No Home Business In Nj Allowed - I'm So Bummed

Business By CakesByEllen Updated 1 Aug 2005 , 4:50am by littlebubbieschocolates

CakesByEllen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByEllen Posted 8 Jun 2005 , 3:38pm
post #1 of 11

Everyone,

I'm so bummed. I wanted to look into setting up a legitimate business for making and decorating cakes & cookies from my home. I also work full time so this was just a glorified hobby that I wanted to make legal. I'm a pessimist and was concerned that somehow someone would get sick from one of my cakes, sue me and take all my personal posessions. So I was thinking of forming an LLC company. Well, I wrote to my local department of health and they responded. The said "Chapter 12 of the New Jersey State Sanitary Code prohibits any home preparation of food for sale." I did write back questioning whether there was any way to start my home business, but haven't heard back. It was just this morning.

Has anyone done a home based business in NJ? I know I could work from a state-approved kitchen (like a school or church kitchen) but that doesn't work for me. I do this after the kids go to bed at night.

I just thought there would be a way for me to make this work.

Thanks for listening.

ElleC icon_cry.gif

10 replies
peacockplace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peacockplace Posted 8 Jun 2005 , 5:07pm
post #2 of 11

In FL you can do it from home... as long as you have a seperately built kitchen with three diffrent sinks and a ton of other hoops to jump through. It can be done, but it won't be cheap! I'm guessing your state is similar. Here you have to meet all the requirements just like you were a bakery donw town!

CakesByEllen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByEllen Posted 8 Jun 2005 , 6:54pm
post #3 of 11

peacock place -

So what do you do? Do you just make for family or do you sell on the side w/o official licensing?

ElleC

Kristy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kristy Posted 8 Jun 2005 , 7:25pm
post #4 of 11

NY is the same way. The only way you can have a home based business is if you have pretty much a closed off kitchen with it's own entrance and appliances. I was bummed out when I got all the Dept of Health papers too.
BUT as long as you don't "formally" advertise, I think you're safe? Maybe go around to the local bakeries and become best friends with the owners!

Mchelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mchelle Posted 8 Jun 2005 , 7:47pm
post #5 of 11

I sell on the side, no advertising. Word of mouth only. I was told that when you start advertising you become a competitor and therefore need to be licensed.

peacockplace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peacockplace Posted 8 Jun 2005 , 9:10pm
post #6 of 11

No advertising at all.... not even cards until I get my kitchen done!

JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 10 Jun 2005 , 7:04pm
post #7 of 11

In Oregon, the health department rules say no food, HOWEVER, home bakeries are licensed by the Department of Agriculture. Before you give up, check with them. I have since built a kitchen in my garage, but when I had a home bakery (domestic bakery) all I needed was separate storage (marked cabinet) separate refrigeration (little fridge enough for milk/butter/eggs) NO PETS, and a couple of minor other sanitation things.

JoAnn

AgentCakeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AgentCakeBaker Posted 11 Jun 2005 , 2:21pm
post #8 of 11

In my area we have to have a separate kitchen. I work full time too and cake decorating is a hobby for me in my spare time or whenever my one year old is sleeping. I too would love to start my own business but for now I do cakes by word of mouth.

momsandraven Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momsandraven Posted 16 Jun 2005 , 1:55am
post #9 of 11

I just found out today that I am in the same boat. thumbsdown.gif I am so bummed!! I had just come up with a really nice business card design, and now it looks like I'll have to keep them to myself. icon_cry.gif I think I will make myself some personal 'calling cards', that have my name and contact info, but do not mention cakes. I can just handwrite "cakes" on the back or something when I give them to someone. I live in a pretty small town, so I'm hopeful that word of mouth will be enough to get me going, and by time I need to advertise maybe I'll be able to afford renting time in someone's kitchen. Keep your spirits up! Where there is a will, there is a way!

tirby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tirby Posted 1 Aug 2005 , 12:20am
post #10 of 11

Does anyone hava any idea of the Idaho State regulations by chance? I love making cakes but cant go out and rent a seperate building for this.

littlebubbieschocolates Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlebubbieschocolates Posted 1 Aug 2005 , 4:50am
post #11 of 11

i guess im lucky maine isnt that stricked. i do have to have seprate stuff and a metal table. but that was pretty much it..

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%