about cake painting in her cake and it's fun to experiment. I mix with paste colour and vodka and paint on my cakes. I have also sponged colour on to get a dappled effect to emphasise light and shade.

That's exactly what I did on a recent cake I made, mixed black gels with silver & super pearl dust and it came out really pretty and much easier than coloring fondant but it's hard to get a really even coat. So far I've found the dusts to look better than gels when painting, so maybe I need to go out and buy a bunch more lustre dusts, LOL. icon_biggrin.gif I also really want to try the paint that squires kitchen sells. It looks really neat! Have you worked with it yet Emma?

Courtney

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%